• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What type of Smasher are You?

fralf

Smash Rookie
Hmm, I'm not too sure what one I fit under. The last time I played before 4 months ago was when my SSBM disc broke in 02'. I didn't have any idea what I was doing back then, all I knew was A, B, B^, Bv, and that Kirby could fly. Know after 4 months of playing, I've learned a lot, but I'm not great. I play like a hardcore gamer, but lurve playing casual.

Mario Girl

Smash Cadet
I'm my own category XD
I'm a silly smasher that likes to run around trying to do funny things with my character while still trying to win, like do a shield dance, or duck dance, or just running in circles XD

Dragoshi1

Smash Rookie
I'd be attack 1st, ask questions later, I have a habit of ignoring vital items, like heart pieces and food, and even baseball bats, and I pursue someone until I am KOed.

quinn95

Smash Journeyman
all never pass a chalenge i can go to! Competitive Hardcore Casual smasher.

Maruku

Smash Cadet
WEST Tijuana BC Mexico(Right Next to California)
I would have to say i am a CASUAL/COMPETITIVE/HARDCORE SMASHER
i do play the game to win, even going to some tournaments but i still love the other side of the game, just been with your friends having a pokemon, bob-omb or motion sensor bomb smashfest or just a good old free for all in this awsome multiplayer game
and also i love this game im hardcore smasher to the bone and no matter what the next smash has or does not have i will still be incredibly happy that we can still keep doing this for the next years whit a brand new smash

there is a tear in my eye now...

gamingotaku

Smash Rookie
There are certainly other kinds of experts in the smash universe. Some people aren’t good at mind games or pushing buttons fast enough. For these people, they might enjoy doing research about smash.
First of all, congrats kirbykid, on an awesome article. Somehow you pinpointed exactly the kind of smasher that I am. I am casual in that I don't train extensively or play every day, but I am at a somewhat "competitive" level in that I like to research about smash and read anything I find interesting about the game. Whether it's new bits of info on Brawl or new info on the Super Yoyo Glitch, I love sitting down and reading about Smash, and learning about its advanced techniques, even though I'm not particularly good at "mind games or pushing buttons fast enough."

So I guess I'm casual in gameplay style, but competitive in knowledge... Maybe "Intellectual Smasher"...? Or simply "Geeky Smasher"? :laugh:

Zane Fleia

Smash Journeyman
I knew there was a reason I thought you were awesome besides the fact that you main Kirby. ^_^

Excellent post, I agree entirely.

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
1/3 Casual- Sometimes I like to settle down and have a good match- y'know, just play around for a while. Have a good time.
1/3 Competitive- Let's just say that there are some players that I want to surpass. Plus I'm freakin' relentless when it comes to my playstyle.
1/3 Hardcore- No matter what happens to Smash, it's still Smash. I'll stick with the franchise for as long as I live.

detroitpistons_fan_23

Smash Cadet
casual - competitive
i love smash but i only just recently tried to get good at it... i guess i would fit under the harcore aswell but w'eva

im 1/2 casual, 1/4 hardcore, 1/4 competitve make that 3/8 harcore, 1/8 competitve haha i went a bit technical there! haha and then i used a big word! omg im turnin into a nerd!!

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
Wow, what is this, a smashboards blog thing? Didn't even know this stuff was here.

I guess me building the Finnish community from scratch and traveling to tournaments abroad already makes me pretty hardcore.

Darkwolfg

Smash Apprentice
im a compeditive,casual,hardcore smash player...,...i have had this game since the days of the 64 and plan to stick with this game for many years to come . also this article is amazing the definitions are perfect

Thedude3445

Smash Apprentice
I'm a casual/competitive-hardcore. I love playing with the items on at Big Blue, but I also like playing with no items on as Samus or Marth, though I'm not that good. And if the game had no online, custom stages, and every technuiqe from Melee was gone (though in a sense, that's what's happened in Brawl to many of the moves), that's just what I imagined SSB3 as back in 2004.

Playat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Playat
3DS FC
0473-7807-1815
I'm a casual-hardcore smash player. Very competitive and love to challenge just about anyone

ohminsun

Smash Rookie
I'm a very casual player, but I still do not like to use items~ I prefer to play based off of skill, and when you have 80 different Pokeballs, bombs, etc., it lets people get away with not actually knowing how to use their character~ ^^

Colino

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrColino
I'm a pretty hardcore player, even though my skill level is nothing special, I generally avoid items and moving stages..

Lloyld

Smash Rookie
Really nicely written, you did a great job stating all your points. And to all you non-smashers out there... I pity you... ANYWAY I think I'm the Casual/Hardcore smasher, I've loved smash since I was in pampers and I still do today. Sometimes I like to play tournament style because many of my friends are competitive, but I still like to sometime turn on only Bomb-oms, mines, and pokeballs and then play on a chaotic level. Just good, clean, chaotic fun.

Akiak

Smash Ace
Non-smasher:(
I only had the honor of playing back when I was 8 once at a friends house...thats right....once
I thought of it as a game like all others but I took a closer look at it with videos and now I simply said "Oh sh*t what have I been missing all this time!" So I bought a wii just for brawl and even though I don't know anything about it except with the DOJO site, i'm only 11, and I live in Italy where there aren't any tournaments, I swear I'll do my best to become pro with Yoshi. Or Toad if he's in. And I will definetely use items. But sometimes I'll do no-item battles on Final Destination just to see my inner talent.
I study every single article on the smash DOJO site atleast twice.
I don't know what i will call Yoshi. Maybe Storminator or Dream chaser or Akiak or................Green eggz n' ham!!!

Sisen

Smash Rookie
Well as I have found out so far it looks like I am the only person from WV that does play smash. (To my current knowledge.) I just play the game to play it, it's a great game after all. I only play by myself or vs the LV9 computer but that really isn't anything. (Anyone can beat three LV9 computers right?) It use to be my cousins game and we would play together on his file because I was almost always at his house so we unlocked and beat the stuff together. Then finally when I got my own GC I copied the file we had both worked on. Sadly even though he is my cousin we don't do anything together anymore so I really don't have anyone to SMASH with. I still need to beat the final 3 event matches. I was able to beat the hands in classic mode with Peach but that isn't like the event match.
In the end I am a Casual/Hardcore Smasher because even if my favorite character isn't in the game I am still going to buy it.

-Sisen

Glinth

Smash Journeyman
I guess I'm sort of hardcore and competitive... sorta...

I like competing, and a play smash like crazy, but I'm still not
nearly as good as most of the proffessional players... that's what
I like about brawl... sort of evens things out...

WiiLittleMan

Smash Cadet
Based on the definitions you gave, I'm definitely a hardcore, competitive smasher. I've finally mastered wavedashing with fox (waveshining and infinite combos are next :D), and I would buy Brawl no matter what happened to it.

Orbinas

Smash Rookie
I'm most probably a competitive player. I don't play hardcore, but I know a few advanced tactics.

Tha L@wl

Smash Journeyman
I'd say im a competitive....
too many n00bs thinking they are hardcore....

playing for along time doesn't = skill....

XxGUNZxX

Smash Apprentice
I think for a lot of people (including me) we like to have fun. But it is not fun when you are losing all of the time right? This is what makes us want to get better so that we can win more often and have even more fun stomping on our opponents. It is a satisfying feeling when you are completely dominating everyone else and no one can stop you.

I think that a lot of the time, it starts out like this, and then you find someone better then you, then you have to practice even more to try and beat them. Then you find someone else better and you have to practice even more to beat them. Then you find someone else and it is a never ending cycle until you start to get to your highest potential. Then you can't get any better and i think that is when people start getting frustrated.

Just my two cents.

WildFiyah

Smash Rookie
Competitive-Hardcore. I guess a little Casual too, seeing as how my friends aren't as into Smash as I am. Huzzah for the occasional itemfest.

Top Bottom