• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dedede Tactical Strategy 20 - IC's Desynchs

Jupz

Smash Master
Yeah, but if he's spacing it perfectly and mixing it in with Dtilt and Ftilts it can be very hard to punish. Try to grab him as he lands or after a shielded jab.

How about we make the discussion Marths spacing game as they don't just use Fair and only talking about Fair would not be sensible as they use a variety of spacing tools.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I enjoy a good b-sticked waddle throw to draw out the forward air, and counter with a potential gordo or waddle. The Bstick, when pushed the opposite direction of your forward jump moves you out of his forward air range, and presents for him a waddle in the face.

If you want to jump backwards, and still want the push, hit forward just before you hit the side b, this technique also works with the jethammer, but I doubt (highly) that the hammer is in range.

Jupz

Smash Master
I don't use B-sticking, but thats an interesting idea.

Most Marths will SHFFFair, if this is the case you can grab him as he lands if he doesn't retreat far. However watch out for SH double Fair as this will hit you away.

Another option is to walk away a little out of his Fair range and Ftilt him.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Bsticking essentially turns Jethammer and Waddle throw into counter moves, they work great against characters with slow aerial movement speed like Metaknight.

****s so cash.

Tekk

Smash Lord
Hum, what I usually do against marth is staying in the air, waiting him for his first Fair, dodging it and punish him before his 2nd Fair.
I also use Ftilt when he lands on the ground after his spaced Fairs, in this case a waddle is also a good option if he goes too far from you.

Jupz

Smash Master
Hmm ok good, as they like to use tippered Nair to kill. Try to predict and punish it at high percents. We can also punish a shielded jab fairly easily, but we can't punish a tippered Ftilt unless we perfect shield it.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Oh! I saw the auto-cancel when Marth used it for his forward air just before landing... I see now.
But that doesn't mean Marth's neutral air is not punishable, really though. He'll just getthat small boost but not talking about his neutral air at all.

CO18

Smash Hero
I play Neo alot on waifai, He doesnt use nair ever to approach he just like NEVER shields, he just uses nair in oppose to shielding lol when retreating he always has a hitbox out.

Yea lagless fair is pretty ghey, neo does fair to buffered pivot grab/ buffered pivot side b soooo annoying.

Jupz

Smash Master
Yeah Marths Nair always cancels like that on the ground.

Also yeah thats interesting when I watch videos of the top Marths they rarely shield. We could Ftilt him from a safe distance if he decides to retreat with Nair.

Any strategies to get inside his range?

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Mmm that Marth was sexy.

Break Fair spacing with a Dtilt if they get too close

Break Nair spacing with a OoS Dair (which I cant really do since I use wiimote nunchuck...)

I also noticed the Marth in that video didnt use a SINGLE smash. Most notable was a missing Fsmash

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
What about Fullhop Dairing over the top of them?
We would have to see the neutral air coming, but even that...if we fullhopped a down air, our aerial movement wouldn't be fast enough for the down air to hit Marth especially when his large horizontal hitbox is still out. it doesn't seem realistic for the down air to prevail :dizzy:.

Jupz

Smash Master
I meant when he was coming down from an Fair we shielded or something beef. But yeah I suppose we would still be too far out. It would work if you think he is going to Dtilt though.

Never knew you used a wiimote and nunchuck serin :)

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
dude i didnt read anything but i love this matchup.

all u gotta do is ftilt to trounce any ground game he's gona try to mix in, then after a ftilt, turn and do a moving bair

fall turn and either do one of three things based on marths position

Grab range? grab
just outside of that? d-tilt
far? do another ftilt into the previous setup.

every grab should be d-throw ftilt, not chaingrab, because the best position u can be in is controling marth on stage, building poking damage, ur not gona edgeguard marth, not safely anyway.

after the ftilt from d-throw do the setup listed above.
at any time u feel like they're gona wait for ur ftilt to end, and punish ur bair with a fair, then instead of bairing, throw out another ftilt and that should interrupt they're fair approach. putting them back at bay.

I'll try to record matches vs Chaz on wednesday (best marth in fl) and i'll get back to u with video examples.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
ur not gona edgeguard marth, not safely anyway.
Complete bull**** (from my perspective.)

Edgeguarding Marth is REALLY easy for me especially because he recovery is readable. Hug the ledge, when he comes in close, fall off and bair immediately. If you wanna make sure he stays gone, WoP him. If he tries to Up-B stage spike you, roll back on to the stage and punish him since he more than likely wont be grabbing the edge.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
that's not true at all, play a smart marth that waits, by side bing low, and the second u try to come down, hes gonna upb ur foot, u stay there? hes waiting for ur invincibility to run out anyway so he can up b for free and steal the ledge.

Risk reward=NOT WORTH IT

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I made a Marth get use to stopping my edge guarding in a friendly, then instead of following him off the edge, used uptaunt, then uptilted his landing. NOT RECOMMENDED THOUGH. Fun for friendlies only.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
More than likely, I'm going to hit him with a Bair before he gets low. If he even gets near my range of Bair, I'll take the chance to hit him. if he up-b's me, I wont get stagespiked unless I DI wrong. If he's slightly above me, I'm going to jump and Bair him.

CO18

Smash Hero
You cant edgeguard marth unless theyre stupid or were forced to use their double jump already, most u can get is chip damage with waddle dees or if you time it right grab the ledge then punish him as hes forced to up+B over the ledge(which u still cant get all the time)

Though whats the point of doing down throw ftilt for like what 14$? When you can just cg for
20-40 then back throw for another 16?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, I do that up b punish by using something seibrik proposed in the metagame thread.

Chaingrab to edge, downthrow, intercept their jump with ftilt, then the marth will up b, then I forward air. I love it :)

EDIT- Wow, aren't we productive lately.

Also Serin, its sometimes good make a Marth think you can't chaingrab him. He'll have the up b ready, then you punish it.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Accord to the matchup export, he can just walk away. >.>

We arent productive because I'm not productive >.> The more I slack off, the more the d3's boards slack off >.>

...Well, except for Gates. He always slacks off.

Top Bottom