• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sorry Guys... come to WATO!!!!! same weekend. Link 1st post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zephynazo

Zobaia -Deus- Ariana
^ Just have to ask. What u studying? Japanease? (If so - kool).

Also, D1, ur sig is really cool.

Also, this toruny will be good =) GL to everyone going.

Alukard

Smash Hero
if i can make this ... me and g$ are also taking all doubles money matches!

cyrain i love you man! LOL

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
Smooth Criminal, wanna put 5$ on it?

Nicaboy- you can bet for yourself in the matchup against my $$$ too if you wanna lose twice the cash.

Alukard you should come so you and G can give us money.

Alukard

Smash Hero
Smooth Criminal, wanna put 5$ on it?

Nicaboy- you can bet for yourself in the matchup against my $$$ too if you wanna lose twice the cash.

Alukard you should come so you and G can give us money.
i'll try my best to go ! i dunno about that last part tho LOLOL

also be ready to take ur shirt off after we take a commanding game 1 LOL

nicaboy

Smash Champion
]yo tope flamin roy is callin you and cyrain out. yea boi hey says our sheik fox team> your sheik fox team

WHERE THE **** YOU AT?!!!

5 dollars each make it happen!

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
OH SHI- Its FIZZI!

Yoooo wasssupz bro! Good to see you're still around!
Lol sup D1. You gonna be there on sunday? I'm gonna show up hopefully there will still be some people willing to play melee that day =P

Banks

Smash Hero
well there must be some reason for replacing the title and original post with '|'symbols

surely it is because this is going to be happening as advertised for 4 months

right

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
]yo tope flamin roy is callin you and cyrain out. yea boi hey says our sheik fox team> your sheik fox team

WHERE THE **** YOU AT?!!!

5 dollars each make it happen!
if you're gonna talk like that why not make it 20 each? lol

plank if this tournament still happens i'll make fun of you less

M@v

Subarashii!
1 of 3 things is happening:

1.Plank is trolling all of you. Hard.
2. Plank's account got hacked.
3. This is canceled.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=212102&page=22

Ryu4ever said:
Anyone looking to attend this event should expect a world of disappointment. For those that might not know, Manny's last attempt at putting on a large-scale event was a complete disaster for everyone who was involved or attended. But don't take my word for it - just Google "Kunicon" and see what comes up.

Rumor has been circulating for more than a month about GAMME changing dates. Except back then it was a money issue, unrelated to MLG. Based upon the above posts, I'd said the MLG bit was just a cover up. Manny regularly talks about deals that are unconfirmed or haven't been signed, drops names of people and companies he's never met or worked with, and cancels things at the last minute. Hell, I don't think GPX is even a real company. I couldn't find it on sunbiz.org

Let's just take a look at why this is gonna fail:

1 - Web Site - Manny's been pimping this event for more than 6 months on this board and he can't even get a **** website together. For an event as big as this is supposed to be where's all the information? Yeah, tourney info is available here, but what about everything else? If you didn't find out about it via Shoryuken or Smash Boards, you won't know it exists. Google turns up nothing but a half-finished website. Although he had no problem setting up an Eventbrite page to take your money...

2 - Tournament Payouts - The first thing that was ever announced about this event was the big GUARANTEED tourney pots. At current count - $27,000, and that's without a player putting in a dime. Where is all this money coming from? No sponsors have been mentioned, and I doubt Manny is putting up the money himself. This is the man who notoriously gave out grape soda as a prize at Florida Supercon. It's been a running joke ever since.

3 - Other promises - Japanese players? Who's flying them in? That's another $10,000+ in expenses. 150,000 person capacity concert venue for Basshunter? Gig's not listed on his website... or anywhere else on the internet. 100 hours of panels, 18 cosplay events, manga library & jpop lounge, maid cafe, 150+ game systems... that requires a LOT of staff. Video Games Live? It's not on their website.

Let's face it - for a first time event it sounds way too good to be true... Manny knows how to deliver the hype, but that's ALL he knows how to deliver. I'm not saying that everything he claims to have is a lie. All I'm saying is that he has a long history of making promises he can't keep. So do your research before you shell out several hundred bucks for a flight to Orlando.
Everything is all rumor at this point but the signs haven't been very promising for awhile now.

There was a reason this event was not stuck, and it wasn't too do with MLG being the same weekend.

---

As a word of advice though: don't salivate over every tournament that posts up a big prize pot and promises big things. SNES, Winterfest, and this ALL had the same signs.

Essentially learn to read critically. Ask questions like
-Have they run events before in our community
-Can the person holding this tournament be held accountable
-Where will this money be coming from
-Does it seem legit and does the organization seem professional

Laijin

Smash Hero
LOL WUT. This dude did Kunicon? Thats where I stopped reading. I actually went to that con lol.
Wooow I suddenly lost ALL trust in this dude and without reading the rest, I can fully understand why this will fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom