• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Which isn't fair to the people still making advancements in Melee and being criticized for it, or facing a shun from their communities.
Personally I think people who criticize people who stuck with Melee are dumb. They are two different games and people need to realize that. There are still competitive Pokemon players who still play RBY or GSC because of a different Metagame. Brawl and Melee contain the same ELEMENTS like damage your opponent and send them flying but they aren't the same. Brawlers/Meleers.....(<let's just pretend that a word.) need to stop getting on each other. I wouldn't go to a Halo tournament and tell them their game is dumb. The smash name is the reason people feel compelled to have this little back and forth.

tl:dr version.

Melee and Brawl are two different games. Stop comparing them.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Sorry, but I'm more irked today than ever.

I was suppose to hold a tournament today, melee only. It was to be the first melee tournament in almost 5 months here in AZ. I had this planned for the passed two months and there was going to be a big turn-out.

However, fate interfered. Atomic Comic's decided that they would hold a Brawl tournament today. They announced this LAST WEEKEND. In that short period of time, everyone abandoned my tournament in hopes of glory at Brawl there. I lost people who would bring hardware and friends who would play. What was their reasoning? They said that they weren't that good recently at Melee and would rather stand a chance at winning a Brawl tournament against scrubs than at a Melee tournament against people at their level.

Instead of looking at 20-30 people showing up, I'm now hoping at least 10 will show up today. And why? All because of a spur of the moment Brawl tournament at a company's store instead of a well-planned out Melee tournament at a friends house...

I'm jsut overly frustrated at the moment. More than anyone here can probably know.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I get that but it's natural evolution. People always want the newest and best thing. There's really not much you can do about it. There'll be hardcore players who stick with Melee.(I like Melee more than Brawl but I suck SOOO bad right now and Brawl has Sonic. XD)

That wanting to play Brawl to beat scrubs is crap though. I would much rather play people who would wipe the floor with me so I can progress faster, but maybe that's just me.

Can't you just move your tournament?

Corigames

Smash Hero
Like I said, I've been planning this thing for two months. Moving the date is plausible, but I just feel betrayed right now. Like I'm getting spat on, and that I must accommodate for those doing it. One of them is even in my own crew! He said he was going to come and told me YESTERDAY that he wasn't going to because of Brawl.

I'm sad, mad, frustrated, and tired. I'm going to get a little bit of rest before people, if anyone, shows up. If no one comes, I'll just say we're doing it next week *sigh*

And no, you aren't the only one. I would rather Taj show up today and kick my *** in Melee than for me to go to Atomics and beat some scrubs *** at a game I don't truly appreciate. It's not just you.

Aesir

Smash Master
So let me get this straight lol.

You had a Melee tourney lined up with this venue, but they changed their mind about the game and switched it to brawl on the last second? Lol

I wouldn't work with them ever again if it was me.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
No, he had been planning a Melee tournament at a friend's house for two months, then last week a game store announced a Brawl tourney on the same weekend and almost everyone decided to go to that instead.

AgentJGV

Smash Journeyman
That wanting to play Brawl to beat scrubs is crap though. I would much rather play people who would wipe the floor with me so I can progress faster, but maybe that's just me.
I agree. Where I live, I need as much practice as I can get. Also, being beaten isn't a bad thing. you can then see how your skills match up against other players and train to get better.

Scar

#HarveyDent
I get that but it's natural evolution. People always want the newest and best thing.
plz avoid using any term that suggests that Brawl is comparatively superior to Melee. Brawl is not the best thing, but yeah, it's the newest thing. All evidence and intelligent discussion has led me to believe that Melee is the best thing, but it's older and harder to win at if you're not good.

Scrubs prefer games where everyone has a chance. Competitive gamers seek a challenge.

Samochan

Smash Master
You know corey, those that are not serious about melee are also those that are either scrubs, noobs or plain bad at this game and if an opportunity rises, they don't go to tourneys since they fear of losing or things. Those are the people that never get good in melee anyway, so you shouldn't bother with those. I've learned that when hosting the triweeklies, either they go or not. There is no "if" option there unless it's about a ride or it's not their decision whether they have other business someplace else.

Let those promise breaking players go to that brawl tourney instead and hold a smaller tourney, I only have approx 8-10 people at my triweeklies. You have more free time, more smaller tourneys and you get to focus on the actual players that want to get good in melee, not some other people that don't have the dedication and would rather go beat some scrubs on inorganised tourney and lose anyway. Sure more players means more money on the pot, but what's the use to have tournaments when no one gets better then? That or move the date, your decision.

I'd be fumed too and I sympathise with you corey, but you gotta make the decision now. Either move the date and get good amount of consoles and more money or focus on the actual date with those that are truly interested in playing melee and getting better at it.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
Scrubs prefer games where everyone has a chance. Competitive gamers seek a challenge.
False.

Everybody wants a higher chance at winning. It's a natural notion. The difference is that scrubs will just pick the game that gives them that higher chance using no additional effort. Competitive gamers will pick the game they like more and work hard to give themselves a better chance.

I will also extend my apologies to coreygames. That just sucks. Hopefully the people that do come will stick by you in the future.

DeftFunk

Smash Rookie
I prefer games where everyone has a chance and a challenge. And personally, I prefer the air.
but seriously,

ok so,the main gripes I've been seeing about Brawl's gameplay compared to Melee's are Lack of Combos, Lack of Advanced Techniques, Added Randomness, Infinites, and something I'm forgetting. Allow me to adress these one by one.

Combos: Looking at the big picture, a combo, in the end, basically means if your caught off guard you will be given high damage if not KOed. But if you are evenly matched chances are you'll even it up with combos of your own and if you're not, you won't. The lack thereof (reliable ones anyway) means you will be given less damage and if you're evenly matched chances are you'll deal equally less damage and if you're not won't. It all depends on who breaks through the evasion and defenses and lands the hit. Just in Brawl, the matches will go slower. Supplement this with less stock. I guess many would say that makes the game easier to master and I guess that would mean more people could pick it up as well. All the more competition I say.

Advanced Techniques: Sure you can't use them but niether can your opponent. In Melee you can and so can your opponent.if it is thus equal why is the competitiveness worse? Do people consider SSB64 competitive? It didn't have many of those techniques. besides, the only ones i know that have been removed are Wavedashing and L-canceling. as Vital as hose were to the competitive scene, there still remains Bomb Jump (I think), Ariel Cancels, Chainthrows, Crouch-canceling, Dash-Canceling, Dashdancing to an extent, Fastfalling, Foxtrotting, Jump-canceling, Ken Comboing (although marth may not be able to do it as much as Luigi), Ledge-canceling, Ledge-hopping, Meteor-canceling, not sure if there's Moonwalking, Rising Pound, SHFF...,Shield Grabbing, most likley not super jump, super wave dash or Wallbombing, Teching, Wall Jumping, Wall grappling, Walls of Pain, and the yo-yo glitch. And I looked at a list to make sure I didn't miss any. This list: http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=516492&topic=37242284
I personally appriciate the addition of Footstool Jumps, Auto-Aiming Grapples, Pivot Grabs, and Gliding. They may not be all that advanced but they're useful to the people who know how to use them.

Added Randomness: Okay, I haven't heard this nearly as much of loss of skill but as far as I can tell, the only luvk-based additive is the infamous tripping. Indeed I've lost many a life to tripping (fortunately not in a tournament yet) and sometimes it saved my life, lost it more often though. Even so I personally derive more laughter than frustration from it, but that's just me. Indeed, this does lower Brawl's competitive value but it doesn't seem like it happens enough to lower it that much and be such a gripe. Anyways, what's all this about it lacking skill? Yeah, sure again, you lost those techniques, but it still takes skill to play (the evasion, approach, and edgeguard especially). I'm pretty sure the better player wins most of the time, and when it's inconsistent, how are you so certain who the better player is?

Infinites: so, King DeDeDe has an infinite throw, and Ness/Lucas can be grabbed infinitely (not really), these things exist in Melee as well. Fox's infinite, although difficult to pull off, and Wobbling which seems not nearly as difficult. besides, Grab duration has been shortened, if you're quick enough (by some slim chance, I know) you can escape. I had a Tournament-playing, Pro-Melee guy do the whole DeDeDe thing on multiple occasions but each time it was not difficult to break out and even up the damage. He may not have been doing it right, but I'm certain it's still possible.

Tl;Dr
In conclusion, to me, tho two games seem equally competitive. stuff you can't do in Brawl your opponent can't either. The better player wins less in Brawl? How are you so certain he's the better player? But I know there's no way to change anybody's opinion on it. Please Argue against me(like I have to ask). Further this intelligent discussion.

P.S.: I like getting my butt handed to me, too. Preferably on a silver platter served with sauteed mushrooms and gravy. And in the air.

P.P.S.: I'm pro-Brawl in case you didn't notice

Edit P.S.: That sucks Corygames, my apologies to ya. I woulda stuck with ya even though I like brawl more.

Edit P.P.S.:
On a side note, I was perusing the MLG forums and came across a similar debate.
( http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176680 )
Funny to see such a similar issue taken with such vastly different competitive games.
wow, that is crazy similar. Everyone take a look at that.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
I prefer games where everyone has a chance and a challenge.
so you prefer a game where practice gives a low payoff

ok so,the main gripes I've been seeing about Brawl's gameplay compared to Melee's are Lack of Combos, Lack of Advanced Techniques, Added Randomness, Infinites, and something I'm forgetting. Allow me to adress these one by one.
not entirely right, but w/e
Combos: Looking at the big picture, a combo, in the end, basically means if your caught off guard you will be given high damage if not KOed. But if you are evenly matched chances are you'll even it up with combos of your own and if you're not, you won't. The lack thereof (reliable ones anyway) means you will be given less damage and if you're evenly matched chances are you'll deal equally less damage and if you're not won't. It all depends on who breaks through the evasion and defenses and lands the hit. Just in Brawl, the matches will go slower. Supplement this with less stock. I guess many would say that makes the game easier to master and I guess that would mean more people could pick it up as well. All the more competition I say.
many combos in melee required knowledge of the characters, creativity, and adaptability. brawl lacks combos, so that's less knowledge and skill needed to win. plus, crazy combos were the ****

Advanced Techniques: Sure you can't use them but niether can your opponent. In Melee you can and so can your opponent.if it is thus equal why is the competitiveness worse? Do people consider SSB64 competitive? It didn't have many of those techniques. besides, the only ones i know that have been removed are Wavedashing and L-canceling. as Vital as hose were to the competitive scene, there still remains Bomb Jump (I think), Ariel Cancels, Chainthrows, Crouch-canceling, Dash-Canceling, Dashdancing to an extent, Fastfalling, Foxtrotting, Jump-canceling, Ken Comboing (although marth may not be able to do it as much as Luigi), Ledge-canceling, Ledge-hopping, Meteor-canceling, not sure if there's Moonwalking, Rising Pound, SHFF...,Shield Grabbing, most likley not super jump, super wave dash or Wallbombing, Teching, Wall Jumping, Wall grappling, Walls of Pain, and the yo-yo glitch. And I looked at a list to make sure I didn't miss any. This list: http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=516492&topic=37242284
I personally appriciate the addition of Footstool Jumps, Auto-Aiming Grapples, Pivot Grabs, and Gliding. They may not be all that advanced but they're useful to the people who know how to use them.
auto cancelling is nowhere near as useful as l-cancelling, chainthrows are much easier now and don't require reading DI, CC is out, dash cancelling is out, DD is out, JC is out, meteor cancelling is out, moonwalking is out, SHFF isn't an advanced tech, teching and wall jumping are in, actually i'm gonna stop because you don't even know what the techs you're naming are
Added Randomness: Okay, I haven't heard this nearly as much of loss of skill but as far as I can tell, the only luvk-based additive is the infamous tripping. Indeed I've lost many a life to tripping (fortunately not in a tournament yet) and sometimes it saved my life, lost it more often though. Even so I personally derive more laughter than frustration from it, but that's just me. Indeed, this does lower Brawl's competitive value but it doesn't seem like it happens enough to lower it that much and be such a gripe. Anyways, what's all this about it lacking skill? Yeah, sure again, you lost those techniques, but it still takes skill to play (the evasion, approach, and edgeguard especially). I'm pretty sure the better player wins most of the time, and when it's inconsistent, how are you so certain who the better player is?
tell me it's not that bad of an addition again when you lose $500 from tripping

Infinites: so, King DeDeDe has an infinite throw, and Ness/Lucas can be grabbed infinitely (not really), these things exist in Melee as well. Fox's infinite, although difficult to pull off, and Wobbling which seems not nearly as difficult. besides, Grab duration has been shortened, if you're quick enough (by some slim chance, I know) you can escape. I had a Tournament-playing, Pro-Melee guy do the whole DeDeDe thing on multiple occasions but each time it was not difficult to break out and even up the damage. He may not have been doing it right, but I'm certain it's still possible.
as you've admitted, fox's infinites take tons of tech skill to perform unlike in brawl. the only other non-situational infinite is wobbling, which although isn't that difficult, requires consistent timing and isn't at all character-breaking. and the person you were playing wasn't doing it right.
Tl;Dr
In conclusion, to me, tho two games seem equally competitive. stuff you can't do in Brawl your opponent can't either. The better player wins less in Brawl? How are you so certain he's the better player? But I know there's no way to change anybody's opinion on it. Please Argue against me(like I have to ask). Further this intelligent discussion.
the outcomes of matches are more consistent in melee than in brawl. also, you haven't played melee at a competitive level. so your opinion doesn't count.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
On a side note, I was perusing the MLG forums and came across a similar debate.
( http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176680 )
Funny to see such a similar issue taken with such vastly different competitive games.
How is that debate even possible? Halo 3 is a great game, and not much different from Halo 2! It might just be that my knowledge of Halo is far more limited than that of Smash, but after playing all the Halo games, I can't understand how Halo 3's competitive viability can be questioned.

Hope everything works out next time, Coreygames.

DeftFunk

Smash Rookie
so you prefer a game where practice gives a low payoff
well now, I didn't say that. Technically everybody has a chance at every form of fair or unfair competition. but anyway.

many combos in melee required knowledge of the characters, creativity, and adaptability. brawl lacks combos, so that's less knowledge and skill needed to win. plus, crazy combos were the ****
Many combos in Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct required knowledge of the characters and adaptability as well as insane directional combinations. And Creativity I'd have to argue just a bit. All the combos in all the combo vids I've seen, it's been a lot of SHFFL, Shine, JC, spike, Up throw, bair, all that jazz but let's not worry about that. Anyway, in Brawl, one may not need the knowledge of which moves flow well into the next, but you definatly need knowledge of the characters, especially of the more specialized ones such as Olimar. Again, knowledge of the best moves to defend, approach, and punish to optimize your game. It by no means, as far as I can tell, requires less skill to execute such moves at the proper time. Perhaps less manual dexterity resulting in less carpaltunnel. It's sorta like if the Gamecube controller had a SHFFL button. By the way, not quite sure what you mean by adaptability, care to give an example?
I can't deny that last thing though, crazy combos are the ****

auto cancelling is nowhere near as useful as l-cancelling, chainthrows are much easier now and don't require reading DI, CC is out, dash cancelling is out, DD is out, JC is out, meteor cancelling is out, moonwalking is out, SHFF isn't an advanced tech, teching and wall jumping are in, actually i'm gonna stop because you don't even know what the techs you're naming are
Oh, is that so? I have video proof. it'll take me a while to find them though, I got homework to finish. :ohwell: Gimme a day.

well that sounds like it totally sucks. I guess I'd hate it more if that happened to me. the only thing worse than that would be to lose $600 from tripping.

as you've admitted, fox's infinites take tons of tech skill to perform unlike in brawl. the only other non-situational infinite is wobbling, which although isn't that difficult, requires consistent timing and isn't at all character-breaking. and the person you were playing wasn't doing it right.
I'll have to get back to you on this, and yes, it's quite likely he was doing it wrong

the outcomes of matches are more consistent in melee than in brawl. also, you haven't played melee at a competitive level. so your opinion doesn't count.
no, I haven't played Melee on a competitive level, I've played SSB64 on a competitive level. but not like that matters. Not many people's opinions really matter in this world.

Adi

Smash Lord
There were some significant losses in the transition between Halo 2 and 3 but the divide between Melee and Brawl is still much much greater.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
I prefer games where everyone has a chance and a challenge. And personally, I prefer the air.
but seriously,

Yeah, i seek a challengue. Playing with people worse than me is OK, and helps them improve (at least in 64) but i prefer a LOT playing with people of real skill. Is more fun.

Anyway, ssb64 has more competitive deep than BRAWL

arrowhead

Smash Ace
Many combos in Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct required knowledge of the characters and adaptability as well as insane directional combinations. And Creativity I'd have to argue just a bit. All the combos in all the combo vids I've seen, it's been a lot of SHFFL, Shine, JC, spike, Up throw, bair, all that jazz but let's not worry about that. Anyway, in Brawl, one may not need the knowledge of which moves flow well into the next, but you definatly need knowledge of the characters, especially of the more specialized ones such as Olimar. Again, knowledge of the best moves to defend, approach, and punish to optimize your game. It by no means, as far as I can tell, requires less skill to execute such moves at the proper time. Perhaps less manual dexterity resulting in less carpaltunnel. It's sorta like if the Gamecube controller had a SHFFL button. By the way, not quite sure what you mean by adaptability, care to give an example?
of course there are always combos that are guaranteed, but most of them require you to adapt to the situation. when i say adapt i mean the player is able to analyze the changing situation and find the best option to perform, such as reading their opponent's DI and figuring out the best move to land the next hit in a combo. brawl doesn't require as much of that because the characters spend most of their time far away from each other in a slower engine. all of the thinking is focused on how to land one/two hits and then go back into the defensive position. brawl requires both less thinking and worse motor skills.

Oh, is that so? I have video proof. it'll take me a while to find them though, I got homework to finish. :ohwell: Gimme a day.
video proof of what?

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Wait so combos directly translates to skill and knowledge?
I would have to disagree.
What about mindgames? Does that not require skill and intimate knowledge of characters?
Combos are not what make or break or game.
It is what led to those combos that mattered most.

auto cancelling is nowhere near as useful as l-cancelling,
Why not?
auto cancelling is similar.
L canceling cuts the lag time while landing during an attack in half.

Auto cancelling means I can do somethig similar, I don't have to wait for the entire animation to finish since as soon as I land I can immediately perform another action. There isn't a great waiting period.
of course it isn't as universally applicable but is still very useful, especially for characters like Ike and Ganondorf.
I do agree L canceling was more useful, but saying auto canceling is nowhere near as useful is a bit of an exaggeration.
chainthrows are much easier now and don't require reading DI, CC is out, dash cancelling is out, DD is out, JC is out, meteor cancelling is out, moonwalking is out, SHFF isn't an advanced tech, teching and wall jumping are in, actually i'm gonna stop because you don't even know what the techs you're naming are
JC is out as is CC, and Dash cancelling.
Meteor cancelling still exists.
Dash dancing exists but is not useful anymore.
Only one I tihnk that can use it is Sonic by pivot dash cancel.
We do have hypen smashing,DAC, and gatling canceling.

The main issue isn't that we lost techniques or gained any, its that whatever techniques we gained are more specific and not universal like DD, CC, JC, L canceling. Wavedashing is kinda meh IMO since it isn't really useful for a few characters.
most notably DAC
tripping is gay. This is a universal fact.

What about the IC's infinite CG??
Very difficult to land and very situational with the timing varying per character.
Nor is it gamebreaking.
Marth and charizard can only infinite ness and Lucas (Marth only infinites Ness)

DDD's CG is infinite only on DK and a semi infinite on 4 other characters.
The infinites in this game typically require a wall.

the outcomes of matches are more consistent in brawl, than in melee. also, you haven't played melee at a competitive level. so your opinion doesn't count.
FIX'D.
I'll explain the change.

Outcomes of a match are more consistent in brawl since its more rock paper scissors.
in melee skill played a more integral part of gameplay.
A link could still face off against a Marth,Fox, Falco and still win the tournament.
It isn't like Brawl where Snake and MK and G&W **** anyone who isn't at the top of high tier.

Now we return to Link vs Marth and what happens? Marth will win. 9 times out of 10 he will win.
Minor differences in skill and gameplay make little difference now.
=(

Oh and opinions cannot be disregarded. Sorry but no.
The only time such a thing occurs is if they are clashing with Fact.
In which case said opinion is disregarded.
Otherwise if my opinion differs with yours, regardless of the background your opinion holds no more weight than my own.

Simply because he hasn't played competitively is a bad reason to say his opinion should be disregarded.

Should we disregard the opinion of a woman that abortion is wrong despite the fact she has never had one or never gotten pregnant?
Or the opinion of a woman who says it is right despite never having an abortion or bore a child?

The only time an opinion should be disregarded is if it were similar to the following.
Giving birth to children does not hurt.-opinion
Giving birth to children is like being torn in half-fact

Bad analogy but you get my point yes?

Except that combos were also an integral method of punishing mistakes. if someone whiffs a smash attack iI can at most lay down a 31% damage combo of three attacks.
No more and no less othrwise I risk getting punished for having the advantage.

in Melee if a Fox whiffed a smash attack or a Marth whiffed a smash attack the stupidity was punished severely.
In this game you get away with far more than you should
I've seen IC's try for a grab all the time and WIN. That should not be happening.

Advanced Techniques: stuff
Bad argumejnt is bad.
Simply because I caannot use them is no reason to say it balances out.
the main reason melee is more balanced than brawl is because the techniques given were universal.
Yes Fox could L cancel but so could Bowser, and that alone made Bowser fast enough so he would not get horribly, horribly ***** by Fox. He gained the ability to be competitively viable. those techniques while universal also helped to rebalance things and gave characters who were bottom or low tier the ability to compete with high and top tier characters.
Meanwhile you have snake ****** everyone and they can do little about it.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
Wait so combos directly translates to skill and knowledge?
I would have to disagree.
What about mindgames? Does that not require skill and intimate knowledge of characters?
Combos are not what make or break or game.
It is what led to those combos that mattered most.
i never said it was game-breaking, although it is a large factor. mindgames apply to both games although melee allows for a more flexible usage because of the larger amount of options. don't throw the term around like that, especially since it does nothing to support your argument.

I do agree L canceling was more useful, but saying auto canceling is nowhere near as useful is a bit of an exaggeration.
l-cancelling improves the speed of the game and opens up options. with l-cancelling, more moves are usable and you can do more things after performing the move. auto-cancelling only works on some moves, some of which don't need it. ganon lost a safe approach because his fair lags horribly

JC is out as is CC, and Dash cancelling.
Meteor cancelling still exists.
Dash dancing exists but is not useful anymore.
Only one I tihnk that can use it is Sonic by pivot dash cancel.
We do have hypen smashing,DAC, and gatling canceling.
you don't need to repeat what i've already said. although thanks for the correction on meteor cancelling. DD is possible, but it doesn't count as a viable move anymore because it's entirely impractical.

The main issue isn't that we lost techniques or gained any, its that whatever techniques we gained are more specific and not universal like DD, CC, JC, L canceling. Wavedashing is kinda meh IMO since it isn't really useful for a few characters.
most notably DAC
wavedashing is useful for most characters in melee and was a very important spacing/movement tool. i don't miss its exclusion too much either, but saying it's "meh" because a few characters didn't need it isn't a great argument.

What about the IC's infinite CG??
Very difficult to land and very situational with the timing varying per character.
Nor is it gamebreaking.
Marth and charizard can only infinite ness and Lucas (Marth only infinites Ness)

DDD's CG is infinite only on DK and a semi infinite on 4 other characters.
The infinites in this game typically require a wall.
ICs CGs aren't that difficult to land. just go to training mode and get familiar with the timing.

the other infinites may not work on everybody, but they're easy to perform. that detracts from the competitiveness of the game

FIX'D.
I'll explain the change.

Outcomes of a match are more consistent in brawl since its more rock paper scissors.
in melee skill played a more integral part of gameplay.
A link could still face off against a Marth,Fox, Falco and still win the tournament.
It isn't like Brawl where Snake and MK and G&W **** anyone who isn't at the top of high tier.

Now we return to Link vs Marth and what happens? Marth will win. 9 times out of 10 he will win.
Minor differences in skill and gameplay make little difference now.
=(
character choice is its own independent variable. although you do bring up a good point how character selection in brawl is much much more important in brawl than in melee, to the point where only a few characters can win a large tournament. sad.

Oh and opinions cannot be disregarded. Sorry but no.
The only time such a thing occurs is if they are clashing with Fact.
In which case said opinion is disregarded.
Otherwise if my opinion differs with yours, regardless of the background your opinion holds no more weight than my own.

Simply because he hasn't played competitively is a bad reason to say his opinion should be disregarded.

Should we disregard the opinion of a woman that abortion is wrong despite the fact she has never had one or never gotten pregnant?
Or the opinion of a woman who says it is right despite never having an abortion or bore a child?

The only time an opinion should be disregarded is if it were similar to the following.
Giving birth to children does not hurt.-opinion
Giving birth to children is like being torn in half-fact

Bad analogy but you get my point yes?
the opinion of those who have not played melee at a competitive level don't matter because they are missing crucial facts about the game at that level. you can't talk about what you're ignorant of.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
How is that debate even possible? Halo 3 is a great game, and not much different from Halo 2! It might just be that my knowledge of Halo is far more limited than that of Smash, but after playing all the Halo games, I can't understand how Halo 3's competitive viability can be questioned.

Hope everything works out next time, Coreygames.
You're just not a competitive Halo player. Somone who isn't a competitive Smash player would say what you just said about Brawl.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
You're just not a competitive Halo player. Somone who isn't a competitive Smash player would say what you just said about Brawl.
I have a friend who knows nothing about Smash and HE said that Brawl doesn't seem as good as Melee was. Granted he saw my other friend and me playing with L-canceling and wavedashing but yeah. Even CASUALS know that Brawl isn't as competitive.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
That wasn't a rhetorical question. I really was wondering how the competitive viability of Halo 3 is put into question.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
i never said it was game-breaking, although it is a large factor. mindgames apply to both games although melee allows for a more flexible usage because of the larger amount of options. don't throw the term around like that, especially since it does nothing to support your argument.
More flexible usage? Not really, in brawl mindgames are even more important due to the boost on defensive play.
They did indeed play a role in melee, but with the lack of hitstun, combos as well as the slower gameplay means that the mindgames play a greater role.
g.

l-cancelling improves the speed of the game and opens up options. with l-cancelling, more moves are usable and you can do more things after performing the move. auto-cancelling only works on some moves, some of which don't need it. ganon lost a safe approach because his fair lags horribly
Yes but his Bair, Dair and Uair don't lag at all.
It wasn't just cause he lost his Fair,Ganondorf hasn't really had a safe method of approach.
What really hurts his approachis the defense game, lack of shield stun being the greatest issue, not only the fact he lost his Fair's effectiveness.
Not to mention the lack of aerial speed even after jumping from a dash.

Its not just L canceling being removed thats an issue. Its the entire system that Brawl uses.
you don't need to repeat what i've already said. although thanks for the correction on meteor cancelling. DD is possible, but it doesn't count as a viable move anymore because it's entirely impractical.
of course not, I mentioned that earlier that really the only character capable of using it effectively is sonic since his initial dash animation is longer than the others and his speed.

wavedashing is useful for most characters in melee and was a very important spacing/movement tool. i don't miss its exclusion too much either, but saying it's "meh" because a few characters didn't need it isn't a great argument.
Well I am trying to show a comparison to techniques that are more universal in terms of usefulness.
For example l canceling and DD and CC and JC.

ICs CGs aren't that difficult to land. just go to training mode and get familiar with the timing.
For over 35 characters?
Not to mention the lack of grab range?
Granted I can perform a CG but it really does take practice in order to maintain it.
the other infinites may not work on everybody, but they're easy to perform. that detracts from the competitiveness of the game
Well Fox could perform the waveshine on over 10 characters in melee.
DDD can only infinite 1 semi infinite 4
Charizard infinites 2 people
Marth infinites 1

Most of the infinites other than those mentioned above require a wall, something that occurred in melee as well. most likely they'll ban the stage or character specific infinites.
(personally I dislike all infinites but meh)
character choice is its own independent variable. although you do bring up a good point how character selection in brawl is much much more important in brawl than in melee, to the point where only a few characters can win a large tournament. sad.
Yes it should be but the problem is that now rather than be as it were in melee, it plays a greater role in the whole thing.
Apparently there do appears to be characters that do well against Snake and MK as well as G&W, so perhaps what we are seeing is similar to the Link fanaticism that occurred early in melee years.
Least thats what I hope anyway.

the opinion of those who have not played melee at a competitive level don't matter because they are missing crucial facts about the game at that level. you can't talk about what you're ignorant of.
Not necessarily, they will of course miss a few crucial things of course but even the perfect idiot will touch upon a few correct things.
at the very least the person's opinion should be regarded to a lesser extent than say gimpy's.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I find it rather ridiculous to believe that it is okay to make logical assertions about a meta game which you are unfamiliar with. It extremely shortchanges both Melee, and your own intelligence as a debater to play both sides of the debate, whilst only truly grasping one side of the debate.

In short, there is no need to be a professional in both games, but claiming your assertions are more factual than another's, when yours are built off of assumptions, is ridiculous at best.

Skler

Smash Master
Fox's waveshine =/= an infinite. Fox's waveshine is an infinite on none of the (current) tournament legal stages, Corneria's wing messes it up there and no other stage has a permanent wall. Fox can drillshine infinite a few characters, but that's only if they don't smash DI the drill, in addition to it being almost impossible to do for long enough to make it game breaking. Melee has one true infinite on tournament legal stages, wobbling, and it's still harder than any of Brawl's dial-a-combos.

Brawl also has less styles that can be used in competitive play and less characters that can be used in competitive play. Brawl isn't as competitive as Melee, and is a vastly inferior game. I can go toe to toe with people who actually practice Brawl at tournaments in spite of the fact I never play the game (with the exception of tournaments, and even then I don't enter all the Brawl tournies I go to), that shouldn't happen.

Samochan

Smash Master
Fox's waveshine =/= an infinite. Fox's waveshine is an infinite on none of the (current) tournament legal stages, Corneria's wing messes it up there and no other stage has a permanent wall. Fox can drillshine infinite a few characters, but that's only if they don't smash DI the drill, in addition to it being almost impossible to do for long enough to make it game breaking. Melee has one true infinite on tournament legal stages, wobbling, and it's still harder than any of Brawl's dial-a-combos.

Brawl also has less styles that can be used in competitive play and less characters that can be used in competitive play. Brawl isn't as competitive as Melee, and is a vastly inferior game. I can go toe to toe with people who actually practice Brawl at tournaments in spite of the fact I never play the game (with the exception of tournaments, and even then I don't enter all the Brawl tournies I go to), that shouldn't happen.
You took the words out of my mouth skler. Anyone that plays a character easily waveshined or drillshined by a fox should practice smash di and unless their opponent is very proficient in using the correct button inputs and following your di and action in that second it takes one drillshine to commence, you are going to get out and punish fox for drilling lol. Cort I think can make any or almost any fox re-think about drilling his peach.

I also find it kinda funny just how easily I was able to trumph my friends who had the game for 3 months in my second playthrough with a character I used for the first time. And on my third time I was practically owning them with my Ike and ike's.. not amazing. The fact that I'm ways ahead of them in melee shouldn't mean anything here, it's brawl and it should take at least some time to learn. But here I am, already using many characters proficently when it took me at least 3 months to even get used to playing fox in melee movement wise. >_> Heck, I'm known to thoroughly suck in games and I'm suprised I was able to pick up brawl quickly after my initial difficulty in getting used to the different game mechanic. I don't even need to practice it and I can immediately pick up any character I want. *_* I do like to see myself improve when it takes some dedication to do, then when I see the work paying off it's rewarding. I don't get the same feeling on brawl when I learn something new. :/

LOL_Master

Smash Lord
To add on, just about every aspect of melee and its possibilities, yes possibilities, because there are still things that no one can perfect yet, (obvious people like m2k, azen, pc can STILL improve in melee) stands like a giant among the tiny aspect of brawl's competitive play, EVERY. People want to complain about melee and try to put it down, when they could've sat down and thought about the nearly endless list of things to do and exactly how hard it is to actually do it. A simple thing such as dd can be overlooked because scrubs see it, oh just moving left and right. Obviously. That's what appears on the screen. There are way more bigger things going on than just that, how does the opponent react, how does the player that is dd react, does the player dd have enough control to react accordingly to what the opponent's reaction is? I can go on, but the thing is, these things happen fast, and once that segment has finished, a new one begins.

also, suck my nutz scrubs. sorry i don't know why i have to write that, it's just a habit i guess.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
It does not matter how difficult a technique is, as long as people can learn to do it consistently, they will. It really doesn't matter how difficult the button combinations are, they are just a hinderance to learning the game at its highest levels if they are difficult, and help even out, enlarge, and intensify the general competitive community if they are easy. Brawl was meant to be picked up easily, so scrubs and noobs who play melee often take people with a lot of Brawl experience off-guard with there ability. This is often partially becuase tactics which melee veteran brawl noobs use are effective, but not as viable as what competitive Brawlers usually see, so to win, the competitive Brawler is forced to use tactics which are noob-specific, often more defencive than normal competitive Brawl, against an opponent they underestimated from the start. However, if you were tactically better than your friend at melee, that will transfer excedingly easily to Brawl, which is a credit to the developer's ability.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
More flexible usage? Not really, in brawl mindgames are even more important due to the boost on defensive play.
They did indeed play a role in melee, but with the lack of hitstun, combos as well as the slower gameplay means that the mindgames play a greater role.
g.
mindgames are more important in brawl, but melee gives you more options to put mindgames to use

Yes but his Bair, Dair and Uair don't lag at all.
It wasn't just cause he lost his Fair,Ganondorf hasn't really had a safe method of approach.
What really hurts his approachis the defense game, lack of shield stun being the greatest issue, not only the fact he lost his Fair's effectiveness.
Not to mention the lack of aerial speed even after jumping from a dash.

Its not just L canceling being removed thats an issue. Its the entire system that Brawl uses.
of course l-cancelling isn't the whole issue, but nobody's going to listen if you say "the entire system the brawl uses makes it a less competitive game". you have to take it by parts

i don't have my wii with me right now, but i don't remember ganon's other aerials having low lag

Well I am trying to show a comparison to techniques that are more universal in terms of usefulness.
For example l canceling and DD and CC and JC.
wavedashing is more useful for more characters than CC and JC. not like it really matters though because the argument isn't which tech is the least useful

For over 35 characters?
Not to mention the lack of grab range?
Granted I can perform a CG but it really does take practice in order to maintain it.
yes, it does take practice but it's not that difficult to get it down

Well Fox could perform the waveshine on over 10 characters in melee.
DDD can only infinite 1 semi infinite 4
Charizard infinites 2 people
Marth infinites 1
now compare the difficulty of said infinites. fox's isn't even an infinite unless you're able to SH drill behind your opponent and continue the waveshine assuming there are no walls.

Yes it should be but the problem is that now rather than be as it were in melee, it plays a greater role in the whole thing.
Apparently there do appears to be characters that do well against Snake and MK as well as G&W, so perhaps what we are seeing is similar to the Link fanaticism that occurred early in melee years.
Least thats what I hope anyway.
yes, it would be nice to have a tournament with more character diversity

Not necessarily, they will of course miss a few crucial things of course but even the perfect idiot will touch upon a few correct things.
at the very least the person's opinion should be regarded to a lesser extent than say gimpy's.
don't take me literally when i say "your opinion doesn't count". i know that occasionally an ignorant noob may make a good point and i will acknowledge the point if it ever happens. so far it hasn't

Skler

Smash Master
Performing a CG that isn't the IC infinite in Brawl isn't hard at all. Any idiot can pick up D3, grab, dthrow and dash forward before hitting L/R and A. DI doesn't even mess with the CGs, so they're way easier to do than they were in Melee.

Mindgames don't matter more in Brawl, be as brilliant as you want and you won't beat a competent snake with ganon because you have no options. How are you going to trick him into messing up with ganon? It's brawl so you won't win with such a bad character. In Melee you could use a low tier and still beat competent high tier users, this is because in Melee you had tons of tools you could use to trick the opponent. In Brawl you don't have all these wonderful options, so character selection only means that much more.

That's the problem everyone has with brawl, no options. While the Melee engine gives the player tons of things they can do at any given time (many of which are viable), Brawl limits the player to only a few options (and usually only one or two are viable). Brawl's engine hinders players by making only one option good, making it so each character has one obvious best way to play. That's dumb.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Mindgames don't matter more in Brawl, be as brilliant as you want and you won't beat a competent snake with ganon because you have no options.
I bet someone once said that about Wario versus Snake.

And, in Melee, be as brilliant as you want, you wouldn't be beating any competent Marth players with Pichu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom