• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What type of Smasher are You?

Mr. Sunny Patch

Smash Journeyman
Say I'm playing with a group of complete strangers, and within the first couple of matches, I will begin to act as if I were with a group of crazy friends.

king_NDj247

Smash Ace
i think i would b a competetive/hardcore coz i love smash bros 2 bits and seriously no matter wat happens 2 the game i know that i'll always play it i understand everything your saying and it just made me think of other smashers and wat type of players they are and it's nice 2 always has a casual in your group coz u get bac 2 the stupid fun beginner times again except u play more pro lol

Hurk Fun

Smash Rookie
I'm purely casual. There are times when I feel a little competitive, but I'm 95% certain I'll never be half as good as some of the guys I've seen on YouTube.

Hell, when I'm playing by myself, I pause a bunch just because I like to catch the characters in ridiculous poses. I really don't care if some guy is better than me at the game.

Still, I'm not entirely without desire for success. Sometimes, I will get angry after getting owned by my brother and start getting a little more serious about it. Even then, though, I remain very aware of the fact that it's just a game. My brother is much more of a "hardcore" gamer than I am, so the fact that he usually beats me is really no surprise.

megamanexev3

Smash Journeyman
I'd say I'm a competitive-hardcore smasher, if there's ever a party at my place, we're obviously playing Smash. Coming to my house is also a synonym for hours of having your *** kicked by Sheik to my friends.

king_neeso

Smash Apprentice
well id say im a casual. not the best, not the worst, i just like having fun with it. but that doesnt mean i dont get pissed when i get myt *** kicked by some a-hole who is like a million times better than me just cos they have no life and play it 24/7 in their parents basement lol

ShadeofDante

Smash Cadet
Wonderful article this is. Really, it actually explains everything in a quick, easy to understand way.

As for myself, I consider myself a Casual-Hardcorew. I play for fun, doing whatever, I don't care too much about advanced techniques. And hardcore, as I have been playing the series since it's conception. I don't care what happens with the game, I roll with the changes and understand that Brawl is still going to rock, even if it isn't exactly like Melee.

ValiantVernon

Smash Journeyman
im definitly going with hardcore man. No matter what this game is gonna be mine for the owning and other will be as well ;)!
But i also agree with you man there are some people who just purely go for glitches and they still cant beat me in certain cases. I do use glitches ,ever so rarely, but even when i dont using ur mind and ur characters general moves can win a match even against some of the best. Try it =).
I still like to use items to cause they add a new level of chance and surprise to the game although i do like that they dont use them in tourneys for obvious reasons =)

MaNg0

Smash Hero
i like to say im a casual smasher
And a pro kinda ^_^

Like the rule to everysmashfest of mines..
Is at the end of the smashfest.. u MUST have 4 people ffa Items Random charaters levels and neutrals banned

But i also like to compete and get better and what not

berserker515

Smash Cadet
i consider myself to be a competitive/hardcore smasher. i try to work on my game as much as i can (melee and ssb64). and i know I'll definitely be getting brawl.

XCWarrior

Smash Apprentice
Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit, Zack and Wiki, SMR
Casual-Hardcore for myself. I love playing with my friends, and we all love to win, but man, the best moments are when something ridiculous happens and we have to pause while we stop laughing or the shock value goes away.

And I am buying Brawl the day it comes out. Although I'd really like to have a full-time job then, if I don't, I will play the game non-stop until I fall asleep at the helm.

And I may do that for awhile after that.

Great post. I'm sure it took some time and thought.

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
What about those non-smashers? Aren't they worthless? ;) *wink* ;) *wink*.
Maybe you're right kirb, maybe we can all put ourselves in the different categories that you've provided us. The casuals, competitve ( aka up-and-comers ), and ( the ever-sought after title ) pro. But what if all of these smashers aren't so different after all. What if these categories aren't just what a smasher happens to be a part of, but they're more a part of the evolution of a smasher. If this smash journey is an evolution, then it can't end with everyone becoming a pro, because like the kid said, this title is an incredibly hard one to reach. So what happens to all those smashers without the skill, luck, determination, or resources to fulfill their dreams of going pro. There has to be another level of the evolution. Well I happen to know exactly what that level is. It's the self-abusive, obsessive, depressed, insomniac smasher. This is the smasher that after learning all the advanced techniques, practicing countless hours upon hours, and going to different tournaments to test and hone their skills, they come to find out that they still suck. There are really only two ways to escape such an existence. One could put together a homeade bom-bomb, light it, put it under their pillow, and go to sleep; or just pick up fox or falco...or maybe samus. But since most smashers aren't going to want to kill themselves ( hopefully anyway ), and since most have too much pride to swich their main for some gay space animals or bird lover; most the self-abusive, obsessive, depressed, insomniac smashers are forced to a life frustration, malcontent, and regret.

So I ask you KirbyKid, are the non-smashers as worthless as you say, or are THEY the lucky ones?

gamingotaku

Smash Rookie
Maybe you're right kirb, maybe we can all put ourselves in the different categories that you've provided us. The casuals, competitve ( aka up-and-comers ), and ( the ever-sought after title ) pro. But what if all of these smashers aren't so different after all. What if these categories aren't just what a smasher happens to be a part of, but they're more a part of the evolution of a smasher. If this smash journey is an evolution, then it can't end with everyone becoming a pro, because like the kid said, this title is an incredibly hard one to reach. So what happens to all those smashers without the skill, luck, determination, or resources to fulfill their dreams of going pro. There has to be another level of the evolution. Well I happen to know exactly what that level is. It's the self-abusive, obsessive, depressed, insomniac smasher. This is the smasher that after learning all the advanced techniques, practicing countless hours upon hours, and going to different tournaments to test and hone their skills, they come to find out that they still suck. There are really only two ways to escape such an existence. One could put together a homeade bom-bomb, light it, put it under their pillow, and go to sleep; or just pick up fox or falco...or maybe samus. But since most smashers aren't going to want to kill themselves ( hopefully anyway ), and since most have too much pride to swich their main for some gay space animals or bird lover; most the self-abusive, obsessive, depressed, insomniac smashers are forced to a life frustration, malcontent, and regret.

So I ask you KirbyKid, are the non-smashers as worthless as you say, or are THEY the lucky ones?
I don't think they're much phases of an evolution as they are styles of play, but I do agree about the frustration most people find in having to switch to higher tier characters...

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Casual/Competetive/Hardcore

I love going competitive. Items are still too fun to miss out on also!!! When Brawl comes out, people think I'm not going to like it because of differences with Melee. I'll still love this game and Brawl. I'm actually going to play Melee for a very much longer time even after Brawl comes out. That is unless Brawl is essentially a better Melee. Because Brawl has taken out glitches from Melee, It's just even more fun to get better by not using the Melee advance skills.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
Competitive/Hardcore

I feel I'm well on my way to "Pro" or at least "semi-pro" especially with the group of smashers I'm having tournaments with. The scene I have is really good and with the neighboring cities' scene being even better there's only more room for improvement.

I've always loved Smash ever since N64 and in Brawl I'll have a much better start than when I had in melee (where I played it w/o getting better or meeting anyone new for 6 years) so I'm looking forward to becoming a pro Brawler lol.

royinator

Smash Cadet
Casual-Hardcore for myself. I love playing with my friends, and we all love to win, but man, the best moments are when something ridiculous happens and we have to pause while we stop laughing or the shock value goes away.

And I am buying Brawl the day it comes out. Although I'd really like to have a full-time job then, if I don't, I will play the game non-stop until I fall asleep at the helm.

And I may do that for awhile after that.

Great post. I'm sure it took some time and thought.
amen! my thoughts exactly

KazenoZ

Smash Apprentice
A very interesting post that was... though, I would have to say not detailed enough, if I'd go with that, then I could be refered to as a casual-competetive-hardcore-smasher, nearly everything of what you wrote of these 3 catagories suits me, but that's just me I suppose.
If I'd have to choose... I'd say my hardcore side is the strongest.

metasonic

Smash Rookie
i play as marth. i fight with absolute percision. i rarely miss and am rarely hit. when my enemys attack i dodge or block when they are open i strike.

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
i play as marth. i fight with absolute PERCISION. i rarely miss and am rarely hit. when my enemys attack i dodge or block when they are open i strike.
Apparently he just doesn't spell with absolute PRECISION.

ejay

Smash Rookie
I remember the first time i played smash, at Eb before it was out on the N64. I was amazed and they said it was coming out tomorrow. I came back and bought it...we played hardcore smash ever since. Im pretty positive i know everything there is to know, those games are just a part of my life. So umm yeah, haha i guess im a smasher for life:cool:

Top Bottom