• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Important Message (You probably suck at Smash)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saymus

Smash Apprentice
He does?

I've never seen him do it, do you have a video?

EDIT:

And clearly everyone that doesn't play Melee my way sucks at that game.
Yeah, he does. He uses it mainly when he edge-hogs, but a few times he's done it in-game. One match that comes to mind is one against CJ's Bowser where he WDs forward to run away... once.

Here it is at 1:12 http://youtube.com/watch?v=8XNkcRa-2yg

(And it doesn't seem like he *doesn't* it just seems like he just doesn't need to...)

Scar

#HarveyDent
I personally, don't WD. Not because it's hard or I can't do it, but I have a hard time integrating advance teching and other somewhat complicated forms of moves.
This is the quote I was looking for. It doesn't help your game because you don't understand the game and therefore are a scrub. Keep trying and maybe you'll figure it out. Or never be a real competitor.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Yes, you do suck. Why? Because you haven't been to tournaments and don't have the necessary experience. It's not that you haven't been able to show your talent. It's that it's impossible to get good without experience, which you lack if you don't go to tournaments. Had to say this.
No you didn't, because a few pages back I have admitted that I did.

This is not about me, nor was the post. The post was detailing some reasoning for many individuals who are claimed "good" by their friends, but can never get out to prove themselves.

Salaad

Smash Ace
This is the quote I was looking for. It doesn't help your game because you don't understand the game and therefore are a scrub. Keep trying and maybe you'll figure it out. Or never be a real competitor.
QTF.

10char

Deft

Smash Cadet
Wow, thank god everything you said will be absolutely obsolete when Brawl comes out. Online removes the necessity of going to tournaments to face good players and wavedashing is definitely a thing of the past. Were moving on.

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer

and if that is the case, and not being able to go because of money and transportation is irrelevant, then you are conforming to the statement that it is impossible for people who don't go to tourneys can't be good, ever.
Well yes, if you don't play a lot of people you won't become good. It's not like life had to be fair or anything. That's why the money / location issues weren't worth mentioning as an argument.

Youkai Master

Smash Apprentice
Haha, oh wow. I just gave up all hope for the Brawl boards... Biggest conglomeration of stupid, ignorant kids I've ever seen on the interwebs...

At least people like AlphaZealot are still trying to help and talk some sense into them, even if it won't really do much.

I propose locking this section for a while until all the noobs migrate somewhere else =)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
actually i think the new influx of nubs is pretty cool. it's fun and interesting, a new twist to smashboards! today the boards reached "most users ever online" again haha.

over two thirds are browsing general brawl discussion.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Defending someone who thinks he knows everything makes you look not only bad, but moronic. More so than a wannabe.

Coming from someone that cannot read. Hmmm.

It appears that a lot of people don't like WD, I don't think it's the minority that doesn't.

And threads like these, are the reason why everyone that plays Melee casually doesn't like WD.

Oh the Irony.

Good, they would get their ***es handed to them without ATs anyway. Why they come to this site is beyond me, I wish Nsiders would re-open and I wish they knew about Gamefaqs.com.

Puffs

Smash Ace
So I suppose a Capt. Falcon player sucks if they don't use the knee and still win tournaments?

Tony_

Smash Ace
Untrue. They don't like WD because it's difficult to perform and gives other players a significant edge over them.

The only irony here is when some scrub triangle jumps, calls it a Wavedash, and says "it doesn't add anything to my game" just to prove a point.
A true tourneyf@g post. Well done.

Bakemonky

Smash Apprentice
Your'e friggan ********.

Do you honestly think that Nintendo would go through the trouble of taking out known GLITCHES in a game if only 2% of the community knew about them?

I'm thankful that wavedashing has been taken out. Finally, slower characters will actually be able to go toe to toe with fast characters. Fox will no longer be able to WD around moves, but will have to go through the required animations to TURN around if he wants to go in the opposite direction. FIX WAS NOT MEANT TO MOVE SO FAST. EVER. He will be slower, and bigger characters will be able to catch him and beat the snot out of him.

I main Samus at tounries, and I'm glad she is getting nerfed. She is meant to be a slow, powerful, tricky character. But with wavedashing she becomes a FAST, powerful, tricky character.

WAVEDASHING IS A GLITCH. GET OVER IT.

smashknight91

Smash Cadet
I have to say I'm pretty ticked at AlphaZealot's post, but he does have good points. One thing that still gets me even to this day is why people are so worried about WD'ing. Its a useful technique (I mastered it myself) but it doesn't make you instantly good. You need experience, you need to go to tournaments and train with the pros. I don't go to tournaments and I admit that I'm not that good compared.

Another thing I still don't get, why are some people so serious when it comes to playing smash? I mean its just a game. I guess I can agree that its a hobby to some people. You can earn money at tournaments (if thats the kind of tourneys you go to) and you get to meet different people. But I guess I'm not the kind of person that can see the logic in that.

gnosis

Smash Lord
Also, casual players sucking isn't really an insult. I mean, they do, but they're not really expected to be good.

It's like telling me I suck at basketball. Well, yeah, I shouldn't be any good at it because I never play it beyond a casual pickup with my friends (also I am white and of average height and athletic ability, but that's not my point...). So telling me that is a non-issue.

But if I start saying I only suck because the people who can beat me can do cheap tricks like dunking the ball, and if such a trick was removed I'd be good, then I deserve to have my **** stomped in until I either shut up or realize that I don't know anything about the sport or what it means to be good.

The casual players that act like -that- (and some other sub-branches) are the annoying ones. The rest are fine and no one has any reason to be upset by them, and this topic isn't about them.

Catalyst

Smash Rookie
Well yes, if you don't play a lot of people you won't become good. It's not like life had to be fair or anything. That's why the money / location issues weren't worth mentioning as an argument.
Isn't that what Wifi is for in Brawl though, to fight plenty of people across the world with ease?

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
I know more than anything else that life isn't fair. :laugh:

but the point is, that maybe someday down the road, that hidden talent would get a little wad of cash to go to one of the big tournaments, and straight up **** everyone blind.

The argument was people who don't go to tournaments suck, and the rebuttal was, "you can't say they do because you have not fought everyone to make such a broad statement."

Thus, the point of funds and transportation was brought up.

Adi

Smash Lord
Too much of a gamefaqs look a like in my opinion. I think the Broom should start taking in a lot more people so the random smart people floating around have a plice to hide.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
actually i think the new influx of nubs is pretty cool. it's fun and interesting, a new twist to smashboards! today the boards reached "most users ever online" again haha.

over two thirds are browsing general brawl discussion.
I think what's gonna be even more fun and interesting is witnessing the wake-up-call of the century as soon as these noobs start facing decent Melee players who own them just by being smart.:laugh:

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I've been reading this and it seems that a few people are saying “Lol, it's only the scrubs that are attacking him”.

Now, chances are that most, scratch that, almost all of those scrubs have never been to a tourney. And by the looks of it, almost all of the don't like WD.

So by your definition, they're casual players. Yet, according to you, they are the minority.

Doesn't it seem strange that everyone who doesn't go to tourneys are casual players, and almost all of the casual players we have come across here feel the same way?

That minority thing is a load of ********. People like AZ are the minority.

TheSpindoctor

Smash Journeyman
I think you have a mis-type in the subject line,

It says that this is important.

You must have not meant to put that there, because this thread is anything but that!
Once you start insulting people's intelligence with that "short bus" comment your just misguided. Are you saying that someone is mentally stupid if you cant use advance techniques?

Bottom line, I play with maybe five or six friends and my brother because they are the only people around me who play this game. I dont care if you say I say suck or not compared to you, but that "short bus" comment you started commenting on peoples actualy mental capacity, and if you think that skill in a game and how smart you are have any correlation, your are very misguided.

Jx31

Smash Ace
Oh I had enough, reading the responses in this thread is making me sick. Please read AND comprehend AZ's entire post before spewing out nonsense.

Tank McCannon

Smash Journeyman
It's not hard to see why with everyone being a stupid little *****. Do you see how many ********/whiny topics are created here on a daily basis?
And I don't blame the casual scene for standing up for themselves when people like you insult them like you just did.

Honestly, I wish more parts of this board were divided into Casual and Competitive sections seeing as it's very rare that both sides get along.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I've been reading this and it seems that a few people are saying “Lol, it's only the scrubs that are attacking him”.

Now, chances are that most, scratch that, almost all of those scrubs have never been to a tourney. And by the looks of it, almost all of the don't like WD.

So by your definition, they're casual players. Yet, according to you, they are the minority.

Doesn't it seem strange that everyone who doesn't go to tourneys are casual players, and almost all of the casual players we have come across here feel the same way?

That minority thing is a load of ********. People like AZ are the minority.
They are the minority, on this site and which is about the tournament scene. We don't care about the casual scene at all while they are overly obsessed with us.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace

but the point is, that maybe someday down the road, that hidden talent would get a little wad of cash to go to one of the big tournaments, and straight up **** everyone blind.
No it won't. It can't. It's not used to playing in a competitive environment under pressure and against some of the best players in the world.

That's why even in professional sports, people who just join the team usually don't perform well in their first few games. You need to practice under the same conditions the professionals do in order to keep up with them. Although that hidden talent may be a fast learner, he'll still get his *** kicked pretty hard for the first few tournaments of his competitive career.

Revak

Smash Apprentice
[Smash Pro] Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub. [/Smash Pro]

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha unfortunately, the minority = pros = esteemed posters and moderators!!

this is so weird.

NEEDZ MOAR 4CHAN ANONIMITY?

Hell, /v/ is better than the brawl rooms.

Puffs

Smash Ace
They are the minority, on this site and which is about the tournament scene. We don't care about the casual scene at all while they are overly obsessed with us.
Mmm, I thought the forum was for Smash Bros. fans. >_>

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Well I am gone. This thread has lost it's luster for me. XD

You can't discuss ANYTHING anymore without having someone from the sidelines taunting and jeering at the person to interrupt what they were saying.

I leave with this though...keep it in mind...

This topic is FLOODED with personal ego.

Get the **** over yourselves.... Have a good day. XD

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
everything AZ said is true, and all the new '07ers need to pay attention.
not late
RECENT
meaning you don't have much experience
You sir, are a *******. By your logic, I'm guessing that the amount of time you have been signed up on the forums determines your skill level at a video game? You couldn't be more wrong. To tell you the truth, I've had Super Smash Bros. Melee ever since the first day it came out, and I learned new advanced techniques as they were being discovered. Oh, but wait! I must suck at the game because I never chose to sign up! Just because I never felt like discussing a video game with random people doesn't mean that I wasn't aware of what was going on. That's the case for some people if you didn't realize that by now. By your logic, you must not be too good at the game yourself, because you've only been signed up since last year. Is that honestly what you believe? That is really ignorant to say. Good job on making a complete fool out of yourself. I hope you're satisfied with that.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
That's right, I'm quoting myself to see if it gets through in the meyham...

Mainly for AZ, looking for a challenge, hoping you can help ;)

major lolz at Alpha Protoss :laugh:

anywho...I think I make a good example of an under the radar "good" smasher. I WDed for years and just called it slidedodged until I finally went to a Vancouver tourney and won among some "claimed" good players. That's when I heard the term "Wavedashing" and from there, they referenced me to some other tourney players. I then entered an MLG tourney in Toronto and owned 2 rounds but then had to go home (it was a pit stop on vacation).

I don't travel much but there are a few "tourney goers" that come to my place radomly to improve because "in fact" I am better than them. Yet I've only been in 4 tourneys that were actually "worth it" so to speak. I couldn't be near this level without WDing(but it is only one factor and a small one at that), and I didn't have to go to multiple tourneys to win. I've yet to lose a match in a tourney actually (I regret not ditching my family and staying for the semi final and final of the MLG because I know for a fact I would've won it all).

Alpha Zealot - If you know anyone near Kelowna, BC, Canada that may prove as a challenge, PM me.

The truth is, the best player I've ever met has never been to a tourney, (I don't think he leaves his house [no job or school] but instead, he sits at home in Edmonton playing smash and tourney players occasionally go to him to get their ***** kick.) I was there once after a Calgary tourney with two other people and none of us won against him :urg: Seriously. This guy is "hidden talent" as you say AZ. But what you say is generally the way it works for the most part. There "are" odd ends on occasion. ;)

Now online "should" (hopefully) bring that out :ohwell:
WDing is out of this game...you know...SSBB? Why are we discussing WDing in a Brawl section o_O :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom