• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Depends on how DI works in this. If it like trying to DI out of Brawl Pikachu's Dsmash then **** that, if it's like Melee Peach's Dsmash then okay.
Well, it was mentioned that the attack can cause Megaman to overheat if used for too long. I still hope that the DI mechanics have been greatly changed to where there's no magic direction to get out of an attack.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Even if you still hate the Wii Fit Trainer and Villager, Sakurai gave us one of the most requested characters since Melee in the form of Megaman. Also, keep in mind that with the Brawl reveal Metaknight and Wario were the only two characters that were genuinely popular so this situation really isn't all that different in the grand scheme of things.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I feel like that it is similar to DDD's b; therefore, if he isn't charging it then 50% right off the bat with stupid DI mechanics then I'm worried.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Not necessarily, but she's going to be used to promote the game and has been unveiled early enough to always be associated with the game, which is what starters often are. It would kind of defeat the purpose to make her unlockable now, and it would really be a first for a Nintendo character shown at (or shortly after) the unveil, but if today has taught us nothing else, it's that Sakurai is a crazy ******* who is hard to predict. So yeah... now anything goes I guess.
I feel that she could still be an unlockable without defeating the purpose of strongly associating her with the game, that's a bit of a non sequitur to me. In addition, although third party (unsure how that distinction would impact this point however), Snake, heavily associated with Brawl from the beginning, needed to be unlocked, albeit very easily.

Anyways, one point that I can probably agree on is that she perhaps should have been revealed later. I'm over the shock (and admittedly, rejection) from the reveal of her, but I can see how it would have been more "prudent" to hold off on her, despite her making a character that could cause a lot of buzz (unwanted or not).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
To any of the Skullgirls players, does WFT sound an awful lot like Valentine?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Wii Fit Trainer makes absolute sense as a starter, and others have pointed out how revealing her now leaves only more hype characters later. So for those who ARE disappointed with her, it won't happen as the game is about to release, turning people off.

Still, would have preferred another character reveal after her to soften the blow (not that I'm bitter, but for those who are). Still kind of hoping for that, but I think she is what Miyamoto was referring to before.

Yall' need to calm down. What's up with all the hate on Wii Fit Girl? She's a beast, and comedy gold in general. If you don't like her then don't pick her. Personally, I like all the reveals so far. It shows that Sakurai isn't afraid to steer away from generic character expectations. If any of you guys are mad it's your own fault by setting standards based on popularity and other factors that don't mean anything like move sets, game sells and character popularity etc. While these are important factors, they aren't set in stone. Some popular characters will join the roster, but if they don't then they don't, i'm sure there will be a wide plethora of characters you will enjoy. I mean, I thought having an animal crossing character would be ridiculous, but seeing him now I really look forward to playing with him. Besides all of this, its the first day; relax.

vicgur

Smash Ace
Gotta love the mixed reactions the WFT is getting.
Personally, I love how random she is.
Also, we're in the FIRST DAY of announcements! There are lots of awesome characters who are yet to be announced. So stop being such drama queens.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I feel that she could still be an unlockable without defeating the purpose of strongly associating her with the game, that's a bit of a non sequitur to me. In addition, although third party (unsure how that distinction would impact this point however), Snake, heavily associated with Brawl from the beginning, needed to be unlocked, albeit very easily.
What really is the point of making WFT an unlockable once everyone already knows about her?

Third-parties seem to be in a different category, one that is fairly understandable. They are instrumental in building hype, so they are unveiled along with starters, but given Sakurai's priority to things Nintendo, it makes sense he would relegate them to unlockable status.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
Remember, it's still in development. This is probably Megaman's version of pre-release MK's side-B.

Also, maybe it's not the s00p3r l33t wavedashing frenzy now, but it could be later.

D

Deleted member

When my friend texted me about WFT, I thought he was trolling.
When I found out he was serious, I was in a state of disbelief.

Shortly after seeing her in action, I find her inclusion humorous, despite a clear indication that Sakurai is completely unpredictable.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
When my friend texted me about WFT, I thought he was trolling.
When I found out he was serious, I was in a state of disbelief.

Shortly after seeing her in action, I find her inclusion humorous, despite a clear indication that Sakurai is completely unpredictable.
This E3 was unpredictable for me.
Kingdom Hearts III was confirmed, as well as the Fairy type turning from rumor to reality for Pokemon X and Y.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
What really is the point of making WFT an unlockable once everyone already knows about her?

Third-parties seem to be in a different category, one that is fairly understandable. They are instrumental in building hype, so they are unveiled along with starters, but given Sakurai's priority to things Nintendo, it makes sense he would relegate them to unlockable status.
The thing is, you're assuming that the point of making a character an unlockable is so that they are unknown to the player. While that obviously makes a lot of sense, given everything we know really, I'm just saying that simply causing you to have to unlock a character doesn't really make they're association nonsensical, even if they aren't third party or monstrous in hype. My point is feeble, yes, so I'll just agree with you and Oasis on the subject, and like the latter remarks, it seems pretty agreeable.

D

Deleted member

Take with a grain of salt, but apparently Gematsu claims that they were informed last week of 6 new characters being revealed at E3, three of which being the three we have seen.
The other three they claim are Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Mii.

Given how Sakurai's own Mii appears at :56 in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqxDPJmO6f8
If Miis were to be revealed, it would probably showcase Sakurai's.

http://gematsu.com/2013/06/wii-fit-trainer-joins-super-smash-bros

If this is true, at the very least Little Mac is a good thing for most, right?

-Link-

Smash Cadet
As for who is and who isn't a starting character really doesn't make a difference to me. The first thing I do when I play a new smash game is unlock the crap out all the characters lol. By the way, as long as the story mode has an interesting and well developed story I could care less about who I start with. I am good with all smash characters. ;)

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Take with a grain of salt, but apparently Gematsu claims that they were informed last week of 6 new characters being revealed at E3, three of which being the three we have seen.

Given how Sakurai's own Mii appears at :56 in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqxDPJmO6f8

I've warmed up to Fitness Trainer a bit, but the Mii on top of that would be too much to swallow. Man they'd better not put him in.

Still, if Gematsu was right about Fitness Trainer, they've gotta be right about all of them. Bleh.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I'll be happy if lil mac & Pac is in
indifferent to Mii
Just show me
Ridley and King K. Rool

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
But but... Layton... D: Oh well, if those three are next in line and Toon Link and Layton are hazy and we have a long wait ahead for future reveals. I guess I can be a little excited for Little Mac. At least bring me Mewtwo and I guess I'll be satisfied...

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
If the Mii does have to be in, I guess I'd rather they get him out of the way as soon as possible so we can move on to good characters.

I just don't want to fight a bunch of freaking Narutos and god knows what else online, but oh well.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
They did reveal a lot of veterans this time.

Also, there was no reference to the Year of Luigi in this trailer, oddly enough.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So... is there a confirmation that we will get another character today?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
People seem to forget that Brawl had 12 newcomers in the starting roster. If Mii makes the cut, so what?
If we assume that there's 12 newcomers again than Mii and Wii Fitness Trainer are 1/6th of our total newcomers. Pac-Man and Mega Man are another 1/6th, which leaves "normal" Nintendo characters as only 2/3rds of our total newcomers. I'd rather a legitimate character instead of a Mii; Miis look kinda dumb and if you want a wacky Wii-based character you've got the Wii Fit Trainer.

Still, given how they shoved Miis into Mario Kart I guess it only makes sense that they'll be shoved into SSB4 too.

People say that characters aren't specifically cut to make way for, say, Mii, and that's true, but it is also undeniable that the resources which could have been given to another cut character concept would be instead given to the Mii.

-Link-

Smash Cadet

Mii? Honestly almost feels useless after having newcomers like villager and Wii fit trainer.... Oh well, anyway I am almost more interested in finding out which veterans are returning and which ones aren't. Though I almost don't care (if the speculations are right) if toon link doesn't return. Honestly one Link is plenty :)
Also, I must say I am glad to see the improvements on bowsers fighting style and speed, lol it actually makes me feel like playing him more often... Now if only they have the same idea on Gannondorf, instead of making him a Capt. Falcon clone.... Actually the same goes for every other clone you can name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom