• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - NO SPOILERS, USE THE SPOILER THREAD PLEASE

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I actually liked the SLOW intro this time around.

It really introduced the game well.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I like the intro as far as narrative goes but holy **** there's a lot of hand holding and forced explanations for things you already know

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Oot didn't start out slow. You jumped right into the first dungeon just about. This slow starting stuff began with Wind Waker really.
You're definitely right. I was gonna edit my post, but got a bit lazy lol.

You figure they'd learn by now.

And just wait until you get a handful of Fi :troll:

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
hey i have homebrew on a 4.3 wii and it says there is an update when i try to launch SS. can someone help me : 3

etecoon

Smash Hero
if fi went "hey listen!" every time she went to tell you something, she'd easily surpass navi as the most annoying sidekick

as it is she may surpass navi anyway

edit: if you have homebrew just run it through gecko OS

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
thanks etecoon i loaded it through gecko and got the motion plus vid but when it tells me to plug in the nunchuck and wait i never get to the next screen. do i not have a software update for the motion plus or is it that im using a 3rd party controller? thanks again

theeboredone

Smash Legend
From what I read, you have to enable a code to pass through the WM+ video. Otherwise, the game will reset afterwards over and over.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Loving the game so far, and I'm not even up to the first dungeon.

The intro was a little boring from a gameplay perspective because this isn't my first Zelda game and I know what Z targeting is god dammit. But really, the languid pace really works in this game as opposed to the dreadfulness of TP's opening. The slow pace serves to characterize Link, Zelda and the side characters in a wonderfully charming way. I have a crush on Zelda in this game. Groose is hilarious. I love the Bully-esque setting for the beginning and I really love the expressiveness of the cutscenes.

Way too much dialogue so far though. The actions and expressions of the characters say much more than the dialogue does.

The controls are working swimmingly for me. The only thing I really have trouble with is the bomb rolling mechanic...and controlling Link when freefalling is kinda awkward.

So far, I like Fi but if she is really invasive and distracting I can see her getting super annoying as time goes on. I love her design and her voice and the weird robotic manner of speaking.

The music is a dream.

The graphics are a mixed bag. It's mostly gorgeous but there are definitely a few "off" details at moments.

John2k4

The End of an Era
I found the intro great.
Waterfall Cave
provided a good "first/mini" dungeon setting.
Bird flying took me a couple minutes to get right, but after that I have no issues with it.
I spent probably 5 minutes fighting/carrying around that pet thing
when Fi was guiding me through the night
, until I realized there was a ledge to climb on. :laugh:

The
surface
is interesting so far, and I'm liking the
Dowsing ability
, and the resulting miniquest in the
forest
of finding all the
Kiwi-things
. :)

etecoon

Smash Hero
I find dowsing obnoxious

and I guess I missed something, in the first dungeon and I don't have bombs

fi's design is great but OH GOD THE HAND HOLDING. for narrative purposes so far she's great but as a giver of advice they needed to back off, way off

new game+ better be devoid of this crap

also shields are...much more breakable than i thought they'd be so far, haven't broken it yet but the shield meter has been depleting a lot faster than I expected, going to have to be upgrading/fixing it constantly it looks like

John2k4

The End of an Era
I opted to buy a potion instead of a shield, and I didn't buy bombs either.
I plan on using the
Return to Sky
thing to go get some. :)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
You can't just buy bombs, you need the bomb bag.

Also, you don't need to buy a shield, the knight headmaster guy or whatever (the guy with the long white hair) gives you one as soon as you come back from getting the
Goddess Sword

Dowsing is kinda dumb. My biggest problem with it is that I often just want to look around, but if I hold in C for a second it brings up the dowsing menu and obscures everything. I like the beacons though because I'm terrible with directions.

I'm also not really understanding the complaints that it's not perfect 1:1. That would be hideous and a complete nightmare to control.

etecoon

Smash Hero
yeah, I tried to buy bombs and he wouldn't let me, also the shopkeeper is creepy

most of the human NPCs are creepy...

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I'm also not really understanding the complaints that it's not perfect 1:1. That would be hideous and a complete nightmare to control.
This this this this.

I'm almost done with the first temple and I'm LOVING this game so far.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I can't help but compare the professor that had you rescue that crazy cat thing to the Shaman of Kakariko Village in Twilight Princess. The resemblance seems very uncanny to me.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I do. I used a code to make it more 1:1 and it was amazing...but its a little glitched so I can't use it and I can't even kill the stupid spider. The jab is simply not registering properly. Uhg...here is hoping that the hackers make a traditional controller code

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I dunno about the 8 directions thing. The mushrooms in the first dungeon show the angle of your swing for a second, and it is definitely more specific than 8 directions. I reckon they didn't animate Link's sword/arm that way because, again, it would look hideous most of the time.

It's not a matter of wii motion sensitivity. No matter how sensitive and accurate the wiimote, it will never be able to really tell the angle your arm is at.

edit: oh, the complaint is about reaction time? huh.....i dunno, i guess that could bother some people, but i never noticed it lol

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Like holy **** Dastrn, I worked on a project just like that once. It is totally dead, but um... Let's talk?
Yes. Let's.

I can't really understand why we haven't already put together an indie game development company made up entirely of SWFers. Me, you, M3D, TheBuzzSaw, and like 10 other dudes could all do some amazing stuff together.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Okay so decided to call it a night at beginning of 5th dungeon.

The cool thing is there is always stuff to do before a dungeon, in a way that really brings out more of an area. Trust me guys the slow start is worth it, yes it starts a bit slow but like LT says, it brings all the backstory and characters to life quite well.

But yeah the game just keeps on getting more and more intriguiing, the bosses are great, and Hyrule is now a million times more interesting than it ever was.
I'm guessing you're all at Faron by now, but wait until you get to Lanayru, definitely one the most awesome places in any Zelda game due to a certain gameplay element put in, really adds a rich and unexpected history to Hyrule...

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I do agree that there should be less talking, more acting.

I've only just started.

I suppose my growing accustomed to not having to read in recent years has effected my patience to sit and read text. I'll grow used to it again, though.

John2k4

The End of an Era
I wish you could fast forward it or something (thinking Paper Mario, where pressing B activates Super Scrolling mode). :p

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
There is an 85% chance that people who complain about the wiimote to sword translation are spastics.

John2k4

The End of an Era
I have not had any noticeable issues with remote-to-sword actions...if anyhting, the menu/selection systems are a bit...snappy.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
In all honesty, I think for this kind of game, this is how motion controls should be handled.

Anything more "precise" would most likely be detrimental to the good of the experience.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Also you guys can always change the settings to Pro, probably more suitable for people who play too many videogames.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Honestly, I don't even know LOL

I thought it was to do with look sensitivity and item interface but \o__o./

John2k4

The End of an Era
I've had mine on the mini setting, or whatever it is...I think Pro just hides everything. :drshrug:

kupo15

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure its just a visual thing. It would have been nice for Nintendo to include a sensitivity setting. The high sensitivity was great while it lasted. sigh

Dyclone

Smash Ace
Is this game very bright because I'm kind of sensitive to light.

New game play mechanic in Skyward Sword. You guys didn't hear?

Link must now pee 3 times a day and poop once a day to keep his clothes from degrading. If his clothes "degrade" too much as a result of soiling himself, you lose the ability to interact with other characters... as soon as they smell you, they run.
I... must... sig... this...

cloneofshadow

Smash Cadet
eh, it works, it's just not ideal and being billed as "1:1" was blatantly false advertising. the WM+ might be capable of it, but the sword doesn't control that way
It would be nearly impossible for Nintendo to do 1:1 motion with the Sword Attacks themselves due to all the extra coding they would have to do and the fact that people would simply waggle thier way through the game like Jimmy Fallon.

I would say the controls work perfectly 100% but they sure aren't broken. They work in the 95% range for me.

D

Deleted member

So what do people think of Ghirahim?

And it's nice to hear that people love this game. Perhaps this will be the first Zelda game I buy not from the VC.

cloneofshadow

Smash Cadet
I also highly recommend that you don't rush through the game. Most of the fun I've had came from doing NPC Sidequest Minigames and Upgrading my gear.

I'm just about to go to the 3rd area after beating the Earth Temple.

cloneofshadow

Smash Cadet
So what do people think of Ghirahim?

And it's nice to hear that people love this game. Perhaps this will be the first Zelda game I buy not from the VC.
I would by the game just for the Ghirahim Dialogue

"No I won't kill you,i'll just beat you to within an inch of your life"

It's pronounced Gear-a-heem but I say Gear-a-him

Top Bottom