• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Smashboards Questions Thread. Ask site-related questions here. (Staff answers preferred)

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
You're having a pretty bad first impression.

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
To the above few people - if you don't have a question or a suggestion, then don't post.

To marthpwner, I read through your posts - stop spamming.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I use the search function frequently. Sometimes, I have a bit too much caffeine during lunch, and when I press enter to search, I accidently press it twice...

60 seconds until I get to search again...

It may not seem like much, but it's rather irritating at times. Is it possible to have the flood control's time between searches lowered?

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
I loathe the 60-second flood control; surely far more bandwidth is wasted daily on short posts with long signatures than would be if we hypothetically removed it altogether. Most recently it's because I've been doing SmashWiki work on the various smashers and this is the best place to find info about them, but many people have multiple user names or user names that are derivative of some other user name and trying to search for them once every 60 seconds is incredibly time-consuming.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Can we have the time limit between PMs lowered as well? I find it annoying.

Course, not many non-Thing hosters need to use out tons of PMs.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
It seems as if bumping old topics is becoming a fad amongst some of the PRoom crowd. Can an unnecessary thread bump in which no hope of topic revival is possible be against the rules? And if it is already, it needs some enforcin'.

Skywalker

Space Jump
I have a large collection of avatars (cropped by me), like from Gears of War and the most recent Brawl trailer.

Examples:

Can I submit them?

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
The Smash World Podcast is a wonderful new addition but in my opinion, it needs a place where it can stand out and members know where to go to find it. You could make a new icon for the top of the boards (Mushroom - Calender, Coin - Premium, yada, yada) and then link to it.

Also, though the mods work hard (in fact, I'm fairly certain they do) they are not super humans so you could organize a group of reporters that can scan the boards for information that is news worthy. Much in the same sense of a media class at school.

How you go about organizing these individuals would probably need to be discussed in the Staff Shack but I'm sure it will all work out.

Of course, this is but a suggestion so you don't have to use the idea.

Edit: I thought about this for a while and I wanted to expand on my idea a little. Hear me out because this is going to be long.

In order to organize the reporters or researchers, you can create a new room entitled "Research Center" (or whatever you guys think sounds better) and make it either read-only (like the Debate Hall) or completely secret (like the BRoom).

In this sense, you can organize researchers to discuss and find information on the Smash scene or the Forums themselves. They can also play a major role in the SmashWiki, Smash World Podcast, and Smash Blog.

Now instead of having random volunteers that you can't remember, you have an organized group all in one place and ready for immediate contact.

Filtering members to decide who should help and who shouldn't would be the tricky part as you wouldn't want somebody unreliable. You could choose them in the same sense as you choose the moderaters (not that I know how you guys choose mods but my guess is you pick members that are willing to devote a lot of their time and services to the community).

By creating this room and organizing the members, you can help keep the Blog and Wiki up to date and accurate as well as perserve the Podcast.

I thought this idea up in a short amount of time though so it may need a little tweaking here and there but I am almost certain it can be an effective plan of action in dealing with information gathering.

And as I have said before, this is simply an idea of mine so you need not take it but at least give it some consideration. If you are short on people that can help out, I would be more than willing to contribute my services.

H20 Melon

Smash Rookie
Kenny, I really like your reporter idea. I'd easily join if the opportunity comes up, as I'm sure some other members around would do it in a heartbeat. Most other messageboards have this sort of features, so why shouldn't we :)

Question: If you write in the Creative Minds room, what are the requirments for getting the orange title? Ex: How many stories, quality, WWYP, etc.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Eor - PM flood control is disabled.

Xsyven - It is against the rules, and it's usually enforced. But the bumped topics aren't usually closed.

Skywalker - We'll take submissions for new avatars some time in the future.

Kenny - I like the idea, although I don't know how practical it would be. I'll keep it in mind.

Melon - Smash Writer status is given to people who win the Write With Your Power contest. Keep your eyes on the room for details on the contests.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
McFox said:
Kenny - I like the idea, although I don't know how practical it would be. I'll keep it in mind.
Oh, I'm sure it can be very practical. The positives outweigh the negatives.

Pro: You have an organized group of individuals ready for immediate contact instead of random volunteers.

Pro: Projects can start the second they are established instead of having to wait for volunteers.

Pro: Discussion on the various researched items can all take place in one place.

Pro: The SmashWiki can be accurately moderated and improved to be up to date.

Pro: The Smash Blog can be updated with information regularly.

Pro: The Podcast can be perserved since there will always be an influx of information rather than a few people finding some stuff.

Pro: You instantly have a bunch of mods that can handle that room: Scav, Mic_128, or Kirby King. Or you can choose the newer mods: PrinceZane, Gimpyfish62, sephirothken, Sintenal, Taj, Simna Ibn Sind. Or you could pick mods that research in general regularly: Crimson King, Evil Eye.

Pro: You'll have information all in one place ready for immediate and easy reference.

Con: Filtering the members to decide who gets in will be a bit of a problem since it's hard to decide who qualifies.

Con: You would have to make a new room and stickies about rules, etc. would need to be added. (However, since you must choose members to enter, spam will not be a problem to an extent).

Like I said, you would have to discuss this in the Staff Shack for a final decision.

Edit: Actually, after thinking about this for a second, I realized that this kind of room shouldn't be too steep in who they allow in. I think it would do well to be Read-Only and you can filter members in the same sense that I filtered members for the Collaboration Project. Simply get them to show you what they have given to the community or discuss with them why they think they deserve posting rights.

Only members willing to help should be let in. However, you could also make it open to everybody though making it read-only might be slightly better. If it is read-only you would have to deal with filtering members but if it is open to everybody, you may have to deal with more spam than if it was read-only. Whichever one works out for you guys is the road I would suggest.

Thanks for your time.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
If a person has more than one title(writer, director, Broomer, Smash Broomer, Debater, Smash Lord) can they choose which title/color they want?
Yep, you can choose which one you want to be displayed as in User CP->Group memberships.

Zink

Smash Champion
I notice that in the CP under Group Memberships there's radio buttons for some groups- debators, BRoomers, SBRoomers, etc. I assume that you can't just click yourself in, and you get stopped by a blocking process? I'm afriad to try :(

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
petre, these people are changing the color for each individual post. As far as I'm aware, there's no way to change the default color of your text.

Zink, those are application buttons for the various groups. You can apply for the groups anytime, but the leader of the group (Crimson King and Evil Eye for Debate Hall, M3D for Smash BRoom, etc.) must admit you before you are in.

Wrath`

Smash Master
1.Non premium members should be able to post polls.

an since we cant,i will ask.Can somebody make a poll saying

"most wanted unconfermed character wanted back?ANd the choces be all thoese unconfermed.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
That's pretty much why you can't. We don't want 10,000 topics saying "WHO SHOULD THEY HAD TO BRAWL"

Zink

Smash Champion
I suggest that there should be an Information sticky... a thread that basically is where all the rumors and new news goes first, so that we don't get a bajillion threads about online PAL Melee and the Celda-Ridley-Bowser Jr rumor.
Also, how do I get rid of expired infractions? I have a couple from last year that say they're expired but they stayed in the UserCP. Is this normal?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Once expired infractions mean nothing. Just a reminder of what happens if you spam or break rules.

Referrals mean nothing really. It's just built into vBulletin and we didn't bother removing it.

flaco

The Terminator
Does thread dissapere by themselves,becuase I don't know if you guys remember the thread I made a poll I mean about who is the best mod or something like that becuase I can't find it did't get erased or it just dissepeared.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
We normally don't let people make alternate accounts, but if you want to make a permanent switch, then just make the new account, and leave that one alone.

And flaco, I don't know what you're talking about. If it got moved to the Rubbish Bin then you wouldn't be able to find it, because you can't search for stuff in that room.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I think he's talking about how topics "disappear" after 30 days. If you want to find older topics, you have to change the "last 30 sayd" option to longer, like "Last year" or "The begining."

EEvisu

Smash Lord
My prem membership seems to have run out however my custom avi is not showing up, is that supposed to happen?

Giggidax

Smash Ace
<B>why doesnt my sig ever show up when i have resized it and changed it multiple times, sometimes it shows up in my earlier posts but recently it hasnt showed up. i would like to know please</b>

Wrath`

Smash Master
Since youve had this pika/poke themed skin,you should make this an avilible one and have others like starfow,mario,ect on other holidays

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
<B>why doesnt my sig ever show up when i have resized it and changed it multiple times, sometimes it shows up in my earlier posts but recently it hasnt showed up. i would like to know please</b>
You probably have unclicked the box that says "Show your signature" that shows up as an option for either quick reply or regular reply. For regular reply, it shows up under the button "submit reply" under miscellaneous options. For quick reply, it shows up on the bottom right hand side of the box.

Since youve had this pika/poke themed skin,you should make this an avilible one and have others like starfow,mario,ect on other holidays
Are you suggesting that people actually enjoy this skin? lol

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Suggestion:

Can a mod please move the thread in the PRoom called 'Riddles Anyone?' to forum games? It's seventy something pages of wrong answers and 'NOPE, BUT CLOSE!' posts.

It bothers me so much that I had to request it.

Edit: Thanks, Hiemie!

Top Bottom