• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Strategy Pokedex Submissions

Niiro

Smash Ace
I'll be adding this new set to the TTar post but I was hoping I could get some input first:

BabiriTar

Tyranitar@Babiri Berry
Jolly/Sand Stream
110Atk/148SpDef/252Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Crunch
-Fire Punch
-Stone Edge/Earthquake

At first glance this seems gimmicky, but it really is a force to be reckoned with if played properly. One of DDtar's biggest weaknesses is Scizor and it's STAB Bullet punch, KO'ing the beast before it can strike no matter how much speed it has. The Babiri Berry acts somewhat like the Yache Berry for Garchomp, allowing it to take even a LO Bullet Punch for only ~34%. It even survives an Adamant Choice Band Meteor Mash from Metagross taking 75% average. The Special Defense EV's allow it to reasonably set up on many special attackers like Jolteon, Zapdos, Rotom-A and Latias(should it be foolish enough to stay in on Tyranitar) Should scizor come in to try and ruin your fun he'll be sadly surprised to find himself both unable to KO Tyranitar and dead.
*ahem* doesn't work so well =D

D

Deleted member

I'm sure it works fine on shoddy. Too bad shoddy =/= pokemon, for a number of reasons.

D

Deleted member

Your constant hate of shoddybattle is sort of annoying mow >_>
likewise for your condescending attitude towards the DS games.

I can't help it that they aren't the same. When they are, I think your sets will be much better.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
They aren't the same, but there's nothing inherently wrong with Shoddybattle. Shoddy just gives you instantly everything you work for hours for on the DS. What's the difference between a Metagross on Shoddy and a Metagross on DS?

D

Deleted member

for one, the likelihood that you will get ***** by Hidden Power Fire as a byproduct of Scizor's success, something that the US can't largely experience at the moment.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Shoddy except the concept of talent that it gives. Shoddy makes you good at Shoddy, but Shoddy does not make you good at Pokemon.

D

Deleted member

it is the only real pokemon, but that's due to the mechanical differences between shoddy and the DS which I do not expect you to understand. for example, flinch hax jirachi would never work on DS. like, it really will not work.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
I guess Shedinja could switch in safely on Scizor, but it would be pretty ineffective. Will-O-Wisp could help cripple Scizor, but I guess if you think your opponent is going to do some crazy prediction and can't switch in your own Heatran, then Shedinja would be semi-effective I guess...

D

Deleted member

hmm, okay. pokemon uses a random number generator to determine things like critical hits. For example, Shoddy thinks a CH happens 6.25% of the time, or 6.25 out of 100. The DS starts at 16/256. However, the DS also has pseudo-random seeding, meaning it changes depending on the outcomes. For example, if you get a CH, it might move to being 12/256 instead, wheres shoddy is totally static in its values.

Togekiss has a 60/100 chance to flinch with Air Slash and the opponent has a 25/100 chance of being paralyzed out of the remaining 40% chance to attack. So, on Shoddy, you will not be able to attack back 70% of the time. However, on the DS, Air Slash has an approximated value, since 60 does not divide into 256 evenly. The value is then floored to 153/256 (59.7% chance) and then a 64/256 chance to be fully paralyzed. those values are still almost similar. But because of the pseudo-random seeding, they change after each outcome depending on prior outcomes. So let's say you flinch the first turn, you no longer have a 153/256 chance to flinch, but it is instead less likely to happen. Since the paralysis chance never used a RNG value, it stays the same. On the second turn, you miss the flinch and your opponent is paralyzed. On the 3rd turn, because each was activated once, you are less likely to get either a flinch or paralysis. On the 4th turn, because you got neither the previous turn and because you got no flinch on the 2nd turn, they are likely to go back up.

Because of this, the DS still technically has a 70% chance for your opponent to attack, however it is not possible for large deviations of it that shoddy allows. For example, while Skymin was legal, I have witnessed upwards of 15 turns of flinching in a row. This simply will_not_happen on the DS, as the game does not allow it.

Platypus

Smash Ace
Astride a magic potato alongside Mario. ________ S
I would like to note that my win percentage is much higher on Random Battle than it is on the Smogon ladder. It seems that some find it difficult to come up with a strategy when they don't know where their big guns are and Hidden Power doesn't always work the best it can. Most people have no idea what to do when they only have Nerf guns.

You pistol whip.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Sorry for being late, but first...

Yeah all right I'll fix that. Just be lucky that I'm actually responding as flaming the **** out of me is not quite the most motivating thing ever. Don't the Pokémon Researcher rules say

ADD STUFF. SUGGEST STUFF. Your PM didn't contribute anything. Just "edit it, or stop posting". This sounds like flaming to me. Flaming = bad. A mod flaming = should not exist.

Next time you're going to yell at me, post constructive criticism, as you're not getting me much further with PMs like that.

And yes, I'm going to fix that stuff. Currently working at it. Also, for some things it's hard to get more that two lines of text.

Edit: Edited Azelf, the main point of criticism.
Let's quickly go over both of my PM's which you ignored/didn't respond to, just so everyone knows what your definition of a mod flaming is.

PRIVATE MESSAGE #1

[/COLOR]

#373 Salamence
Dragon/Flying
Intimidate: Lowers opponents Attack by 1 stage upon entering the battle
95HP/135Atk/80Def/110SpA/80SpD/110Spe

Dragon Dance + Outrage

Salamence @ Life Orb
Intimidate/Naughty
252Spe/252Atk/4SpA
Dragon Dance
Outrage
Earthquake
Fire Blast

Get a DD in and and hit the fricken' **** out of your opponent. Earthquake vs. Steels and Fire Blast vs. Skarmory and Bronzong.

How does this help anyone dude? What if someone wants to come in here to get a recommended Salamence set to use? You think they'll look at this and say "Hm, ok if a Steel comes in I'll use Earthquake and if Bronzong and Skarmory come in I'll use Fire Blast? Give some damage calculations to begin with, that would be nice. Things to watch out for recently in the metagame, strategies to use with this Pokemon.

Choice Specs

Salamence @ Choice Specs
Intimidate/Modest
252SpA/252Spe/4HP
Draco Meteor
Flamethrower
Hydro Pump
Dragon Pulse

350 Special Attack + Choice Specs + STAB + 140 Base Power = Ow. Flamethrower beats most steels, and the others are owned by Hydro Pump. Dragon Pulse is better lategame.

Why is Dragon Pulse better late game? How about the risk/reward of using completely special instead of a physical attack? What kind of Pokes do you want to be using Hydro Pump on, why is it so good? Your damage calculation=Ow is just...Idk. How about you give us the value at the end of it? Talk about how Choice Specs may suit some people's style, but for others it won't.

Choice Band

Salamence @ Choice Band
Intimidate/Naughty
252Atk/252Spe/4SpA
Outrage
Fire Blast
Aqua Tail
Earthquake/Stone Edge

Much like the special version, only this time with 405 Attack and 120 Base Power. Fire Blast beats steels and Aqua Tail are good against Gliscor and Hippowdon. Earthquake owns a lot of Pokés and Stone Edge can be used against Zapdos.

How is this much like the special version? It has one special attack, that's it. You can't just throw out specific Pokemon that certain moves do well against. Give specific situations. People are going to try to get you locked in with Choice Band vs a Pokemon that you can't do anything against, so give ways to get around that.

Other options:

All sets can have their +(sp.)atk natures traded in for +speed natures (Modest into Timid, Naughty into Naive) if you want more speed. Salamence can be used a bit defensively with not too bad defensive stats and Intimidate and with Roost you can heal, if using that. Yache Berry can be used as Salamence hates Ice a lot.

EVs:

Max speed and your offensive stat of choice. Unlike Smogon I'm not going to let you go out of your way to negate the 2% chance of not OHKOing with Fire Blast, but if you're really worried about that shift some EVs over. (24 SpA EVs guarantee a KO on Skarmory.)

Troublesome Pokés:

Mamoswine has big attack and Ice Shard. Weavile outspeeds and has Ice Punch or Ice Shard. Porygon2 can cripple physical versions by switching in. Salamence can be killed by getting it locked into Outrage while getting something Steel like Registeel or Skarmory. With Stealth Rock on, you can hurt it by pseudohazing it. As with everything Special, Blissey walls the Specs set.
You have a lot of stuff to add dude. Like someone else said, a lot of it is common sense.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
hmm, okay. pokemon uses a random number generator to determine things like critical hits. For example, Shoddy thinks a CH happens 6.25% of the time, or 6.25 out of 100. The DS starts at 16/256. However, the DS also has pseudo-random seeding, meaning it changes depending on the outcomes. For example, if you get a CH, it might move to being 12/256 instead, wheres shoddy is totally static in its values.

Togekiss has a 60/100 chance to flinch with Air Slash and the opponent has a 25/100 chance of being paralyzed out of the remaining 40% chance to attack. So, on Shoddy, you will not be able to attack back 70% of the time. However, on the DS, Air Slash has an approximated value, since 60 does not divide into 256 evenly. The value is then floored to 153/256 (59.7% chance) and then a 64/256 chance to be fully paralyzed. those values are still almost similar. But because of the pseudo-random seeding, they change after each outcome depending on prior outcomes. So let's say you flinch the first turn, you no longer have a 153/256 chance to flinch, but it is instead less likely to happen. Since the paralysis chance never used a RNG value, it stays the same. On the second turn, you miss the flinch and your opponent is paralyzed. On the 3rd turn, because each was activated once, you are less likely to get either a flinch or paralysis. On the 4th turn, because you got neither the previous turn and because you got no flinch on the 2nd turn, they are likely to go back up.

Because of this, the DS still technically has a 70% chance for your opponent to attack, however it is not possible for large deviations of it that shoddy allows. For example, while Skymin was legal, I have witnessed upwards of 15 turns of flinching in a row. This simply will_not_happen on the DS, as the game does not allow it.
I never knew this.

The time required to play DS Pokemon isn't worth it, though.

WouW

Smash Lord
Let's quickly go over both of my PM's which you ignored/didn't respond to, just so everyone knows what your definition of a mod flaming is.

PRIVATE MESSAGE #1

I got no response to this PM. After going back and checking on your articles, I not only realized that what I asked wasn't fixed, but that there was a serious lack of content. I then sent you this.
Err. You said that I should add the number and to add 'written by' under it. I did both.

PRIVATE MESSAGE #2

I told you not to write anymore new entries w/o going back and editing your old ones. I even gave you encouragement at the end.

I didn't flame you, chill out.
I didn't see any form of encouragement, and it definitely did look like flaming. Do you even read what you post?

Do I REALLY have to tell you what to change? Have you never read any of these from any other site before? *sigh* Alright man. Let's start by taking a look at your Salamence article. My changes will be in red.
Apparently there are mods who do an even worse job at it.
Heck, how many Strategy Dex articles actually do have calculations?

You have a lot of stuff to add dude. Like someone else said, a lot of it is common sense.
What's wrong with common sense? Should I now post senseless stuff because it is senseless?

Niiro

Smash Ace
What's wrong with common sense? Should I now post senseless stuff because it is senseless?
Common sense meaning that it seems that you just posted the more obvious facts about the set, not spending much time on the calculations and such.

D

Deleted member

everyone quit bitching.

if you want to bitch go do it in a forum that I don't moderate.

c3gill

Smash Ace
Another favorite of mine

I listed a few sets for one of my favorite pokes, dugtrio- here is another one for another of my favs-

Arcanine, The Legendary Pokemon, isnt in the Dex- so heres a few ideas for it:

CB-Nine
Arcanine @ Choice Band
Intimidate: Jolly
252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Flare Blitz
Extremespeed
Thunderfang
HP Ground

This set goes off Arcanine's pretty decent stats to make a fast, hard-hitting pokemon. Flare Blitz goes off his 110 Atk and gets STAB, so unless a poke resists this its going to be hurting. Extremespeed is to finish off weakened pokemon, Thunderfang and HP Ground give decent type coverage.

Specs Nine
Arcanine @ Choice Specs
Intimidate: Timid
252 Sp Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Overheat
Dragon Pulse
HP Ground
Extremespeed

While it is his lower attacking stat, 100 Sp. Atk is nothing to laugh at. Most people will automatically see Arcanine and think CB, so this can get some surprise KOs. Overheat gives STAB, everything else is just coverage.

Bulky Phazer

Arcanine @ leftovers
Intimidate: Bold
252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Speed
Will-o-Wisp
Roar
Toxic
Fire Blast

A little different than a normal bulky Arcanine, this set is built on WoWing and Roaring. any walls you come across that wont care about WoW wont like Toxic. Fire Blast is on here because it hits harder than flamethrower, but wont slowly lose worth, as Overheat does. And arcanine doesnt want to lose the life from Flare Blitz .

Mix-Nine

Arcanine @ life orb
Flash Fire: (Naive or Hasty)
200 Atk / 100 Sp Atk / 208 Speed
Flare Blitz
Thunder Fang
Extremespeed
Overheat

A decent take-off of Mix-Nape, Arcanine has STAB to whack stuff with Flare Blitz, and Overheat if they will take more damage. Thunder Fang and Extremespeed are for coverage and a priority move. Flash Fire works very nicely with this set, giving Arcanine's STAB an amazing boost- very few things can survive a LO FFed STAB attack from Arcanine.

extra options:

Flash Fire is worth considering, as it gives his STAB a nice boost, but generally Intimidate is the way to go.

Choice Scarf can be considered over Choice Band, if you feel the need for speed- his speed, at base 95, is one of his biggest downfalls.

Arcanine actually has a decent movepool, but it suffers from one main problem- the pokemon that resist him resist almost everything he has. To list some move and set options-

Sunny Day- somehow he can learn sunny day and solarbeam, so a surprise set could be a sunny beamer.
Iron Tail- whacks stuff that is rock for nice damage, but it doesnt have the best chance to hit.
Crunch- to hit those psychic and ghost types, and has nice base power.
Substitute OR Restalker- If you feel like adding more bulk and less power to your Bulky nine.
Dragon Pulse- hits dragons hard, as they generally resist whatever else Arcanine can throw at them
Heat Wave is an option over Overheat, but generally not worth comparing
Aerial Ace- Just a nice option to have, only thing it really does is hit fighting types though.
HP Grass- Yea it gets a special mention- a lot of Arcanine sets are walled by Bulky Waters and Rock Pokemon. This will help whack them away.

EVs-

For most sets, Arcanine will want his main attacking stat and speed mixed. His Bulky EV spread lets him survive a few decent hits while still giving him the opportunity to Phaze and WoW.

Troublesome Pokemon and Stealth Rocks!-

Stealth Rocks is VERY troublesome for Arcanine. On his main sets (Choice), SR extremely limits Arcanines effectivness. If he cannot switch in and out effectively, he has little use. Bulky Waters will knock Arcanine out of the water (intended). A single Super effective hit on Arcanine should do the trick, but dont be surprised if it doesnt- 80 defense and Sp defense isnt too shabby on an offensive pokemon. Heatran is a nice bet if Arcanine isnt holding HP Ground, as with most flash fire users. Also, prediction- a well predicted Earthquake will send Arcanine to his doom.

c3gill

Smash Ace
dex needs some new entries- ima throw a Scizor together when i get home :)

c3gill

Smash Ace

#212 Scizor
Typing: Steel / Bug
Abilities: Swarm- When HP is below 1/3, Bug's power is raised 1.5 times power.
Technician- Moves with a base power of 60 or less raise to 1.5 times power.
70 / 130 / 100 / 55 / 80 / 65

The Grim Reaper

Scizor @ Life Orb
Technician: Adamant
252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
X-Scissor
Brick Break

This set currently rocks the OU metagame. Ev's are simple: max speed and max attack. Often it is debated if you should throw 32 EV's into HP for 11 uses of Life Orb- however, I strongly disagree with this strategy. Spikes and Stealth Rock are too common to bank on someone not using them, and even if you luck out there chances are you will take damage. The ability to outspeed the generic Scizor gives you a significant advantage. The basic idea is switch in on someone who you can set up on, Swords Dance, and proceed to slaughter your opponent. Bullet Punch is a must, X-Scissor or U-Turn is preference, as is Brick Break or Superpower.

WTF passer

Scizor@ Leftovers
Technicinan: Jolly
EVs listed in Set Details
Swords Dance / Iron Defense / Agility
Roost
Baton Pass
Bullet Punch

EVs:
Swords Dance- 252 HP / 84 Atk / 172 Speed
Iron Defense- 246 HP / 16 Atk / 248 Sp Def
Agility- 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 Speed

Each Baton Passing set has EVs tailored to its specific move. SD set is to keep Attack up while having decent speed, Iron Defense is to increase its survivability while keeping some attacking power, and Agility is to max survivability.

This set is a gimmick set, playing off the expected LO or Band set. While your opponent runs away from Scizor, you can begin your boost. Obviously whichever stat boost you plan on passing should fit your team. Needless to say, a Trick Room team would not benefit from an agility-passing pokemon. Bullet Punch is just to give him an attack move.

Bandzor

Scizor @ Choice Band
Technician: Adamant
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Speed
Bullet Punch
U-Turn
Pursuit
Superpower

Switch in, hit stuff hard, and run. At the end of a match, Banded Technician STAB Bullet Punch can be used to clean up. U-turn is to scout counters, Superpower hits stuff really hard, Pursuit is to kill those trying to escape his wrath.

Extra Options:

Scizor has a lot of possible options, some worth more than others. Here are some decent move options:
  • X- Scissor and U-turn are pretty much interchangable. They should be used according to the purpose of the set.
  • Superpower and Brick Break are also generally interchangable- Superpower hits hard, but brings a drop in Atk and Def. Brick Break is nice because, while weaker than Superpower, it does break reflect and light screen.
  • Quick Attack- decent after Technician, gives him a priority move for pokemon that resist steel
  • Night Slash and Iron Head- these should be used on a Choice Scarf set, because the only big bonus they bring is decent flinch rates
  • Double Hit isnt great, but it does get the Technician bonus

EVs:

Listed with the sets, generally you want to Max HP and Attack though. Speed isnt really going to give you anything amazingly notable- at base 65 Scizor's speed is his most obvious flaw- luckily, Bullet Punch ignores that :)

Troublesome Pokemon:

Anything with Will-o-Wisp. Scizor is generally laughed at without its massive attack. Fire is the ultimate bane of this beast, as it not just is his only weakness, but a x4 weakness. Being unaffected by Sandstorm only helps to build his metagame, and with his massive resists, few pokemon are able to stand up to Scizor once he has set up.

Any Rotom set (especially H!) should be able to deal with Scizor, along with Gyarados and Zapdos. Skarmory isnt a bad choice, as it resists Scizor's STAB, and only takes neutral damage from Fighting moves- and it a great physical wall. Moltres and Charizard could also a decent bet, as they not only resists Scizors STAB and fighting, but can hit hard with SE STAB Fire moves.

Heatran is a decent choice, but if predicted he can be OHKOed with a Superpower.

Other than those listed, you should look to pokemon that are good physical walls to deal with Scizor.

I will be leaving this up for about 3 days before I post it on the Strategy Dex. If you have any issues, complaints, or thoughts, type them up so we can discuss!

WouW

Smash Lord
Good.

Don't forget to add the correct opening format:

[sprite]

#[3-digits number] [name]
Type: [type]
Abilities: [ability] - [description]
[second ability] - [description]
[base HP]-[atk]-[def]-[spA]-[spD]-[spe]

ozg82889

Smash Journeyman
can you guys add my scizor set which is on the first page to the one c3gill made. i'll appreciate it.

it's hard to make 3 original sets and im not going to copy+paste smogon sets.

c3gill

Smash Ace
can you guys add my scizor set which is on the first page to the one c3gill made. i'll appreciate it.

it's hard to make 3 original sets and im not going to copy+paste smogon sets.
you dont need to copy+paste anything- look at the current metagame- what sets are people using? what set would be a decent surprise? Does the pokemon in question have abilities and moves to play that set proficiently?

As for your set on the first page, there are a lot of holes- you have 3 attacking moves, but a defensive nature and EV's. Protect... is only good for scouting moves, and working with wish or a status that kills your opponent. This set doesnt have a status, and Scizor cant learn wish.

In my mind, your set is contingent on too much, and too situational for permanent use on a team. Your banking on a lot to happen that is generally, from what it sounds like, in your favor. So far as assuming a BPed SD, SR, and SS all in your favor!

The biggest issue with this set is that your expecting your opponent to be dragged down by SS damage and your slow, steady BP/QA. What you dont realize is how many pokemon will laugh at this combo (especially without any real attacking power) and set up in your face- and proceed to **** your team. Just look at those pokemon I listed in the Troublesome Pokemon section- Gyarados really comes to mind. Switch in, DD on your protect, hit you, DD on your protect, and your dead. what then? bank on a phazer or hazer to outspeed that Gyarados? dont bet on it.

Honestly, if you feel like revamping your set to reflect a true defensive set and PM it to me ill look it over and consider throwing it in over one of my sets. But its going to have to be a decent and applicable set. A defensive set without Roost is going to be hard to visualize- even the BP set I used has it, just for safety.

c3gill

Smash Ace
I used an agility BP Scizor for a while and let me tell you that you really want 172 Speed EV's on that thing. It gives you a stat of 209, outspeeding scarftran perfectly.
sounds like a worthly reason to switch around EVs. I switched- but i gotta ask- did you run max HP?

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
I made a moveset myself, hope you guys like it.

Here's my Drifblim

WallBlim
Driftblim @ Leftovers
Aftermath: Careful
252 Hp/6 Att/126 Def/126 Sp. Def
Will-O-Wisp
Stockpile
Swallow
Payback

Is this nice?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I made a moveset myself, hope you guys like it.

Here's my Drifblim

WallBlim
Driftblim @ Leftovers
Aftermath: Careful
252 Hp/6 Att/126 Def/126 Sp. Def
Will-O-Wisp
Stockpile
Swallow
Payback

Is this nice?
Swallow is sort of out of place on this set. The recovery is nice but you lose all the defense you worked for so it's sort of defeats the purpose of the set. Rest would probably be better.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Since I can't post in the strategy Pokedex, imma post here.

How is Scarf Magneton better than Scarf Magnezone?

Top Bottom