• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new Quebec PR! Updated 2011 March 18

swordgard

Smash Hero
needs update :p
Me and holy discussed about it.

There won't be anymore update to this PR, we are going 100% elo rating PR. No drama, no johns.

Now I just need to start finding ways to automate this process otherwise this is gonna take me forever. I can't give any ETA, I was counting on zac tbh to give me his program but he seems to not be putting time into it anymore, so I gotta build my own software or excel sheet or access database. I dunnow for now what Il do, thinking about it.

swordgard

Smash Hero
getherdone soon lol. Can't wait to see it.

Also, I read this: http://www.smashboards.com/announcement.php?f=124&a=72

Look at rule #5 and tell me what you plan to do about it =/
A) The elo rankings will be up whenever I figure a good way to implement it. Its much more complicated than most people would expect, I essentially need to make every single set accounted for with a weighted K factor. This may take upwards of 1 month, I have no idea how I am going to do this yet, and theres no we are continuing with the old method. Its just too much guessing, this method is 100% based on results. No panelists, results only, final destination elo rankings.

B) I read that thread, I don't care if our power rankings are unofficial by SWF standards. If it comes down to it, I probably could just ask some mods for special permission by explaining them the situation. I don't plan to do anything about it, people have shown over and over that they have trouble not to stay unbiased. To be a good panelist, you need to have a good understanding of the level of most players, all the while letting personal bias aside from matches played against this person and only judging by tournament performances. I have been shown by pretty much everyone on the current PR at one time or another that they are unable to stay unbiased. The only person who could be a good panelist really is ally, but he did not want to be a part of it. He has nothing to gain from the PR, which makes him a fantastic choice, but he declined.

nvm

Smash Apprentice
The "southern" part in the thread name tends to make place for a "Northern" PR. Should be Ontario only. Only one Pr per "state"

Tin Man

Smash Hero
The "southern" part in the thread name tends to make place for a "Northern" PR. Should be Ontario only. Only one Pr per "state"
Good point. California has a southern and northern PR. New York has a New York City and new York State PR :p. So w/e i guess lol. Besides i guess Northern Ontario doesn't really have a PR anymore :(.

Gichan

Smash Champion
Good point NVM, but the fact is it really is only Southern Ontario that is active and partakes within our tournies. If came the case that Northern Ontario stepped it up I'll gladly change the title of the PR, Michelle wouldn't mind editing the banner either.

It's just simply the case at the moment.

nvm

Smash Apprentice
Well my region is considered another region from mtl and the surroundings yet I'm not gonna make a "Southern Quebec PR". I consider myself a Quebec player and all of you guys should consider yourself as Ontarian players. imo the Ontarian Brawl community isn't big enough to split it in 2 differents PR.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Well my region is considered another region from mtl and the surroundings yet I'm not gonna make a "Southern Quebec PR". I consider myself a Quebec player and all of you guys should consider yourself as Ontarian players. imo the Ontarian Brawl community isn't big enough to split it in 2 differents PR.
Think about geography, not player concentration. Most of Ottawa doesn't come to our tourneys and we rarely go to theirs. I only know of buenob who will come to GTA tourneys and I haven't seen him in ages. Making a unified PR for players who rarely/never play in the same tourneys just isn't realistic; think of the difficulty of deciding on a panel and then getting them to agree on rankings with no empirical data linking the two groups.

jpak

Smash Lord
swordgard do you play league of legends?
if so, add me my username is jpak

swordgard

Smash Hero
I just finished doing the elo ratings for the first pool after finally finding a way to do this efficiently, took me about an hour. Make that 3 hours for pools extra 1 hour for bracket. I should be done before december 10th at worst.

swordgard

Smash Hero
I know where this is coming from and the elo system has been around a lot longer than league of legends :p. Decades longer in fact.
Truedat.

2 pools done so far.

I have more points than ally so far due to me having more players in my pool :D.

Il Q.Q when I get to the bracket though.

nvm

Smash Apprentice
Where's my interview Swordgard? If Tin Man got one, I deserve one too !

swordgard

Smash Hero
Well this is pissing me off.

Excel is currently frozen, all the elo ratings were just done -.-. I hope it unfreezes O.o

edit: Recovered 3/4 of this.

swordgard

Smash Hero
I don't know how to adapt this system for double elim apparently -.-
I got a few odd results, mainly due to KingKong beating stroumbert. Holy ending up same score as me is another one. Hmm, going to have to find a way to fix this.

Top Bottom