• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
To be completely honest, if you think Erdrick is not happening, but still feel that Steve is a lock because of “leaks”, I find that especially hypocritical.

If I remember correctly; Verg wasn’t the only person who suggested there was a Square character. There are plenty of people who know things and don’t say it until they have concrete information.

Don’t discount Erdrick just because Verg was wrong. He’s still got a plenty good shot. Don’t forget the connection with the file name itself.

D

Deleted member

About FETH...

It looks like it is heading to the Renaissance times. After the Medieval times that FE used so much.

I guarantee people are going to joke that "The protagonists with the blue hair are guaranteed for Smas ahahhuu!".

D

Deleted member

To be completely honest, if you think Erdrick is not happening, but still feel that Steve is a lock because of “leaks”, I find that especially hypocritical.

If I remember correctly; Verg wasn’t the only person who suggested there was a Square character. There are plenty of people who know things and don’t say it until they have concrete information.

Don’t discount Erdrick just because Verg was wrong. He’s still got a plenty good shot. Don’t forget the connection with the file name itself.
Brave could honestly correlate to many different characters though.

Today was a huge blow to Verge, and Erdrick speculation as a whole. Nintendo went in hard with DQ announcements today, Erdrick being absent is definitely interesting.

Nothing is set in stone, but today didn't help the theory at all, that's for sure. Also, I don't think anyone's seriously treating Steve as a lock. I don't know where you're seeing that.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Just got this baby.

bab tooth.jpg

Now I just need the Light Fury.

**** yeah, i'm so ready for The Hidden World.

No i'm not.

I'm gonna cry like a *****.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Imo, I don't feel Steve is a lock at all, just that he'd be likely if we get a Western character, especially since Microsoft continues to get chummy with Nintendo.

However we may also get Banjo-Kazooie, as from what I've read IndieGamerChick (a leaker) might be correct, and Rare is supposedly not saying anything about Smash when asked even though they used to (I'd also bring up theories I've seen, but...they're just theories).

I feel Erdrick is still likely because of how well Brave correlates to him...but if you see Jack as being a Jack Frost reference, who's to say it isn't the reverse here and Brave is a reference to Slime? :troll:

also I want Steve/a Creeper and B-K.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't know how much you guys care about this, but the TMNT and Batman crossover is getting an animated movie adaptation.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
The one thing I REALLY wanted for this game was more alts. Like I'd definitely pay 99 cents or even $1.99 for some new costumes.
It doesn't even have to be new models or anything, I'd be happy with just a texture change.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

At this point we don't know what to predict given no DQ character revealed in this direct.

Can't even make a prediction this time.

D

Deleted member

Realtalk, a lot of those different characters it "could" correlate to is based on half-assed bull**** reasoning.

The very fact I could claim it's Braviary and no one can say jack about it despite the reasoning being just as half-assed is telling.

D

Deleted member

The one thing I REALLY wanted for this game was more alts. Like I'd definitely pay 99 cents or even $1.99 for some new costumes.
It doesn't even have to be new models or anything, I'd be happy with just a texture change.
I just want good alts for :ultwario:.

Please bring back the black and white Wario, Sakurai; I would happily pay money to have that color back.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Alt costume DLC is high on my list of things I want to see as DLC. Doubt it will happen as they probably don’t want to get the Wario/Mac issue again but it would still be awesome. I have a long list of dlc alts I’d like to see.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Let's put all points for Agumon together:

- Digimon Survive on the Switch in 2019
- Digimon Adventure 20 Aniversary
- Digimon Survive needs more info, we don't have any for about 6 months now
- Brave = It's his crest
- Stats are good for him
- Digimon Staff said they have "Big News" for the next months, but they can't show it yet
- Next Digimon Big event happens near E3 2019

Forgot something?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Steve was always likely on his own merits. Some might treat him as a lock, yes, but fact of the matter is, he didn't need to be leaked to be treated as a major contender for DLC. He's a gaming icon. That alone already gave him merit. Many also took him as a possibility for base roster for the same reason. He got spoken of as a possibility well before Verge too, even for Smash 4 DLC.

Erdrick required the leaks to get this much attention due to not being an obvious choice by any means. He's obscure in the West, and overly popular in Japan. And has to go against other possible Heroes and Slime as well. They weren't in the same situation at any point bar the fact they both got leaked by the same person.

Just a penguin

Smash Master
Hot take: No.

Imagine mobile game microtransaction hell as off a cliff. I don't care how good Nintendo implements small-term payments. I do not want it to step closer toward the cliff. I want it to run away from the cliff as soon as possible.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Random question but how would y'all feel if these were the final four?

-Banjo-Kazooie
-Doomslayer
-Sephiroth
-Phoenix Wright

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Realtalk, a lot of those different characters it "could" correlate to is based on half-***** bull**** reasoning.

The very fact I could claim it's Braviary and no one can say jack about it despite the reasoning being just as half-***** is telling.
The reasoning for Erdrick is also pretty half-baked when Verge and other insiders were the only things used to back it up besides the translation thing, and they all got dunked on today besides Mario Maker 2 predictions (which the original Direct leaker already mentioned before them).

No one is a lock for Brave right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Hot take: No.

Imagine mobile game microtransaction hell as off a cliff. I don't care how good Nintendo implements small-term payments. I do not want it to step closer toward the cliff. I want it to run away from the cliff as soon as possible.
I see your point, but the reason I'm okay with something like this and any cosmetic DLC in general is that you aren't really missing out on anything if you don't purchase. It's just a color change. It's why overwatch's lootboxes don't really bother me

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Let's put all points for Agumon together:

- Digimon Survive on the Switch in 2019
- Digimon Adventure 20 Aniversary
- Digimon Survive needs more info, we don't have any for about 6 months now
- Brave = It's his crest
- Stats are good for him
- Digimon Staff said they have "Big News" for the next months, but they can't show it yet
- Next Digimon Big event happens near E3 2019

Forgot something?
my man is still out here thinking a digimon will be in smash brothers

salute, dude

Polan

Smash Lord
Yes, that's why I said it was possible for an announcement to take place in the future. But how substantial will that news be when everything was just announced? Do they have another game they can announce, or something else major? Inkling was announced alongside Splatoon 2 v3.0 and Octo Expansion, while Isabelle was announced alongside the long-awaited return of Animal Crossing. A big port for DQ11 and its Minecraft-inspired cousin would've been the perfect context to announce Erdrick.

And even if Erdrick wouldn't be ready yet (especially since all we have for Joker is a model right now), neither of those games will be released until July or later. The announcements could've been postponed to fit the development timeline for a new Smash character after Joker.

As far as I'm aware (and there could very likely be information I missed and am not aware of, so if there is, then I am error), the only "ingame evidence" is the "Brave" codename that was datamined, which is so broad as to mean anything. Apparently the term is fairly relevant to Erdrick, so it's possible, but the assumption that it can't be anything else is where I scratch my head. NetherRealm Studios codenamed one of its characters "Shaggy" back in Injustice 2 to throw off dataminers, when in reality we were getting the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, so Brave could easily be a red herring for literally any other character in existence.

All the other evidence (social media posts mostly), in hindsight, was clearly just about the Dragon Quest announcements from today. But because Smash is out and DLC characters are on the way, every single news or hint is automatically assumed to be about Smash, despite there being an entire rest of the industry that's still alive. The way I see it, there's no more evidence for Erdrick than there was Isaac.

As for these "insiders," they were all out in force last year during the buildup to Ultimate, making all these different claims, and only one or two of them actually had legitimate information. And that was during the massive-scale development of the whole retail game, with way more people involved across multiple companies. Now we're in a much smaller-scale stage of single-character development that can be handled more discreetly, and I'm supposed to believe any of these chuckleheads have access to correct information now? I doubt it.
sakurai and his team march by their own tempo. i seriously don't understand why this fanbase is so ****ing hyperfocused on characters being revealed at a specific time and when that doesn't happen inmediately scream "I'Ts NoT HaPpEnIng". like this **** happened all the time with Smash 4 yet it seems no one has learned the lesson that characters are revealed when they are ready to be revealed. and brave is a vague codename. the only reason why we suspect that it's erdrick is because rumors. and those insiders who you call chuckleheads wound up being right multiple. sure feel free to ignore them but don't come whining when they wind up being right yet again.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Today was a huge blow to Verge, and Erdrick speculation as a whole. Nintendo went in hard with DQ announcements today, Erdrick being absent is definitely interesting.

Nothing is set in stone, but today didn't help the theory at all, that's for sure. Also, I don't think anyone's seriously treating Steve as a lock. I don't know where you're seeing that.
If you ask me, there’s no reason to find the Erdrick absence surprising.

They set us up to get an upcoming Smash Direct to reveal more there. The focus here was obviously games that were “not Smash”, and the scheduling of the Direct really wouldn’t have made any sense to say, “Hey, Smash 3.0 is coming, here’s Erdrick” after briefly showing Joker. It also wouldn’t have made sense to show Erdrick after a segment on Dragon Quest XI, mainly because that’s a 3rd party title you’d be overshadowing as well with Smash.

Sure, it was hyped up. But this is a Smash website. We always put things out of context and place it into the immediate context of Smash. In the last week, there was an assumption that Shantae or Edelgard we’re locks because of a VA, there was consistent belief for a decent amount of time that Doomguy and Steve were locks, among other things.

Definitely, one way or the other, the Smash community has to chill out just a tad. Chances are we’re going to get a Smash Direct, and that’s where we’ll get more. There isn’t as much of a focus on the game anymore, so we can’t always go in expecting big news. This Direct was proof of that.

D

Deleted member

I feel like our next character will be revealed when the Smash Direct hits.

D

Deleted member

Ok let's just get it out of the way now who's on team March Smash Direct and who's on team E3 Smash Direct

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If the final four were Banjo, Doomslayer, Sephiroth and Phoenix Wright. I'd definitely be satisfied. Its got three characters I want with a 3rd party villain whose as iconic as Bowser and Eggman to boot. Who could complain with that? :grin:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As a person who wants Steve, I think everyone overestimates their chances. There is a lot of competition for the newcomer, and Joker was not a gaming icon. Reggie even said something like "The unexpected are coming." Piranha Plant and Joker were quite unexpected. Plus I feel like Steve does not completely destroy Banjo's chances.

Still, Steve has a decent chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom