• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

Damage Points

Smash Ace
I never said he was bad until he came into this thread and insulted me. I actually stated one of my friends is like Ksizzle junior. If Ksizzle took that offensively then he must think he himself is bad. Again I was referring to my friend as having a similar play style and he got all tight and took it as an insult.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
I hate when bad players like KSIZZLE think they are good pressing one button an entire match. Good job at MLG bro!!!
lol yup. bad players definitely beat all these top players you dream of someday beating but never will.

and wow mlg, the first tourney where i did bad. actually all of the atlantic north did bad. just wasnt our day.

oh and definitely beating players like judge, anther, snakeee, etc with lucario, snake and iceys makes me a B mashing bad player LMAO. ignorant smashers are appearing more and more these days..hmm theyre all scrubs regardless LOL

and for the record i never got tight. i said i hate when bad players mention my name so stop it. the salty one is you. XD

malcolm, who is this loser? lol

@phantomX: ive gone to 2 events this year. i just go to an event randomly.

also wana point something out. ally uses the b button more than me. so does candy. adn razer. mew2king is starting to as well. are they all good players?

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
Idk who he is, but you also don't have to be so mean to him. D:

He's a friend of Keith's so I'm assuming he's a cool dude. Both of you took offense to being called bad players, which really isn't that big of a deal. Kelvin you know you aren't a bad player as you've played the alleged "good" ones. Damage, Kelvin has no idea of your skill level (and neither do I) so he has no right to call you a bad player, but it would seem in this instance to avoid a constant dispute you will have to find another term for the type of play you are describing when you say "Ksizzle junior".

Wario boards so lame. Let's talk about beating DDD...oh wait...you guys don't ever have to play that MU

Damage Points

Smash Ace
Ksizzle I didn't mean to offend you. Just stating my boy who I've called the best MK in our state has a similar play style to you. It's all good again sorry if I pissed you off.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Can't beat a competent DDD, 40-60 is nothing short of a myth. Even if you manage to win the first match, DDD should always beat you on his CP, while he actually stands a fair chance against whatever CP you manage to throw at him.

'But Wario has Bite.'
'But Wario has combos.'
'But Wario can time DDD out.'

But DDD just completely ***** Wario. He can wall in any situation, does not have too much trouble with stage control, can avoid any disadvantageous situation by simply rolling away, does not have to approach, should be able to turn every single grab he gets in either of these things:

- Kill
- Gimp
- Minimum of 30% damage + Wario on the ledge

At lower percentages, Wario cannot properly use nair, DDD can DI it downwards without fearing silly followups. Wario loses a fine move which he would otherwise utilize as a borderline broken damage racker. Wario limits himself to pretty much dair as a setup for other moves, he shouldn't be able to get uairs unless DDD messes up badly (way to get hit by uair when just shieldcamping DDD...).

Wario's advantage is Bite. The following situation is what happens if you commit to Bite too often:

- DDD baits Bite
- You Bite
- DDD rolls
- You eat a grab

Oh yeah, Wario's other advantage is running the clock. This is really the only thing Wario can do in this matchup, though it only really works if you manage to get an early lead. Imo this matchup is 50-50 so long as Wario has a lead, I may elaborate some other time I'm suddenly no longer motivated to write (perhaps my boredom is passing away).

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Can't beat a competent DDD, 40-60 is nothing short of a myth. Even if you manage to win the first match, DDD should always beat you on his CP, while he actually stands a fair chance against whatever CP you manage to throw at him.

'But Wario has Bite.'
'But Wario has combos.'
'But Wario can time DDD out.'

But DDD just completely ***** Wario. He can wall in any situation, does not have too much trouble with stage control, can avoid any disadvantageous situation by simply rolling away, does not have to approach, should be able to turn every single grab he gets in either of these things:

- Kill
- Gimp
- Minimum of 30% damage + Wario on the ledge

At lower percentages, Wario cannot properly use nair, DDD can DI it downwards without fearing silly followups. Wario loses a fine move which he would otherwise utilize as a borderline broken damage racker. Wario limits himself to pretty much dair as a setup for other moves, he shouldn't be able to get uairs unless DDD messes up badly (way to get hit by uair when just shieldcamping DDD...).

Wario's advantage is Bite. The following situation is what happens if you commit to Bite too often:

- DDD baits Bite
- You Bite
- DDD rolls
- You eat a grab

Oh yeah, Wario's other advantage is running the clock. This is really the only thing Wario can do in this matchup, though it only really works if you manage to get an early lead. Imo this matchup is 50-50 so long as Wario has a lead, I may elaborate some other time I'm suddenly no longer motivated to write (perhaps my boredom is passing away).
If you can't make a d3 approach then you're doing it wrong. The match up takes a lot of patience for the Wario. But it's definitely not impossible and it's not **** for d3 either LoL. Take your time with the match up.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Really, the only moves you should be using against D3 are Upair, FJ Dair, and retreating Fair until they're offstage, and bite until they catch on. Make love to the side of the stage. And, of course, waft every minute.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
If you've been poking him enough it will, otherwise it's good for damage, and you need all the damage you can get. The objective is to stay as safe as possible near the edge of the stage while racking up damage on him... and a minute waft is still like 35%

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Is the failed DACUS (you know, the shorter one) technically like Falco's gatling combo?

I'm trying to wonder if it could possibly have any use. I know usmash is typically seen as a bad move, but I picture to have a few situational uses, such as a follow up to dthrow.

Blue Rogue

Smash Ace
NNID
ValiantVyse
3DS FC
4527-9345-8740
i sometimes use that on shields at like 160+%s and hope they let shield down in between them for a desperate kill. It can be shieldgrabbed between though. Plus it's upsmash so I guess they could get out of it if they're fast enough...

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Yeah really, upsmash is just a terrible move. It's only useful for using accidentally and killing people with it at 120% on Brinstar because they didn't bother to DI or momentum cancel it.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
It's not upsmash itself I'm talking about, but the Dash attack before it.

People wouldn't even see it coming and they're less likely to DI out of it... It seems situational, but may not be complete trash

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
Is the failed DACUS (you know, the shorter one) technically like Falco's gatling combo?

I'm trying to wonder if it could possibly have any use. I know usmash is typically seen as a bad move, but I picture to have a few situational uses, such as a follow up to dthrow.
You can gatling combo with Wario's DACUS to any range. The lag you get from hitting with a dash attack actually makes it easier to cancel into upsmash. I'm not sure what you call the lag you get when it hits (hitlag probably), but it extends the frame window.

Now is it useful? You could probably get some good shield pressure with it, but you'd just get grabbed afterwards anyway.

Just some dumb theory crafting here:
You could hit a shielding opponent with Dair and retreat the landing then buffer a dash attack back at them and cancel it into upsmash and eat a huge amount of their shield. It's dumb, but I've got a little free time and I feel like messing with something.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
6:4ish IMO. It's not terrible for ROB but he has some issues against Wario. Most of ROB's strong points besides his better ground game are neutralized by Wario, and his problems exploited by Wario.

Damage Points

Smash Ace
What's the best way to handle the Rob matchup then. I have some inanley camp robs where I live. I get his with laser once and I'm screwed cause they camp and then i'm force to approach.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Bite ***** them if they shield, Dair is fairly safe, get out of Usmash, generally avoiding his Nair outright is better than trying to airdodge and beat it, you can shield grab a lot of his attacks, try dodging his Ftilts and punishing rather than shielding them if you are near max distance, Uthrow tends to be useful on ROB because the extra damage you get from Fthrow guaranteed isn't a deal breaker on someone heavy as ROB. However he is very bad when above you, so abuse this. His airdodge is bad for escaping Wario, and his other options are readable or punishable pretty easily.

Don't be afraid to try and edgeguard him aggressively, just don't go using your DJ doing this unless he is really close to the stage. If you try to hit him and miss, and he grabs the edge, sometimes going under the stage to the other edge is safer than trying to get back on near him.

Damage Points

Smash Ace
What do you guys view as warios top 3 moves? (from your experience in tourneys)

1) dair it's how I rack up a good portion of my damage as I weave around the stage
2) nair works great sets me up into grabs well and the occassional fsmash
3) waft I'm still able to land these so well. I don't know if the kids in my region are used to wario or not but I bait them and then take a massive fart on their head. Usually accounts for atleast one of my kills per map.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Eh, Wario is actually my only 2nd that does well vs MK.

I just need a general strat vs MK. Any pointers?
Basically you should play super safe. You have to be able to punish him extremely well which can be difficult because of how easily he transits from move to move. Look for patterns with what the MK is doing. Land your wafts. That's pretty much it I guess.

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
Warios best move is grab since he grab ***** pretty well.

Also approuching a good mk is impossiable but usually they get bored and do something stupid and thats your time to punish. Falcos *besides larrys* have the same problem with camping.

Silver Swordsman

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I've main'd Wario since late 08 and still suck. I typically get bracket ***** and can't go to many tournaments as it is, so I play online quite a bit.

There's a DDD player that I brawl often and I almost always lose, though it's usually close. He tells me that I should try camping him really hard, but I've always gotten mixed results doing that. When I camp, I'm safer in general but I also become very predictable... plus I'm always tempted to punish when I think I see an opening and don't camp for a very long time. Any tips for fixing this habit? I'm normally an aggressive Wario, but I just don't think that's the best way to play him... at least not vs D3.

I'm probably going to start posting more here too, so let's have fun :p

Top Bottom