• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Week 16 Matchup REDISCUSSION: MetaKnight

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Dammit, we were all wrong lol. Yeah then just shielding the whole thing then punishing, or double jumping away then punishing/dair through the nado are the choices you have.

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
No offense masky but you sometimes make it sound like the mk matchup is completely hopeless =(

Sky`

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3_FFxqw1GA

This isn't really a point, it's more of a recent vid of my Wario, and it's how I play against MK really.

Well, I was playing the MU at 60%, The MK didn't provoke me to go complete, as you'll see in the video.

This was Losers Semis, And Sake is the guy who beat Eggs, t0mmy, and that tournament he beat Sean.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Not bad. I understand what you are trying to do. Biggest thing to work on IMO is delaying the airdodge timing. You are SHing and doing it really soon afterwards, you lose fast fall or DJ or attack mixups by doing that when they are quite far away. It works best mid range because at that range you probably don't have anything else worthy as a mixup, and it's good bait. Close range I probably would not do that as much, long range they are far enough where it doesn't matter if you Fsmash they can't do anything. But mid range that looks good.

Sky`

Smash Lord
Dyno, I play every chance I get. Since I picked up Wario, I practice in my room, and play whenever anybody wants to.

And this video isn't anything that I want people to think is ground breaking, it's just how I kinda play MK. This idea was from Tyrant, but I'm trying to develop it as much as I can. But I hope it gave you guys a little insight of how I play the MU.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
M2K told me at Bio that this matchup is in Wario's favor at a top level; because MK can't land a kill on Wario.

Take that how you will.

Personally after seeing M2K struggle with Sky's Wario at Bio in friendlies (sure it's friendlies, but still M2K was playing the matchup like MK is supposed to; he was walling the **** out of him), I really don't think this matchup is that bad for Wario.

but I'm a terribad scrub so my opinion doesn't matter

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Honestly Sky, you just wiped the floor with Sake. He's a really aggressive player, and you used that to your advantage very effectively. However, that is definitely not a MK vs Wario showcase match. You should record a match aganst Sade, a turtle style MK that's hard to crack. Campy MKs are the hardest MKs, am I right?

bassem6

Smash Lord
Yeah, campy mks are definitely harder to beat. I thought you did quite a nice job in that match though sky!

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
I didn't say they were bad, just old. Older usually means the metagame is less developed, especially vids from an entire year ago. Good matches though, Fiction was really ahead of his time lol.

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
If he didnt quit i think his wario would still be at the top.
But eh life calls on us all at some point

theunabletable

Smash Lord
I've seen Ally beat MK's with his falcon does that make the MU even? Or in falcons favor ?
Ally is far more skilled than those MKs. Sky isn't far more skilled than M2K lol

The outlier argument doesn't apply at all to M2K having trouble with Sky's Wario, since M2K is way better than everyone already. Sure he may not be the best at the matchup, but he wasn't playing it bad.

Just because mk cant kill doesnt mean the matchup should be in wario's favor.
I didn't say it does. I just mentioned that M2K, the best player in the world, said that, at a top level, Wario has an advantage on MK because MK can't kill him, and Wario can kill MK super early.

That isn't exactly my opinion, I think it's probably in MKs favor (maybe not if you're a Wario as skilled as M2K, but I wouldn't know, I'm not at M2Ks level so I can't comment on how difficult, or how easy, certain matchups are if you're as good as him), but there's no way it's as bad as a lot of you Wario's make it out to be.

In my opinion (as I said, I'm a scrub, so my opinion doesn't matter much. But apparently the best player in the world's opinion on how difficult matchups are at a top level doesn't matter, either), it's a close-ish to even matchup with M2K having a slight advantage.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Ally is far more skilled than those MKs. Sky isn't far more skilled than M2K lol

The outlier argument doesn't apply at all to M2K having trouble with Sky's Wario, since M2K is way better than everyone already. Sure he may not be the best at the matchup, but he wasn't playing it bad.

I didn't say it does. I just mentioned that M2K, the best player in the world, said that, at a top level, Wario has an advantage on MK because MK can't kill him, and Wario can kill MK super early.

That isn't exactly my opinion, I think it's probably in MKs favor (maybe not if you're a Wario as skilled as M2K, but I wouldn't know, I'm not at M2Ks level so I can't comment on how difficult, or how easy, certain matchups are if you're as good as him), but there's no way it's as bad as a lot of you Wario's make it out to be.

In my opinion (as I said, I'm a scrub, so my opinion doesn't matter much. But apparently the best player in the world's opinion on how difficult matchups are at a top level doesn't matter, either), it's a close-ish to even matchup with M2K having a slight advantage.
I'd agree with this when M2K starts losing to Wario's the way he loses to diddy's until that start happening I don't believe it.

Sky`

Smash Lord
First, I do have videos against Sade, she hasn't beaten me. =P

Secondly, you warios need to be consistent. Earlier people were telling me that Aggro MK's would be the only way to make my strategy viable, and no MK is going to approach. But now Masky is claiming that if the MK I fought were aggressive, I would have not been as successful. Care to clarify?

EDIT: And don't call my AD's or jumps 'spammy' because that insinuates that there is no thought behind them, which is false. =P

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
If he didnt quit i think his wario would still be at the top.
But eh life calls on us all at some point
Fiction hasn't quit Brawl. He still plays from time to time--he just finds Brawl boring compared to Melee.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
First, I do have videos against Sade, she hasn't beaten me. =P

Secondly, you warios need to be consistent. Earlier people were telling me that Aggro MK's would be the only way to make my strategy viable, and no MK is going to approach. But now Masky is claiming that if the MK I fought were aggressive, I would have not been as successful. Care to clarify?

EDIT: And don't call my AD's or jumps 'spammy' because that insinuates that there is no thought behind them, which is false. =P
I'll try to explain it.

You we're talking about punishing their fair and doing all of this other stuff which wouldn't be possible if the MK decided to camp you. However, aggro Mk's are easier to punish and easier to shield grab.

With that in mind you match the MK you played needed to be more aggro in order to make your strategy invalid.

So if we think like that it becomes a cluster **** however, I'll try to explain.

First off the MK was lacking he didn't apply pressure or punish you at all he just sort of let you do what ever. If he dash grabs you when you're jumping away and air dodging you'd get punished since you're committing way to early to the AD and won't have any more options. So what that MK wasn't doing was attack where you were going to land.

Secondly, the MK didn't try to control the stage or limit any of your options. While you're doing your jump away air dodge stuff he could easily occupy the middle off the stage. Once he does. This you're options become limited because he is now close enough to punish with a move or put you in an extremely bad position because of the right side of the stage.

Third, I didn't see him dtilt at all which is great for spacing and applying pressure nor does he gimp you he misses the opportunity. So this MK isn't spacing applying pressure nor is he trying to control the stage nor is he adapting to anything that you're doing. He's just throwing out moves and I guess he's expecting you to jump into them or something.

I could be mistaken however, those are just some of the things that I saw that I felt the MK didn't do. It's not just blind aggresion however, it's a mix up of a good ground game and off stage pressure as well as limiting the options of the Wario and taking advantage of that. This MK failed to do any of those things. If the MK was better you'd prob would of lost your first stock to a gimp and lost your second stock to a gimp after the stage had flipped.

I think this is a perfect example of how an MK can apply pressure on wario and take advantage of his mistakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vnctash9hk&feature=related

Sorry bassem but it's a good learning point.

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
Fiction hasn't quit Brawl. He still plays from time to time--he just finds Brawl boring compared to Melee.
I know that but there was a LONG gap when just stopped playing i think that caused him to get behind on the metagame :(

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
If other people are saying MK should not approach Wario, they are completely wrong and don't know how the matchup actually works. I don't know if I want to go into any more detail though lol (pretty sure most of the top level Warios know what I'm talking about but I've never seen anyone post about it so I'm guessing it's supposed to be kept kind of a secret lol)
I don't know teach me pl0x that way I can win. PM me tips.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Yah i got to play zigsta a little while ago. It was fun but brawl is boring :p

@zigsta-
Come over again soon we'll just hang out you seem really chill XD

also

I agreed to fully come back to brawl if Sky's wario (I would take the challenge from any wario) could consistently beat my mk

zig got to play my mk XD

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Beat tearbear tryant or havok and you'll have your proof.
That's just a stupid and degrading comment and you know it. If you really want to bash Sky, do it intelligently. I do admit I scanned the uploaded match, and I'll be an *** and say the MK wasn't really handling the MU all too properly. This will all get sorted out in time.

Leaving for the airport in 20 minutes, why am I here.

Top Bottom