• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Midwest Massacre" Tournament

Seven11

Smash Cadet
right...

i dunno about all these challenges, but if the "space animals" thing means anyone from the Star Fox team, then good ole' Fox McCloud is gonna show Peach what it's all about. count me in for that one.

S

SUPERSAYIN

It doesnt look like you guys are to bummed about the loss of the sweet lounge spot, which is totally sweet, you guys are troopers, you guys are the best ;). . . friggen sike on that smiley.

superpichu

Smash Journeyman
It's looking bleak, but if I come:

Iggy, we should play before the tourney. I also need some practice against different Peachs.

StarWars, 4 stock 8 minutes sounds good. I'd like to do this before the tournament as well.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
i have a fellin peops gonna b suprised how i look,but regardless
im up for some warmup matches b4 the tourny,otherwise ill do
much better or worse,i tend to play better if i dont play rather
than fight against peops who arent good,but if u guys are
good,andi think u r,then im up for warming up

S

SUPERSAYIN

smasher1001, we dont judge buddy, mmhmm not in michigan, no way.

S

SUPERSAYIN

No you misunderstood bro, you said you thought peopel might be surprised by the way you look, I was saying were not judgers (thats not a real word is it)

Seven11

Smash Cadet
Off-Topic...

Main Entry: 1judge
transitive senses
1 : to form an opinion about through careful weighing of evidence and testing of premises
2 : to form an estimate or evaluation of; especially : to form a negative opinion about
Inflected Form(s): judged; judg·ing; judg·er (noun)

Yep, it's a word. :D

jv3x3

Smash Champion
Originally posted by Star Wars 13
So, is there anyway that me and someone else can stay at someone's house the day before, or of the tournament?
Possible, just 2 of you?

Melo Man

Smash Rookie
Uh... I'm kinda new here on Smashboards, but I just wanted to know what do I have to do to come to your tourney? Don't have much time otherwise I'd read through the pages, but if you could, can you give me a rundown of the rules/location/time/etc.? Thanks in advance. :)

S

SUPERSAYIN

Thats all on the very first post on the very first page Melo Man, the locationf is coming soon to i swear.

S

SUPERSAYIN

I finally got an official location for the tournament, the funny thing is its at the banquet room of the partment complex the tournament was originally supposed to be at. Anywas I will put the address and stuff int eh first post.

Im going to have to raise the entree fee up to $7 dollars for the singles tournament and $12 dollars for the team tournament ($6 bucks a piece), the cost of the room is only $100 bucks so whatever is left over will go into the winners pot.

The room is not as sweet as the one at OU but it is definetly lounge compatable and will be pretty sweet, another thing is we have top wait untilo 4:00 o clock to start the tournament because we have to wait for the office to close, but we can go to my freinds apartment and get some pregame matches going then just move over to the hall when it starts I figure well start pregame stuff at like 2:00.

Keefer_Blunt

Smash Apprentice
You should probably take me off the possible list and dump me. I am moving into an apartment in the next couple weeks and wont have time to tweak my sheiking because as of late I havent had anyone to train with in the dayton area making me a non threat to most ohio smashers ive played recently this is still one long sentence. Ill be back soon. Go Ohio

Keefer_Blunt

D

Deleted member

Starting the tournament at 4:00 seems kind of late to start, but if it has to be done, I don't mind. How long do you expect this tournament to last? As for directions, www.mapquest.com is very good. You can get directions and maps. (I'm still a maybe by the way.)

Star Wars 13

Smash Apprentice
Starting at four is way to late. This being your first tournament, I understand how you think that is possible, but this will not end until at least twelve-thirty if you start it that late, and run it effectively.

Also, pretty much regardless of when it starts, is there a way that you could fit two Ohio smashers somewhere to stay the night?

Seven11

Smash Cadet
who cares?

4:00 can't be that bad. it's a weekend, it shouldn't matter to most of us. even if we started the tournament earlier and it got over at like 10, a lotta people would probably stay til after midnght sometime anyways (if it were allowed, of course). as for places to stay, i would offer to house some people at my apartment for the night, but I'm like 2 hours north of waterford, so for the Ohio guys it would probably be about the same drive just to get back down to the tournament and stuff.

x1372

Smash Ace
I think you're missing the point.

some people coming might be coming from CINCINNATI.

these people have a 4+ hour drive to get to this tournament.

Now, if you had to make this drive, twice in a day, would you prefer to have to do it the second time and have the whole thing after midnight?

honestly. I've been with V while we drove home from indiana and from miami university real late. it's not pretty, it's not fun, and its not a way to make people want to come to or enjoy your tournament. assuming between 16 and 32 people come to this, and that you do both a singles and a doubles set, you're looking at about 2-3 hours for doubles (assuming you have at least 5 TVs) and 4-7 hours for singles, assuming the average amount of people playing fun matches and such between tourney matches.

the BEST you can hope for, assuming you don't drop the doubles tourney for time constraints, is a 6 hour tourney, and thats NOT taking into account how long it takes to adequately set fair brackets up. If you start at 4, you are VERY unlikely to be finished by 11. Start earlier, give yourself more time, and let people from the southern portion of the state have enough time to get home that they've only wasted one day coming to this thing instead of two.

jv3x3

Smash Champion
yeah i understand where everyone is coming from on the 4 thing.... but it was the best he could find at a reasonable price.

However, I and hopefully others will provide a place for people 2 crash that night. So really if you are driving awhile you will get a chance to sleep in much more than you would have otherwise, enjoy the tourney, and get to sleep/smash that night. So really when you think about it it is not half bad.

Also, I will be running the actual tournament (have ran many b4)and we should have ample setups. That being such the actual tournament will run as smoothly as possible.

So, i would say i am about 90% i can offer about 6 people places to crash. Joshu/Iggy are coming pretty far, so they got dibs, and star wars already asked so as long as someone isnt coming too much further than him i would say him 2. Anyone else thats interested should speak up. Keep in mind though, the housing provided, since it will not be mine, will absolutely have to be respected..... im not playing on this.

superpichu

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, 4 is too late for a 1-day tourney for me. I would normally not consider going to this tourney anymore, but since I get the feeling that this will be a large tourney, and since that Saturday is part of Thanksgiving break in which I will have more time to spare, I might be able to come to it as a 2-day tourney.

S

SUPERSAYIN

I ainticipated this being a problem, thats the earliest that place was available, and it was a pretty sweet deal except for that starting at 4 thing, so i siad to myself "Adam (thats my real name) you might as well get this thing rollin so the guys dont think your slackin". . . and this I did. HOWEVER, I am a master of being the **** so I continued the search, and I have a delicious lead on a sweet banquet hall we can have all day for half off cause ive got connections (mob ties). SO, in risk of everyone getting peezed off at me cause im jerking you guys around with the location, I have risked releasing this information in order to save the Massacre, what has to be done has to be done.

x1372

Smash Ace
yeah, I would continue looking around...

after all, having to wait till four and paying 100 bucks is a little much. you can probably find a place that will let you start earlier for cheaper if you look.

and if its earlier, V will be more likely to come, therefore I will be more likely to come. And that means you guys CERTAINLY are giving your singles cash to ohio.

also, how is everything going to work out with the pot, if the 100 bucks is taken out? will it be 50 from singles 50 from doubles, or based on percentages of money in each, or what?

...ya know, for a midwest tourney, this thread has gone to the bottom of the page much faster than they usually do... that's not a good sign this close to the tourney.

S

SUPERSAYIN

the extra $2 dollars from each entree fee will go towards the rent, anything left over will be split up and put into the winners pot for first prize.

x1372

Smash Ace
well the thing is...

1) the time is a deterrant for people coming. Especially out-of-staters, even more so for those farther away (like Cincinnati).

2) You're assuming you have at least a turnout of 50. coupled with the previous statement, and the fact that the last singles tourney in the midwest to make those numbers was snexus 2 (in July)... it doesn't look likely that the math will work out.

3) higher price and lower potential gains FURTHER decrease the incentive for people to come. Assuming V and I came, we'd likely have collective expenses of at least 40 dollars for food and gas (not to mention a lot more if we end up needing to find a place to stay for the night). Assuming only 20 other people show (which is indeed possible, a fair number of tourney "definites" drop out from most tournaments) AND that we take home all the prize money, we break even.

ah well. in any event, if you can find a better place go for it. the place you're looking into seems awfully expensive and limiting.

S

SUPERSAYIN

If you think $100 bucks is expensive to rent a hall for a day then. . . then, then I dont know, but thats friggen cheap compared to all the places I have been looking at, but like I said bro I got my sights on a totally sweet place already that I can get for half price I should know if its a go by tomorrow or tuesday.

If the extra money doesnt cover the cost of rent than I planned on paying that out of my own pocket, besides I dont think anyone is sweating an extra $3 bucks no matter how far they are coming from.

Seven11

Smash Cadet
yep

supersayin, just do what ya gotta do, man, if you build it they will come...
and on another note, if anybody on here would wanna come up to around bay city this saturday (november 22nd), I'm holding a (smaller) team-only tournament up here that day. theres a little website for it explaining the details and location with maps and the like, so please check it out if interested. there's also virtua fighter 4 evolution and soul calibur 2 tournaments same day. the web address is http://www.pintucky.drive.to

FierceMelee019

Smash Cadet
sry, that Pintucky Derby is a bit too far for my crew, wont be able to make it that day.

and why is it bob-ombs are the ONLY items available?! Seems to me it should be the other way around...

Melo Man

Smash Rookie
Whoa, x1372 is on Smashboards as well... what a small world. But anyway, me coming from Detroit, I don't have a problem with anything you listed except the time. If you plan to do it at 4:00pm that day, do you think it could at least end by 11pm or midnight? I noticed 4 stock matches best 2/3. How about 3 stock best 2/3? The more challenge (but swifter) the tourney is, the better I think people's morale will stay up. I appreciate everything else you've done to get this thing going, so I'm only trying to help. Personally, I'd like it if preparations started around noon and the tourney started around 2pm, but that's just me.

Also, I just wanted to put my name down and at least 3 other people I know:

Melo Man
DJ
Hayz
Dark

S

SUPERSAYIN

Yeah , im trying to get this new spot and we will be able to start whenever, but as for the 4 stock thing I think thats the way most people like it including myself, it gives you a good chance to make a comeback.

As for the bob-bombs being the only itmes available, i dont know what thats about, that and tomatoes and hearts are excluded.

Seven11

Smash Cadet
whoops

Originally posted by SUPERSAYIN

As for the bob-bombs being the only itmes available, i dont know what thats about, that and tomatoes and hearts are excluded.
don't worry about that, he was talking about my thing.

the way i figured it, bob-ombs have a very basic weight, they have no odd effects (life gaining / draining, paralyzation, etc.), and, depending on the percent, they will do fair damage or could be lethal. truthfully, i don't see why they're outlawed, if anybody could explain that one for me it would be appreciated. :)

S

SUPERSAYIN

I think people are concerned with them randomly spawning on top of you and KOing you when your kicking ***.

Melo Man

Smash Rookie
Fine with me, no big deal. BTW, how many people are you expecting? 40/50/? Also, there's pretty much no chance of entering both the singles and doubles tournies, huh?

jv3x3

Smash Champion
Originally posted by Melo Man
Fine with me, no big deal. BTW, how many people are you expecting? 40/50/? Also, there's pretty much no chance of entering both the singles and doubles tournies, huh?
They are at different times, so vast majority of people will be playin singles and doubles.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
:) noticed this was near the bottom of the page,anyhoo i played
1 of the guys going to the tourny who live near me,he's
good,either way im still coming,how is every1 gettin rdy for the
tourny?training against humans,comps,making combos?im jus curious

S

SUPERSAYIN

Well I dont know baout everyone else, but I find i train best when Im on a strict regiment of destroying everyone I play.

x1372

Smash Ace
Geez supersayin, what are you THINKING??

you don't want to destroy every opponent before a tourney! that makes them refuse to put money into the pot to give to the better players! you're supposed to let them keep their delusion that they're good until AFTER they've paid their money.

come to think of it, that probably was the biggest problem with mow's tourney - there were about 30 people there for the free for all crapset, but when it came to playin the real tourney for money we only had 11 people enter.

learn from that mistake! let all the locals think they're tough **** until they've paid and the tourney's started!

Top Bottom