• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official OMG Tonight Prediction Thread

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
Dude, the stage shoots a laser at you. How is that possibly going to be tourney legal. Dont get your panties in a bunch.
Tournament players should just learn to turn that luck in their favor and force their opponents into the beam, instead of getting pissed off that they suck and get thrown into it and yelling for it to be tournament banned.

I still stand by my statement that some of the best fun in Melee was Peach's Castle and fiercely struggling with your opponent to throw each other into the Bullet Bill before it explodes. It's what makes Smash such an excellent party game.

The Bino

Smash Lord
Dude, the stage shoots a laser at you. How is that possibly going to be tourney legal. Dont get your panties in a bunch.
Really wow it shoots a laser at me huh, interesting, well ill revert back to Melee and state that Corneria had a laser that shot periodically, and even had ships that shot at me as well.... hhhmmmm even though i said don't compare the 2 Corneria was a counterpick and still is, so how bout think next time buddy

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If they added an obsticle on every stage, would they ALL be banned?

Why don't ppl like you stop trying to figure out what is going to be banned from tourney's and what is going to be playable at tourney's

Once there is something that seems wrong or indifferent from Melee you guys automatically jump to the conclusion that its banned from tournaments

Little info for you - This is Brawl, not Melee, don't compare the 2, this game will be different from Melee, as well as the tournament scene will be different, stop trying to make assumptions for tournaments for Brawl when we haven't played the game yet, so we don't know how it plays out
We're just judging from what could possibly be a variable in the game that can determin the outcome of a match. Last time I checked, stages of these caliber were banned from tournaments (Or made counter pick legal only). Unknown variables such as projectiles often interupt the game and can be considered game breaking.

That whole "This is Brawl, not Melee" is ridiculous. The game is from the same series, Brawl can only be so diffirent from its predecessor. Variables will always be a problem in the game despite the franchise evolution.

It's not a matter of assumption, it's plain common sense.

Shuma

Smash Hero
I can imagine Sakurai doing it, since IIRC only the Battlefield is obstacle free.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
Really wow it shoots a laser at me huh, interesting, well ill revert back to Melee and state that Corneria had a laser that shot periodically, and even had ships that shot at me as well.... hhhmmmm even though i said don't compare the 2 Corneria was a counterpick and still is, so how bout think next time buddy
The corneria laser was out of the way of the fight and you would have to be very unlucky/not very good to get hit by it. This one cuts thru the middle of the friggin stage. You can't compare the two.

hmm ah ooh huh, I can talk like this too, hmm what you think about that buddy hmmm

Shuma

Smash Hero
What if all stages have obstacles, would the tourney players stop playing it? Or would they adapt to Brawl's fighthing style?

The Bino

Smash Lord
We're just judging from what could possibly be a variable in the game that can determin the outcome of a match. Last time I checked, stages of these caliber were banned from tournaments (Or made counter pick legal only). Unknown variables such as projectiles often interupt the game and can be considered game breaking.

That whole "This is Brawl, not Melee" is ridiculous. The game is from the same series, Brawl can only be so diffirent from its predecesor. Variables will always be a problem in the game despite the franchise evolution.

It's not a matter of assumption, it's plain common sense.
There is no common sense when a game hasn't been released and tested by the public to decide on something yet, everything that we think as of right now is all assumptions, and not common sense

"This stage will be banned because it shoots a laser" is just stupid to even bring up, because there were and are a good amount of stages that technically interferred with the matches but that stage still remained to be in tournaments if selected

Xaron Fisk

Smash Journeyman
Thank you 8-Bit. still, who knows at this point. stop with the noobish "banned" comments within seconds of seeing a stage.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
Everything depends on how it will affect gameplay. The characters determine how gameplay will feel and if that laser does seem to get in the way too much then I guess it just won't be a neutral stage but, it could still be a counter-pick. (btw Corneria in SSBM had Arwings and Wolfen ships shooting at the stage on occasion)

Xaron Fisk

Smash Journeyman
Anyway...samus is doing somehting interesting in the second screen. Have we seen that move before? I guess it's her uair.

There is no common sense when a game hasn't been released and tested by the public to decide on something yet, everything that we think as of right now is all assumptions, and not common sense

"This stage will be banned because it shoots a laser" is just stupid to even bring up, because there were and are a good amount of stages that technically interferred with the matches but that stage still remained to be in tournaments if selected

Perhaps you don't understand. This assuption was made because of the Melee to Brawl relation. The stage has Lasers, Missles and it can strike you with giant mechanical arms. If anything, it could be a counterpick stage.

The Bino

Smash Lord
The corneria laser was out of the way of the fight and you would have to be very unlucky/not very good to get hit by it. This one cuts thru the middle of the friggin stage. You can't compare the two.

hmm ah ooh huh, I can talk like this too, hmm what you think about that buddy hmmm

OK ill give you one thing - on Corneria it shoots at you when you are trying to recover, but like you said you would have to be unlucky, but also sometimes if you just got hit with a spike and you only had like 20% you could've easily made it back, but the laser hit you and you died, so does that seem far, no i don't think so

Birdo comes out and shoots eggs at you too and that is a counterpick stage

Peach's Castle has a huge Bullet Bill shoot at the stage and takes up a massive amount of space when compared to that small stage, yet that's Counterpickable

There are different stages that were turned on to counterpick for reasons like these, there are the 6 Random stages because they are completely neutral and have absolutely no advantage towards a certain char over another

And yea trying to mimic me isn't going to upset me jackas$ because i actually think about certain things before i post, that's actually why you don't see me posting stuff like

Halberd = Banned in tournies like a dumb noob that ppl are

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
GUYS! DONT FORGET

ONLY 2 MORE UPDATES THAT SAKURAI COULD DO THAT WE ALREADY KNOW.

THAT MEANS....

ALL NEW UPDATES AFTER \o/ (Snake and Shadow Moses)
How do you figure? Sakurai still has a lot to post in regards to things we already have common knowledge of, and some things we know very little about:

Mario Circuit (we know only the half of it)
Lip's Stick (it was in a screenshot, but you know he will post an update on it)
Hammer Bro (he was in a screenshot, but Sakurai hasn't posted him yet, along with the Nintendog)

And don't forget about special moves. It's common knowledge that most of the moves we will see from the veterans will be relatively the same.

The Bino

Smash Lord
Perhaps you don't understand. This assuption was made because of the Melee to Brawl relation. The stage has Lasers, Missles and it can strike you with giant mechanical arms. If anything, it could be a counterpick stage.
I didn't know that it seemed as if i didn't understand, i was the one who stated that the stage wouldn't be banned from tourney's because it would fit in with a counterpick stage before i go and rant on that it should be banned, i actually think about what i'm talking about before i post unlike alot of ppl here in these forums

BuSHiDo

Smash Apprentice
I don't care what anybody says, I don't care to see any more stages that can kill you all on their own. My girlfriend, my friends, and I like to play Final D the most, sometimes Dream Land and Pokemon Stadium, but that's about it, and we use no items, only do 4 stock, etc. I know lots of other people like to plays lots of other ways, but all the serious players play this way, and all the hardcore fans that have been playing since the beginning prefer it this way. I'm not saying the other stuff isn't fun, but hardcore players like it this way for a reason, and I think it's not in Sakurai's best interest to forget about those fans and the reasons they enjoy the game so much.

I know I speak for plenty of people when I say that mostly people just wanted Melee again, with new characters, new stages, and new music. All the other stuff is great and fun and interesting, but most real players just wanted a simple updated Melee so to speak with more of what I mentioned.

I know there are a lot of updates to come, but I can't think of a reason he would hold back all the stuff that the serious players want for so long to reveal it later on for some reason.

I dunno, I just want to see Falcon, Ganondorf, YL or a replacement, another third party character or two, some others that nobody had any idea about, and at least one stage that is just big and flat with no death rays or collapsable floors, and of course the online feature, and I'll be happy.

0rion

Smash Journeyman
^ lmao @ shadenexus being banned. funny guy, he just didn't know when to stop I guess.
What did he do to get banned anyways? Does he rant and go on and on how he's "The Best" in all of Melee? I gotta say he plays furious but I seriously doubt dat he's da best in all of da world. I should know, he's my twin brotha!

Well, once again with this update Sakurai fails. I can't stress this enough. He hates us all for no reason.

0rion

Smash Journeyman
Hey, he had to do it eventually.

Dont blame Sakurai just because he wants to do things we know early so he can show us the new stuff earlier.
C'mon man, why would he first.....

1. Confirm crap that's already been confirmed. Honestly cuz, how pointless is this? It's redundant and it irritates da crap outta me! And I know u feel da same way deep down inside.

2. Makin 2 of da top tightest swordsmen assist trophies. (Samurai Goroh and Lyn) <-----He deserves to b burned at da stake for this!!

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
I don't care what anybody says, I don't care to see any more stages that can kill you all on their own. My girlfriend, my friends, and I like to play Final D the most, sometimes Dream Land and Pokemon Stadium, but that's about it, and we use no items, only do 4 stock, etc. I know lots of other people like to plays lots of other ways, but all the serious players play this way, and all the hardcore fans that have been playing since the beginning prefer it this way. I'm not saying the other stuff isn't fun, but hardcore players like it this way for a reason, and I think it's not in Sakurai's best interest to forget about those fans and the reasons they enjoy the game so much.

I know I speak for plenty of people when I say that mostly people just wanted Melee again, with new characters, new stages, and new music. All the other stuff is great and fun and interesting, but most real players just wanted a simple updated Melee so to speak with more of what I mentioned.

I know there are a lot of updates to come, but I can't think of a reason he would hold back all the stuff that the serious players want for so long to reveal it later on for some reason.

I dunno, I just want to see Falcon, Ganondorf, YL or a replacement, another third party character or two, some others that nobody had any idea about, and at least one stage that is just big and flat with no death rays or collapsable floors, and of course the online feature, and I'll be happy.
LOL!

This post is sig-worthy.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
No there won't. He will find another way to somehow disappoint us again for the third week in a row. I predict no character update this week or the next.

The next update will probably be THAT IS THE FINAL ROSTER! SUCK IT *****ES

smashknight91

Smash Cadet
Having melee again with just new characters, stages, etc would be a huge waste. Sakurai is trying to make this game not only appeal to fans of the series, but to everyone else.

Another thing, why is everyone dissing all the updates? I see nothing wrong with any of them, I mean its a dissapointment that Goroh and Lyn aren't playable characters, but at least they are in the game in some way. Theres some characters that I would love to see playable in the game, but if they are deconfirmed, then bog whoop. It isn't going to ruin the game for me. :ohwell:

Anyway, I have a feeling its going to be either a character, another how to play thing, or item.

Sinn

Smash Lord
My girlfriend, my friends, and I like to play Final D the most, sometimes Dream Land and Pokemon Stadium, but that's about it, and we use no items, only do 4 stock, etc. I know lots of other people like to plays lots of other ways, but all the serious players play this way, and all the hardcore fans that have been playing since the beginning prefer it this way.
I thought that was a fun oxymoron.

I don't disagree that turning off items gets rid of a large amount of the random chaotic elements that can completely throw a game one way or another, and some stages ARE much less conducive to actual fighting than the ones you listed. But given how amazing the Brawl stages look, I doubt I personally will be limiting myself to only a few. And no items? With the new Smash Ball? That's like telling your character to take their uber special and shove it. Plus I think items in general, aside from certain ones (in my opinion, specifically healing items and hammers), are meant to add depth and strategy more so than anything else.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
And then there are those darned Crates and Barrels...muhahaha!

Well, digging the Super Star love sakurai's doing with this one. Well... everything else he's done with Kirby's been KSS, so, why not add some more!

All I need is Lolo/Lala AT's, King Dedede playable, and maybe Dyna Blade as a boss, and I'd be a happy camper.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I am now 100% sure that we'll be getting another Subspace update this week to shed some light on the Halberd's involvement, after Sakurai's teasing last night. If not this week, early next week.

I'm thinking a Subspace update tonight and a profile to finish the week.

Sinn

Smash Lord
"...and that time period became known as the Great Profile Drought of September...back in my day we stayed up until three in the morning just to see an item update. And we were GRATEFUL, dammit!"

This leads me to wonder what the default music will be for the Halberd stage...

And Dynablade for a boss would be neat, but she kinda became a good guy. I think the Nightmare would make a killer boss though.

Top Bottom