• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smashboards Mentoring Program!

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Well hmm lets see

I don't really have a mentor to just teach you all the basics. What i recommend is going to the Brawl Tactical/Metaknight subforum and reading all about your character and what it is you can do with them. Then if you still feel you need a mentor then come back.

Caillou

Smash Rookie
I think you misunderstand me.

I don't mean basics like : ''How to play my character'', but information about tournaments, rules, counters, well some pro basic tips :p

Or maybe there is a thread about that?

Thanks

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
Yup there's generally threads about all that!

You can head to Tournament discussion, Online Tournament Listings (for online tournaments, obviously) and your regional zone (if you want offline tournaments) to learn more about tournaments and rules and stuff. Counters and pro tips will come in the character subforums!

soif

Smash Rookie
Right, I know all the basics and I'm familiar with pretty much all abbreviations. I'd like to learn either MK, Wario or perhaps Jigglypuff. It would be helpful if they lived in Europe and could play with me online somewhat regularly. Does anyone fit the bill?

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
Well here's the thing

Most mentors are only able to mentor in one (maybe two) characters, and to find a mentor that knows all three characters well enough would be hard to come by. Is there one character that you wish to learn more than the other? If you find you don't enjoy that character we can always switch :)

soif

Smash Rookie
I meant any one of those characters, not all of them. :) learning mk would be my first preference.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
I don't know how often they check this thread since protocol says that I pm them saying that they have a pupil. I think there are a few? Though not many because most people on this site are from teh states and the lag fromt he states to europe is generealyl pretty bad.

soif

Smash Rookie
Alright, I'm gonna go for Wario then. I'll just have mk as a secondary. I'll just check who the mentor is...

Edit: dynomite please. :)

Blissard

Smash Lord
Ha...I was gonna ask for a ZSS mentor, then i realized that there wasn't one. I need an Oli mentor as well, but I see that someone else also needs help with Oli. So if Hilt isn't busy, can you ask him to take me as his pupil, oh wise middle-person >.< ?

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Hello folks, just announcing that I am back from vacation and ready to resume mentoring duties!

Fuel, feel free to update me on your debating progress as well as what you would like to learn about NU format and/or what you goals are.

Also Mark Benford, you should change your name in the OP! :) (Still says Junglefever).

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
Yeah i can see what's up with that. I can see if i can find you a ZSS mentor as well.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
It's probably worth it. Honestly, I wouldn't feel comfortable mentoring UU, Ubers, or LC. NU and OU are my best tiers. It's beneficial to the pupils that we only teach tiers that we are confident and skilled at, and test frequently. And we can all teach general battle tactics (type balancing, common and good moves, where to find useful stats on smogon, typer of pokemon like sweepers and tanks, etc.)

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
That's a good idea. I dont know anything about pokemon and didnt even think to do that. so yeah, what tiers you feel comfortable mentoring in would be good.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Well it's good we have someone who specializes in middle cup, because I know next to nothing about that metagame. Although I have a few guesses as to which pokemon may be good.

Well that leaves LC and Ubers (unless Fuel specializes in one of those), but I doubt those will get too many requests. I'm guessing OU and UU will be the major ones.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Lo, as far as the pokemon talk, y'all should go to the Austin thread and see if you can poke Zigsta into mentoring. He's **** good at pokemon.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Well it's good we have someone who specializes in middle cup, because I know next to nothing about that metagame. Although I have a few guesses as to which pokemon may be good.

Well that leaves LC and Ubers (unless Fuel specializes in one of those), but I doubt those will get too many requests. I'm guessing OU and UU will be the major ones.
I have LC and Ubers teams, but I spend like 80% of my life in the OU section

I could give someone advice in those tiers, but you really can't expect anything from me

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I appreciate the nod, JoWii, but I really don't have time to mentor right now.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I have LC and Ubers teams, but I spend like 80% of my life in the OU section

I could give someone advice in those tiers, but you really can't expect anything from me
Yeah, same here (except for the 80% of time in OU). I mean, I know what pokemon are good in LC, like what the OU tier is, and some of the most used leads, but I'm no expert. Terywj probably knows more about LC than I do.

And I know which pokemon are good in Ubers and some basic strategies, but it's my worst tier.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
There's really no need since we have our own handful of competitive players who are active in the PokeCenter.

True dat. Just get someone that posts in the PC and then... something I guess

Yeah, same here (except for the 80% of time in OU). I mean, I know what pokemon are good in LC, like what the OU tier is, and some of the most used leads, but I'm no expert. Terywj probably knows more about LC than I do.

And I know which pokemon are good in Ubers and some basic strategies, but it's my worst tier.
Ha so you get me.

I'd also like to point out that considering my past mistakes and how I've learned from them, I can now help tutor someone and help them build a good team effectively.

(btw Tery, before you say why I actually still get help from Ulti, that's just mostly OU+ and some strategies these days coupled with me still having to memorize some sets :urg:)

Which reminds me, who are we appointing for OU+? It seems like M4F would be the best choice considering how well he knows the tier for anyone interested

And lol, people will actually want to learn Middle Cup?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Fuel_ said:
...for anyone interested.
Fuel_ said:
...people will actually want to learn Middle Cup?
You answered yourself. I never said people wanted to learn Middle Cup, I simply stated if there are people looking for a Middle Cup tutor, I'm available.
Most people venturing into the PokeCenter won't know about our projects and as such won't know about the OU+ metagame. Most newcomers don't jump right into the projects anyway so I doubt there's a need.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Yeah there's no reason to not even offer the option to pupils. I might even want to get tutored in that, but I'm gonna hold off for now.

HaiWayne

Smash Cadet
well, im still really new, and havent found the character i want to main in, i want to be mentored in general skills, like mistakes and general strategies i should be aware of

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Chances are you should try playing all the characters and watching vids of pro mains to figure out which character fits your playstyle. Then you can get a mentor in that character and they'd teach your the basics.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
well, im still really new, and havent found the character i want to main in, i want to be mentored in general skills, like mistakes and general strategies i should be aware of
So far, we are only offering services for specific characters. However, I'm seeing increasing amounts of requests similar to yours, so I might suggest to Mark Benford that we add a "General Tutor" of sorts. The best way to figure out general strategies is probably to go to the brawl tactical discussion and look through the stickied threads. You could also try and find some interviews and matches involving top players. Practicing is of course the most important thing, so joining tournaments is a good idea. And you can ask opponents after your matches what you could improve on. That's the best I can offer for now, until we get a general tutor.

EDIT: This could be helpful.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Hrmmm... personally, I really happen to hate those character guides.

That's mostly because I have absolutely no idea how to actually apply any of that in game and I have no idea what they're talking about in there even IF I get a dictionary for Smash lingo

Top Bottom