• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash in Boston, MA! It's the summer so if you're hosting advertise here! Update 6/12

LINKaTINK

Smash Cadet
sorry i couldn't make it there yesterday guys. GF came up for the weekend...but i'm so down next time. NEU VS BU sounds great. I'll keep looking at the thread...we should consider having a just melee event...possibly ever here at NEU?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
There wayyyy too many Brawl members here to have a melee only event. I know NEU has their own smash club so you should look into that if you havent already.

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
Calvin, I'm pretty sure that if ALL the melee players who occasionally attend this attended this on one day, then it would completely overshadow the brawl outcome. Last week there was more melee players than brawl, yet there were more brawl setups, and one of the melee setups was provided by me.
I've done a lot of work in order to generate hype for this. There are new melee players in the area and if all goes right then the melee outcome may be 20 this friday. I'd call that reason to consider a melee event. If Raeef doesn't make something happen, then I will try to, probably in the way of a draft crew battle.

dawall250

Smash Journeyman
i mean, mafia, i don't doubt that, but if all the brawl players who occasionally showed up all showed up, it would overshadow the melee outcome. we just have to find a balance. how many gamecubes did we have last friday? vgs only has one gamecube, others like you have to bring more if you want to have a legitimate chance to use more tvs, the wii setups are not all vgs's after all.

as for whether people want to have draft crews or whatever going on... don't hate on raeef for not setting up stuff. he provides the framework that allows us to even have a smashfest, if you guys want to set up draft crews for melee or brawl, get everyone to agree to, and no one will stop you (barring the gsu kicking us out).

The Irish Mafia

I'm not trying to say raeef is doing anything wrong, it just feels like melee is being overlooked a little as an event at this.
I don't want to begin a "My community is bigger than yours", but I'm still confident that boston areal melee smashers (who can attend this) > Boston area brawl smashers numberwise.
The base of my complaint is: I can only bring a TV if my parent's give me a ride to BU. The chance of this is small as I live close enough to take the train to Smash Fridays. Therefore I can only very rarely bring a TV. A gc, however, I can bring. As far as I know, I'm the only melee player who is able to bring a TV, so the only setups that we should consider are those provided by the club. Now, I didn't take a headcount, but I'm pretty sure the melee-brawl player ratio was just about 50-50. This leaves us with I believe 1 melee setup and at least 2 brawl setups. With the melee player #'s steadily increasing, there's no logic to this.

I feel like a **** for posting about this and complaining because I really appreciate the whole smash friday thing. I've met some great people and played some great matches. I'm worried that nothing can be done about this and if that's true, then tell me. I'm just trying to keep my community alive and I can't do that on one tv with color problems.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
have the NEU people looked into starting something there?

Alas, UMass is going though an unfriendly phase in terms of letting people into their gameroonm, and also only have 1 TV there for game use.

dawall250

Smash Journeyman
@mafia
correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there two melee set ups last time? Cuz there are a total of 4 tvs, the big one, the two decent tvs from vgs, and the messed up color one. If not, well, bring it up next time, cuz yeah, if the melee players and the brawl players are about 50-50, I don't see why we couldn't split the tvs 50-50.

@viers
NEU has had one or two events before. I've been to one, but then again, that was more or less a get together in a dorm room, albeit with two tvs. We can try to get in touch with some of them and see what can go down though.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
50-50 is really unrealistic, until recently it was all Brawl and no Melee, and even now its at best 65-35 Brawl to Melee. I understand that Melee is getting enough recognition to have at least 2 setups, but I still feel that Brawl is popular enough to warrent having 3 setups. Of course I'm biased in that I'm a Brawl player. The best case scenario would be for some1 to bring a tv so we can have 2 Melee and 3 Brawl setups going.

Regarding the NEU Smash Club, there DEFINITELY is one. Last Thursday they hosted a very decent sized Smashfest at 333 Curry Student Center at 9:00 PM. The person running it goes by Fubudis on Smashboards, and there is a group for it on Facebook.

They usually host it on Thursday nights, so if anyone can't make it to our smashfest on Fridays there is always an alternative.

Edit: If anyone want more info about the NEU smash club I'm sure we can advertise it in this thread.

frozensoul89

Smash Rookie
Hey Calvin! Nice to see that you're also awake!

Anyways, I'm going to have to agree with Calvin. Melee isn't dead at BU, but it definitely isn't on par with the Brawl scene. I think two melee setups were sufficient this past friday. People who wanted 1v1 had their tv, and people who wanted teams had their tv. The only problem was that the one tv was kinda messed up color-wise. It would be nice to have three tvs for melee, but VGS only has one CRT tv. Does anyone want to donate a tv?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
lol sup JLo, I have a quiz tommorow morning but I've being up watching Wombo Combo spoofs xD

If you guys can pull off Wombo Combos consistently I'd be more than willing to let Melee have more TVs.

LINKaTINK

Smash Cadet
In response to the melee discussion: NEU has a "smash" club...but its not very competitive (i know fubudis and the club). I was speaking about a more competitive all melee event...If anybody plays melee at a competitive level in the boston area...I'd be fine with trying to find a location/time for this culture. If this exists at BU's weeklies then I don't see a problem.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Well I know Fubudis himself play competitive Melee, but yeah, we def have a competitive Melee scene here at Smash Fridays, but even with the new players it is still alot less than our Brawl community.

dawall250

Smash Journeyman
i thought we were trying to avoid whose community is bigger arguments. nonetheless, i'm pretty sure last time we had 4 tvs split evenly between brawl and melee., and as long as we don't end up having massive brawl turnouts, then that will probably continue if people bring a cube.

@link i'm not sure about the levels of the melee players, but i know a good few are at least decently competitive. you are welcome to try to set up another regular event for all melee, and if you want i can advertise it here, and make this thread a way to find all smashfests in the boston area.

for that matter, do the neu people want more advertising for their event? i could probably put that up in the op if people should so desire.

The Irish Mafia

Ok, thanks

Link, most of the people here are at a pretty standard level. No one's really exceptional, but we do have our talent.

So something I was thinking over, is it OK if I leave my TV there for smash fridays and pick it up when I'm going to a Tourney or whatever? I never use it at home and I'll probably go here the day before I leave for a tourney, it would work.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Uhhh, I don't see it being a problem actually, just lemme ask Raeef if we have enough space in the locker to fit your TV in.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
@linkatink: when does said club meet, and would they welcome vistor/s? I can bring a slightly more competitive atmosphere w/ me XD.

LINKaTINK

Smash Cadet
i'm not an avid NEU club attender was my point. I went once...and there were a good amount of people...but only fubudis was decent at smash. I was rusty and it still was just not fun, and I'm not trying to sound superior or anything...but i play the game competitively for enjoyment. But st. viers if you ever wanna smash, and you consider yourself competitive...thats all i'm looking for. I don't care if i'm better/worse than who i'm playing, just that its in the competitive spirit. You wont really find that at the NEU club, its more of a (brawl) fun environment. Where u live st. viers? Send me a PM if you ever wanna get together and play. I'm famished for good smash...and i need a partner for MILK. :)

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Brawl can be competitive too ya know. I've being to the NEU club too and I can say that the Brawl scene at BU is 10x more competitive.

But if you do want competitive Melee we def have a good group here too. We have a very good Fox main and a very good Marth main. And more of our Melee veterens are showing up again now that people are interested in Melee again.

frozensoul89

Smash Rookie
Pssshhhh! That Fox main and Marth main need to learn the Zelda matchup. Zelda's way too good! :D

The number of Melee players has grown since last semester. There's a new Falcon player and a new Marth player, both of which are mad chill! A Samus player from Boston College has started showing up again. A bunch of random players also make sudden appearances from time to time. Too bad our resident Ice Climber player has moved away from competitive smash. I really miss the diversity that the BU Melee scene had.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Too bad that same melee IC's player was also our best Brawl player last year. I kinda feel like I learned the ROB matchup for naught now =(

frozensoul89

Smash Rookie
You probably know the ROB matchup as well as I know the IC matchup! BTW: Who's the character in your avatar Yume? It has been irritating me that I can't name it.

I support IrishMafia's idea about leaving his tv with VGS until he needs it. This would definitely resolve the problem with having only 1 setup during smash friday. I'm sure someone wouldn't mind providing a gamecube.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
She's from a pretty recent anime, so thats prob why you don't recognize her. She's Kurumizawa Ume from Kimi ni Todoke, better known as Kurumi-chan <3.

Btw, Raeef says that we may have trouble fitting the TV in the locker since its so packed already, but I think borrowing the TV is a good idea too, how should we deal with this?

edit: We can probably keep the TV in our room since we live pretty close to the GSU.

The Irish Mafia

Not to toot my own horn but I'm pretty good LOL. I have a lot of free time, if you ever want to smash I'm free literally 90% of the time, hit me up.
Me and the Samus player are teaming for MILK. He's legit. Also, there was a very good falco player who showed up, he'll be back with friends.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I'm decent. I'd say I'm good, but I don't play enough people at my level/slightly above me anymore, so it's hard to tell. (Not egotistical--it's just that now that dan is in korea, the only people playing smash are those that I got interested in it...)

BattleCalculus

Smash Rookie
I can continue to bring my Gamecube. Considering that the VGS gamecube seemed to be missing a cable that might be a good idea. I do agree that two melee setups should be enough for now.

LINKaTINK

Smash Cadet
to everyone haha: i'll be there for melee and hopefully find a MILK partner, excited to get involved in the melee community. As for brawl...its not not competitive, but to me, it was designed as a party game and comes nowhere close to melee. But we'll see. See you all friday.

Prawn

Smash Master
thinking about coming with a few kids to get some practice before gauntlet on saturday.

not sure yet tho so we'll see

frozensoul89

Smash Rookie
She's from a pretty recent anime, so thats prob why you don't recognize her. She's Kurumizawa Ume from Kimi ni Todoke, better known as Kurumi-chan <3.
Oh, duh...I've seen Kimi ni Todoke! I'm not too big a fan of Kurumi-chan only because I like Sawako more. She's soooo pleasant!

Are there any events coming up for Smash Friday soon? Brawl or Melee? I remember this past saturday we had a Brawl crew battle. It was pretty fun. Anything similar in the agenda?

Prawn

Smash Master
my mk is ballllsssss terrible lol. like seriously my jiggs is better IMO

but yeah I'll see if i can get out there friday, i get out at 2:40 so closing at 6 or 7 is hard but its w/e ill just hang with mafia after maybe

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Hmm draft crews sounds fun, looks like its time for a BRAWL Draft Crew too.

St. Viers, if you can bring some Brawl ppl that would be great too.

Top Bottom