• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Smashboards Questions Thread. Ask site-related questions here. (Staff answers preferred)

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Hi, I just checked out smashwiki and it always gives me this message:

Database error
A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:
(SQL query hidden)
from within function "MediaWikiBagOStuff::_doquery". MySQL returned error "1194: Table 'sw_objectcache' is marked as crashed and should be repaired (localhost)".

Florida

イーグランツ
Does HTML coding work with Smashboards?

Is there some way to make text aligned to the left and right in the same sentence? I try to do so, and the results is an automatic skip per align:

example​
example​
example​

Some random questions that popped into my head. :)

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Does HTML coding work with Smashboards?

Is there some way to make text aligned to the left and right in the same sentence? I try to do so, and the results is an automatic skip per align...
Unfortunately, I don't think even HTML supports that functionality, unless you use a <table> with three evenly-distributed cells (although, that's not really alignment).

A slightly-restricted subset of HTML is supported at SmashWiki and you can use simple CSS stylistic elements, but I'm not sure it will allow for any really complex scripting that uses separate "floating" elements in order to achieve a more robust alignment system. MediaWiki-based websites try and keep it simple and customizable at the same time, so it isn't always as easy to turn ideas to reality as it would be on a raw webpage.

Florida

イーグランツ
Unfortunately, I don't think even HTML supports that functionality, unless you use a <table> with three evenly-distributed cells (although, that's not really alignment).

A slightly-restricted subset of HTML is supported at SmashWiki and you can use simple CSS stylistic elements, but I'm not sure it will allow for any really complex scripting that uses separate "floating" elements in order to achieve a more robust alignment system. MediaWiki-based websites try and keep it simple and customizable at the same time, so it isn't always as easy to turn ideas to reality as it would be on a raw webpage.
<table> ?, could you give me an example, please?

Florida

イーグランツ
HTML:
<table>
<tr>
<td>
Left Column Text
</td>
<td>
Center Column Text
</td>
<td>
Right Column Text
</td>
</tr>
</table>
Something like that.
Thanks! I've looked through some HTML codes, I couldn't find anything that relates to what I want. :( I tried that code on other sites that support HTML as well, and no luck. Anyways, came with a new question!

Out of curiosity, what will happen to the Melee forums when Brawl is released? Will it be a "dwarf" thread and join the SSB64 area, or will it remain the same with sub-forums, and other various boards of discussion?

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
i'm not sure if this has been asked or not but HOW DO YOU INCLUDE QUOTES IN YOUR REPLY?
There's a button on the bottom-right of each post that says quote. Push that and that person and their name will be in a quote on the Reply to Thread page. Alternatively, you can type out something, highlight it, and push (Wrap
tags around selected text] (it's a little quote button next to Insert Image on the Reply to Thread page)

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Follow-up question!
What IS a Survey Contest?
Aw, good question. Every month Gid is supposed to post a thread (i.e. October Survey Contest) and he allows a certain time (i.e. 24 hours) and members have to click on the survey links in the thread and then post that they have taken the surveys and they are entered (i.e. Just finished the surveys, hope I win!) into a draw. After the time alloted has expired, Gid will choose 3 random winners to win 3 levels of premium membership (i.e. 1st Place - 12 Months of Premium, 2nd Place - 3 Months of Premium and 3rd Place gets 1 Month of Premium Membership).

I checked out the announcements discussion forum and the most recent one I've seen is the "June Survey Contst" thread. It looks like we haven't had one since then.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
What will become of the character specific Melee forums as Brawl is released?

I'm not looking for a concrete plan, and I won't hold you to your answer. I'm just curious as to any tentative plans. Will they be collapsed into one forum like Smash64?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Concidering the huge ammount of traffic each room will still be maintaining, I'm pretty sure they'll all stay. Don't hold me to it, but I'm pretty sure they will.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
And along those same lines...

How long until each character in Brawl has his or her own forum? With all the spoiler-sensitive members showing up, is Smashboards going to "do them a favor" for a while or tell them "tough luck"?

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
A new member recently posted here in the PRoom, a youtube video of he and his friends made. I referred him to the youtube topic, and also the Creative Minds forum-- and then I got sort of confused. Creative minds is for writing , and Artwork Emporium is for art. User created movies can be conidered both.

Where do non-smash, user created videos fit in?

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
You are aware that these forums stretch across every continent in the world, right? I don't think we can exactly sit everyone down for a tournament.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
So, let's say I record a scene that I have to do for my Acting class. It's completely non-computer related... Computer Cafe?
Well if you're asking for critiking or whatever, tips on the acting and junk, then obviously it'd go in the creative minds room. I was thinking more along the likes of "I made this cool video using <whatever> what do you think?"

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
You are aware that these forums stretch across every continent in the world, right? I don't think we can exactly sit everyone down for a tournament.
I think he was referring to Brawl's online capabilities. To answer, that's only what M3D decides. If he wants to add someone based on a tournament, he's the guy to talk to about it. He never visits the Proom, so you are encouraged to PM him.

NoSurprises

Smash Cadet
How do I apply to the Debate Hall? I saw the thread that said what to do, but it didn't state how I do the application. It just said the first five are accepted as trial members

Kaento

Smash Apprentice
The new avatars?

just wondering, when will the new avatars be selectable? i saw alot of cool ones submitted several weeks ago so i'm really looking forward to this lol.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
While F8Al is correct, please don't answer questions if you're not a moderator

How do I apply to the Debate Hall? I saw the thread that said what to do, but it didn't state how I do the application. It just said the first five are accepted as trial members
Go to userCP, then go down to Group membership.

Skywalker

Space Jump
As most non-moderators (a.k.a. users who have been here a while) answer questions correctly, I don't see why they aren't allowed to do so.

Just a thought.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Because half the time non-mods don't know what they're talking about. Because of that rule, half of the forum isn't trying to answer questions. The only non-mods that do are the ones that are sure they are right, and even then they're not always correct.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I see why they don't want members to answer questions.

It's not like the mods think that we're all incompetent. It's just that if members are given the freedom, people that seriously don't know what they're talking about will pretend to be smart, and answer things that are beyond their power. Or just answer something stupid in general.

The mods generally answer every question within 24 hours, so it's not too big of a deal. If they don't answer it, then ask again. If they don't answer again, PM one of them. Just try to avoid asking the wrong question to the wrong mod. ie, don't PM Eor, asking him why you don't have SBR access, and that he should admit you.

Here's a a question I've had lately. Is there a good way to remind people of rule #8 without breaking rule #8 yourself? It's the ultimate forum paradox...

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
The mods generally answer every question within 24 hours, so it's not too big of a deal.
This is patently untrue, and that's my only point, really. There's a lot of good reasons that only moderators should answer questions, but an answer from a veteran forum member is certainly more helpful than nothing at all.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
This is patently untrue, and that's my only point, really. There's a lot of good reasons that only moderators should answer questions, but an answer from a veteran forum member is certainly more helpful than nothing at all.
How would one be considered a "veteran" forum member?

Top Bottom