• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project Primid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderspam

Smash Journeyman
Without inspecting the animation file, I would guess that specific actions in the specials section (not subactions) or data in the "other" section of the character's run and walk animations allow the running and walking subactions to link together. If it's information in the subaction's other section, then perhaps replacing these animations with those of captain falcon, etc. would fix??

If its in the specials section.... I'm not sure how to isolate those lines of data.... I dont have a usb gecko.
The Animations only replace the old ones, and in no way edit the data. I actually have not touched any of the data, since I am only replacing old animations, and nothing associated with them. Even if I change the attributed, such as making run speeds higher or lower, I can see the effect, although he still loops in spot. I think what I need to do is go into Primid and scope out some data files that match the movement up to his running or something. I dunno.

KuroBit

Smash Apprentice
I think the problem is that the playable characters movement is handled differently than the non-playable characters. Playable characters must have variable walking speed, so instead of the program moving the player at a set speed, it changes the speed of the animation, and it's the actual animation that's moving.

When that "move character" flag is checked, it sets the characters coordinates to wherever the animation takes it. (This also happens in moves such as wolf's Forward Smash and Sonic's punch-punch-kick)

The difference with AT's and other non-playable characters is that they don't need variable walking speed, so the movement is hard-programed into it's movement code, and the animation can just stay in place.

I'm actually just guessing on a good ammount of that, so tell me if I'm wrong XD... But I've tested a few things and I'm thinking that's how it works. Is there any way to force the character to move in a certain direction in PSA?

Thunderspam

Smash Journeyman
ATTENTION ANYONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO USE THE MOMENTUM COMMAND IN PSA.

Because I sure don't. Anyways, I had this crazy idea. Basically you uncheck the "moves character" box in animation flags. Make sure that loop is checked, and then insert a momentum code that give the character horizontal velocity. I am not sure if this will work or not, but I am hopeful.

Whoever can help first really. If you want to do it yourself, go grab yourself a FitZakoboy.Pac file. Otherwise you can just give me instructions and I will do it.

EDIT: Hrm... I got it working myself. It works for a second, but then once the animation hits the loop, he does that stupid teleporting thing again. I may have a solution for this, just give me a few minutes.

EDIT THE EDIT: Nope... Nothing. I tried adding a loop, but that just freezes the game (Maybe because it is infinite you ******). I'm going to try some other stuff

SUPER EDIT: Right... His animations don't quite match up with the stupid teleporting sequence, but for the most part he can run. This is an error I'll have to fix later.

mofo_

Smash Ace
I think the problem is that the playable characters movement is handled differently than the non-playable characters. Playable characters must have variable walking speed, so instead of the program moving the player at a set speed, it changes the speed of the animation, and it's the actual animation that's moving.

When that "move character" flag is checked, it sets the characters coordinates to wherever the animation takes it. (This also happens in moves such as wolf's Forward Smash and Sonic's punch-punch-kick)

The difference with AT's and other non-playable characters is that they don't need variable walking speed, so the movement is hard-programed into it's movement code, and the animation can just stay in place.

I'm actually just guessing on a good ammount of that, so tell me if I'm wrong XD... But I've tested a few things and I'm thinking that's how it works. Is there any way to force the character to move in a certain direction in PSA?
hmmm..i dont think its cuz non-playable characters cant do the movement..im pretty sure just any model swap will do that...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLNlxygzYvY < that video shows the old way of model swapping using existing playable characters and how it also affects the walking animations. you can see captain samus teleporting backwards while moving forward

Thunderspam

Smash Journeyman
hmmm..i dont think its cuz non-playable characters cant do the movement..im pretty sure just any model swap will do that...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLNlxygzYvY < that video shows the old way of model swapping using existing playable characters and how it also affects the walking animations. you can see captain samus teleporting backwards while moving forward
Yeah, this is exactly what is happening. I have temporarily fixed it, but it is not perfect, and looks like ***.

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
Have you tried using event 0E010200? It adds speed, and works a bit differently than the 'set momentum' command. That might help.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
I like just "Primid" as a name.

As for the movement... that seems a symptom of most every unusual moveset swap. The only possible fix I can think of (and this is a very poor fix) is to, at the end of the animation, force the character forward a distance equivalent to what is covered during the animation. Perhaps by having something like:

Character Momentum: Incredibly high horizontal momentum
Synchronous frame = 1 or fewer frames
Character Momentum: 0

That might get him forward fast enough to not be teleporting all over the place.

Thunderspam

Smash Journeyman
Well as much as I hate doing this...

I gotta stop Project Primid for a while. I have a couple of things right now that I need to figure out, and I can't be distracted by it. It might be a month or so, or maybe a bit longer. Thank you for everyone who watched and cared. As much as I would like to finish this for you guys, I can't.

But that does not mean I am going to leave you without something. Primid would like to say Hi to all of you. Go ahead and download him (This version doesn't walk... sorry). I even included a file full to the brim with his animations, so if one of you feel like finishing him while I am away, go for it. I feel bad and I really wanted to finish this myself, but I am just overwhelmed by real life right now.

Sora Master2.0

Smash Journeyman
Well as much as I hate doing this...

I gotta stop Project Primid for a while. I have a couple of things right now that I need to figure out, and I can't be distracted by it. It might be a month or so, or maybe a bit longer. Thank you for everyone who watched and cared. As much as I would like to finish this for you guys, I can't.

But that does not mean I am going to leave you without something. Primid would like to say Hi to all of you. Go ahead and download him (This version doesn't walk... sorry). I even included a file full to the brim with his animations, so if one of you feel like finishing him while I am away, go for it. I feel bad and I really wanted to finish this myself, but I am just overwhelmed by real life right now.
The fact that your being honest, giving us the download, and letting us finish him, proves that your so awesome. Dont worry. Thnkx, I apperciate it. ^-^
Good luck ThunderSpam.
EDIT: Sorry for being dumb. -.-
Where do I put the animations? The folder marked"Primid Animations"

Eldiran

Smash Lord
I agree very much with SMaster2. I appreciate the work you put in, and that you're offering up your work for completion. To be honest, if you're only going to be gone a month, then you don't have to give this up -- characters can take months to make in the first place, so don't feel like you need to rush. But, regardless, thanks and good luck.

Anyway, I like the idea of this character a lot, so if no one would like to pick him up, I'll try to make him. Let me know what you guys think.

thanyou

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to hear about your real life problems, I hope all ends well on your end, and thanks so much for the download, I'll have alot of fun with this.

Go for it Eldrain, I'd like to see if this walking bug can be fixed =D

Oh and I don't know if this'd be of help to you but this guy Kyzon from KC:MM fixed the walking bug the Real Super Sonic had, maybe you could talk to him and ask what he did. (The Real Super Sonic is a Motion + PSA hack where his normal animation and running animations are that of his FS Form.

Sora Master2.0

Smash Journeyman
*again*
Where do the animation files go for the Primid. The folder marked"Primid Animations". >.>

thanyou

Smash Journeyman
@ Sora

All you gotta do is download all the .pac/.pcs files in Primid and place them in your sd card under Fighter/Zakoboy/

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Go for it Eldrain, I'd like to see if this walking bug can be fixed =D

Oh and I don't know if this'd be of help to you but this guy Kyzon from KC:MM fixed the walking bug the Real Super Sonic had, maybe you could talk to him and ask what he did. (The Real Super Sonic is a Motion + PSA hack where his normal animation and running animations are that of his FS Form.
Thanks for the lead! I'll look into it.

Thunderspam

Smash Journeyman
The file named "Primid Animations" is exactly what it sounds like, and what I said it was. It is a folder filled with all of Primids animations. I left this behind because if anyone feels like continuing, then you don't have to go through the tedious work of extracting all of his animations, as I already did that.

And thanks Eldrian. It really makes me want to finish Primid myself, but I find myself without a Wii, which is troublesome and makes testing impossible. I hate to sound kinda really suckish, but if you want to work on him and see what you can figure out while I take the time off of the project, then that would be helpful. Once I am back on top of everything (Which may be a closer goal than I imagined) then I would be happy to work on this project with you.

By the way, I kind of like the name Primid. I have been using it for a while, and it has sort of rubbed off on me. So his name is now officially simply Primid.

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
Check his post where he says he putting a stop on it for a while. The key word you should put your cursor on is: "Primid"

Eldiran

Smash Lord
And thanks Eldrian. It really makes me want to finish Primid myself, but I find myself without a Wii, which is troublesome and makes testing impossible. I hate to sound kinda really suckish, but if you want to work on him and see what you can figure out while I take the time off of the project, then that would be helpful. Once I am back on top of everything (Which may be a closer goal than I imagined) then I would be happy to work on this project with you.
*thumbs ups* I understand; making anything is nigh impossible without direct access to a Wii. This was your project, so feel free to take control of it when you get back. After all, the longer I'm working on it, the more likely Primid is to get some sword moves :p

By the way, I kind of like the name Primid. I have been using it for a while, and it has sort of rubbed off on me. So his name is now officially simply Primid.
Wooooh!

Eldiran

Smash Lord
So Eldiran, any luck on fixing Primid up?
I'm a bit sluggish in starting this primarily because I chose to do some research. (That is, I went through SSE as Zero and encountered all the Primids I could :p ) I'm nearly done that. Odds are I'll really get started next week but I have located the Primids' data file after much searching, so this time hasn't been without any progress.

I should warn you guys though that I tend to work pretty slowly... Zero took a little over 2 months to make his first release. Thankfully Primid is a little simpler in some ways (less moves...). Unlike Zero, though, I'll try to keep you guys up to date on my progress because this project is already well known. Feel free to bug me about my progress so I keep my word on that :p

Thunderspam

Smash Journeyman
I'm a bit sluggish in starting this primarily because I chose to do some research. (That is, I went through SSE as Zero and encountered all the Primids I could :p ) I'm nearly done that. Odds are I'll really get started next week but I have located the Primids' data file after much searching, so this time hasn't been without any progress.

I should warn you guys though that I tend to work pretty slowly... Zero took a little over 2 months to make his first release. Thankfully Primid is a little simpler in some ways (less moves...). Unlike Zero, though, I'll try to keep you guys up to date on my progress because this project is already well known. Feel free to bug me about my progress so I keep my word on that :p
Well Primid is still going to have a full moveset. The Alloys do have specials, although they have nothing inside of them. But let's avoid giving him sword moves, since he is not a swordsman character. I only want to use his standard moves, and fire moves, since I feel that they well define Primid (Normal Primids are capable of using fire based attacks, as shown by their hard punch, which is currently Primids fsmash).

I promise you that I will get back on top of this. Thanks Eldrian. Let me know any ideas you have.

thanyou

Smash Journeyman
But I made a texture for Candle and everything, and I won't let that work go to waste, so here it is;

Here's Candle joining the fray at last, with an epic moveset to boot!

From the side

Fiery eyes and gloves? Win

Did you guys really think I wouldn't make this fire?

Stupid CMPR textures completely ***** the quality of the glove >:[

The bottom and side of his shoe has lava on it as well as the cuffs of his gloves and the ring thing around his neck. And the green parts came out worse than I had imagined they would...

A slightly better view

I may edit out the ring around his neck with Brawl box and if I can do that I'll make it so he's just the top part of his head, the fiery feather, and the main body + limbs.

MaxThunder

PM Support
this thing is interesting... and for some reason i made me want to put the yellow alloy on mario... but anyways... i might try to help whith this in the future... if i dont get too lazy...

Thunderspam

Smash Journeyman
I gotta say Thanyou, while the idea is good, it could use some work. If you don't mind, I am going to critique it.

First, I would change the colour of his hat from a green to a more white colour, sort of like you did to his body. Fix the colour of his leg cuffs too, since they are still green. Fix his gloves too, they look... well... not great. The fire on them seems like something a little kid would do, and it just seems tacky to the whole attire. The lava and fire emblem are also unnecessary. Since he is supposed to be a candle, I would give his gloves and shoes a white colour also. I would leave his face and appendages purple though, since it would still be Primid, just dressed up like a candle.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Nice texture work thanyou!

Well Primid is still going to have a full moveset. The Alloys do have specials, although they have nothing inside of them. But let's avoid giving him sword moves, since he is not a swordsman character. I only want to use his standard moves, and fire moves, since I feel that they well define Primid (Normal Primids are capable of using fire based attacks, as shown by their hard punch, which is currently Primids fsmash).
Hmm, I wonder if those specials actually work at all? Anyway, I was liking the sword moves mostly because the Sword Primids have such cool animations. Odds are I won't be able to implement the sword anyway, and I do agree Primid is more iconically not a sword fighter.

Anyway, tiny progress report: I finished my *ahem* research, and did some more fiddling with trying to get the Walk/Run to function. No good. I did make the Primid his proper size, however -- Red Alloy was originally set to 1.3 as size, so now Primid is appropriately shrimpy. Also changed the landing lag on aerials to not be absurd.

Regarding the problems with making Walk work... I'm finding it increasingly likely either an expert will have to hook up the walk animations to move the character properly for us, or we'll have to consider another method of locomotion entirely. (Yeah, I don't know how that would work either.)

Thunderspam

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, I sort of liked his beastly size. But I am better with smaller characters anyways, so its alright. But as for Primids sword animations, don't think I haven't used them. His Uair and his Utilt (Currently both the same animation until I find a better Utilt or Uair) are sword animations, as well as his Dtilt. I also planned for his Dsmash to be his sword animation where he spins towards the ground. No matter which Primid you look at in SSE, they are always the same character. That means that his animations are universal and can be used by the other versions of him. Certain animations, such as his run do not even have multiple versions. The folder contains all of his animations from all of his different forms (Fighter, Fire, Sword, Boom, Big, Metal)

I'll talk to some of the guys I know who are in the WBR about the walk cycle.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Yes, mwahah! Thanks to Kryal's awesome BrawlBox .59, I've found a solution! The bone TransN controls the character's actual movement. For some reason this bone doesn't register for Primid, but! I can change the TransN of walk, run, etc. to 0 so that Primid doesn't move in the animation. Then I can move him myself with Character Momentum!

The only problem now is that Primid moves his feet at an absurdly fast rate when walking now. It looks weird, but the important part is that Primid now can walk.

To be honest, I sort of liked his beastly size. But I am better with smaller characters anyways, so its alright. But as for Primids sword animations, don't think I haven't used them. His Uair and his Utilt (Currently both the same animation until I find a better Utilt or Uair) are sword animations, as well as his Dtilt. I also planned for his Dsmash to be his sword animation where he spins towards the ground. No matter which Primid you look at in SSE, they are always the same character. That means that his animations are universal and can be used by the other versions of him. Certain animations, such as his run do not even have multiple versions. The folder contains all of his animations from all of his different forms (Fighter, Fire, Sword, Boom, Big, Metal)

I'll talk to some of the guys I know who are in the WBR about the walk cycle.
Ah, I gotcha on the sword animations. As for his size, I hope you don't mind the change too much. I think with Primid's most likely simple style of attacks, he could use the advantage of being small, though. (He's actually just Luigi size, so it's not that small.)

MaxThunder

PM Support
that kinda makes a little harder... i would have tried to look into it by know, while buying a dl dvd for ntsc brawl i stumbled upon that kiingdom hearts game for ds... so... gotta do it later=)... good luck anyways... i really hope this'll work in the end...

Thunderspam

Smash Journeyman
Yes, mwahah! Thanks to Kryal's awesome BrawlBox .59, I've found a solution! The bone TransN controls the character's actual movement. For some reason this bone doesn't register for Primid, but! I can change the TransN of walk, run, etc. to 0 so that Primid doesn't move in the animation. Then I can move him myself with Character Momentum!

The only problem now is that Primid moves his feet at an absurdly fast rate when walking now. It looks weird, but the important part is that Primid now can walk.
That is awesome! But let me toss an idea your way. What if you set TransN to the same amount as the momentum that you are adding to him? I am not sure if that would fix his speedy legs, but it is really just a guess. I wish I could see it.

Ah, I gotcha on the sword animations. As for his size, I hope you don't mind the change too much. I think with Primid's most likely simple style of attacks, he could use the advantage of being small, though. (He's actually just Luigi size, so it's not that small.)
Alright, that is good then. He was originally going to be Luigis size, but the model wouldn't replace Luigi, and you know that story.

thanyou

Smash Journeyman
I gotta say Thanyou, while the idea is good, it could use some work. If you don't mind, I am going to critique it.

First, I would change the colour of his hat from a green to a more white colour, sort of like you did to his body. Fix the colour of his leg cuffs too, since they are still green. Fix his gloves too, they look... well... not great. The fire on them seems like something a little kid would do, and it just seems tacky to the whole attire. The lava and fire emblem are also unnecessary. Since he is supposed to be a candle, I would give his gloves and shoes a white colour also. I would leave his face and appendages purple though, since it would still be Primid, just dressed up like a candle.
Alright, thanks for critiquing. I'll make an updated version soon. And the reason why I added the lava was because Neon just taught me a really cool way to make lava and sick blood effects so I thought I'd try to use it here, and you gotta admit, it came out awesome, but it didn't fit the "Candle" effect I was trying for.

And I was actually thinking that I could remove a few polygons with Brawlbox so that he's just a floating body with arms XD. That'd be pretty cool.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
That is awesome! But let me toss an idea your way. What if you set TransN to the same amount as the momentum that you are adding to him? I am not sure if that would fix his speedy legs, but it is really just a guess. I wish I could see it.
I'm pretty sure if I, say, set momentum to travel x and set the animation to move him x, then what will happen is he will appear to go 2x, and then snap back to position x. If that's clear at all. It probably would fix his legs, but, y'know. It would be back to our original problem.

His legs behave not unlike the roadrunner's, or Sonic's. It just looks silly. If you have momentary access to any Wii, here's everything I've changed: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?agmnrmiyryt

I'll try to finagle some solution for the legs later (perhaps by changing TransN to go 0.1 or something similarly small?).

Thunderspam

Smash Journeyman
Don't change it. It kicks so much *** it is ridiculous. I sort of want to make this guy a little bit different than normal Primids anyways, so if he has a crazy run I am cool with that. It doesn't look out of place in the middle of battle, so maybe we just need to speed him up a bit. I also have to say I prefer his bulkier size as opposed to looking like I am playing as Olimar.

I also realized that you were using an older version of the motion file. I am going to upload the better version in a bit where I fixed more stuff.

Also, I think Falco400 posted a way to fix the fact that he can't grab the edge right now. I am not good with that sort of stuff... Can you take a look at it for me? If you can, just set it to any random animation and I can make it better later.

EDIT: It looks like I don't have the newer motion file either... I guess it didn't save. Looks like I am going to have to remake it. I have my Wii back, so I can test stuff again.

It looks like he can't handle being footstooled either. I need to find some animations for that

DeeNinjaa

Smash Apprentice
Man. I wish i could use the new primid, but my Wii's disk reader broke just yesterday D:

I'm glad we got everything finished! This is obviously going to be the biggest advance ever.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Don't change it. It kicks so much *** it is ridiculous. I sort of want to make this guy a little bit different than normal Primids anyways, so if he has a crazy run I am cool with that. It doesn't look out of place in the middle of battle, so maybe we just need to speed him up a bit. I also have to say I prefer his bulkier size as opposed to looking like I am playing as Olimar.

I also realized that you were using an older version of the motion file. I am going to upload the better version in a bit where I fixed more stuff.

Also, I think Falco400 posted a way to fix the fact that he can't grab the edge right now. I am not good with that sort of stuff... Can you take a look at it for me? If you can, just set it to any random animation and I can make it better later.

EDIT: It looks like I don't have the newer motion file either... I guess it didn't save. Looks like I am going to have to remake it. I have my Wii back, so I can test stuff again.

It looks like he can't handle being footstooled either. I need to find some animations for that
Glad you like it; I'll increase his speed and see how it looks. As for the size, I can pretty much make him any size we want. However, once the size is chosen, it has to stay that way, else all our hitboxes won't sync up properly. I personally like his kind of small size, but it's ultimately up to you.

Bummer about the Motion file. I'll hold off on any drastic animation changes for now then. I'll look into what Falco400 mentioned.

Regarding animations, I think he needs a new dash animation. The current one makes his movement kinda clunky, if you know what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom