• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Komodo Brawl Tournament Jan 16th Abbotsford B.C.

LFL

Smash Journeyman
I will get you and any person from the island housing

ikool

Smash Apprentice
I will get you and any person from the island housing
Wow, that's mighty generous. O_O

Just wondering, will there be any smashfests anytime soon? As I recall, someone said that there will be one sometime before the tourney? I've never played anyone in the smash community (other than Jake), but judging from the videos of the previous tourney, I'd say that the level of experience of many players is much higher than mine. XD

LFL

Smash Journeyman
Wow, that's mighty generous. O_O

Just wondering, will there be any smashfests anytime soon? As I recall, someone said that there will be one sometime before the tourney? I've never played anyone in the smash community (other than Jake), but judging from the videos of the previous tourney, I'd say that the level of experience of many players is much higher than mine. XD
I'm not sure. I haven't really planned for any...are you going to overture this weekend?

Asa

Smash Hero
please come to overture ikool :)

oh are the victoria smashers coming to this ?

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Any side tourneys like 64 and brawl+? :p

Also, as for attendance, this is at the exact same time as Pound 4, so that may be why some people are not coming. I'd much rather come here than spend all my money entering the events at pound 4 though... way too expensive.

Also Trevor... teams? :p

LFL

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure about a 64 side event as we already are planning for a random character ban stages only tournament. If we have enough time we can do a 64 tournament as well.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
64 is stereotypically the game that doesn't last long at all. 5-stock falcon dittos can last less than 2 minutes... even at the highest level of play. Unless you have two laser-spamming fox players in the same game, 64 should not last long at all.

And I agree with the random char banned stages only.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Aww, what happened to your avatar?

And speaking from experience, if you have a side event with no entry fee, no one will try in it, and some may even throw matches to go back to friendlies. Being a host of the Victoria Biweeklies, this happens all the time, even for free main events.

Plus, if something's on the line, people will try harder at it, giving more of a competitive side to the event instead of just some random thing I signed up for (pun not initially intended, but left in :p )

Second edit:

And for some reason, I'm unable to post for extended periods of time in this thread. I was going to post this response after Trevor asked it... before Asadelta responded, but I wasn't able to for some reason... :(

LFL

Smash Journeyman
The side event will have a $2 entry fee. Hopefully that will be enough to motivate people lol

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
That is the event I'm looking forward to the most after 64 events. Random characters? BANNED STAGES??? I'm in :)

In our Victoria tourneys, I convince/mindgame people to agree to go to Spear Pillar in actual tournament matches (some because they really don't want to play on Rainbow Cruise) :p

BANNED STAGES FOR LEGALITY!!!!!

H8 Making Names

Smash Cadet
In our Victoria tourneys, I convince/mindgame people to agree to go to Spear Pillar in actual tournament matches (some because they really don't want to play on Rainbow Cruise) :p

BANNED STAGES FOR LEGALITY!!!!!
those matches are always hilarious...you have yet to get me in one of those though :p
im more than willing to face you on rainbow cruise (>^.^)>

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
hmm, is there a stage you dislike so much you'd much prefer to play on Spear Pillar instead? Or would you agree to Spear Pillar?

I think so far, I've convinced 3 people to go on Spear Pillar, once in the semifinals (winners or losers, can't remember which).

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
What games other than brawl are going to happen at this tourney? I'm pretty sure we're not going to have melee for the same reasons as the March tourney, but is there going to be 64 or something else as a side event (brawl+ maybe)?

LFL

Smash Journeyman
we can do 64 if we have enough time. If someone else is willing to organize it at the tournament i would appreciate it. I will run the bracket though.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
So seeing how attendence is shaping up to be significantly higher than any Brawl event in BC in recent memory, are we going to start doing pools? I personally think we should. We could get away with random brackets with ~10 people, but it doesn't look like that's going to cut it anymore...

:005:

LFL

Smash Journeyman
if we get more than 24 people i can see doing pools. I don't think its necessary with less

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
More than 24? o.0 That's a pretty big number. We had 23 entrants for Brawl in Alberta this weekend, and we definitely needed pools to seed the bracket. We did the same for Melee, and that had even fewer entrants. It's not about reaching a set number requirement; it's about a need to seperate players properly to create a fair bracket. It's going to be especially important here, since we'll have a large number of new players that we won't know how they compare to everybody else.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Keep in mind what happened at the tourney last May (2nd/3rd, I believe). We had 6 man brackets, but it took so long that people quit / threw their actual tourney matches to go play friendlies (mostly melee players). I'm not saying pools are bad (in fact I agree with pools)... just saying too many people in pools will maybe make it take too long.

I'll be bringing my 64 set-up (as in the actual 64, not the VC) to the tourney with 4 controllers.

bundtcake

Smash Ace
:( The other day I played SSB64 on an actual N64 for the first time in years and came to the unfortunate conclusion that apparently I can only play it emulated with my wired 360 controller D:

I couldn't even z-cancel properly ;_;

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Keep in mind what happened at the tourney last May (2nd/3rd, I believe). We had 6 man brackets, but it took so long that people quit / threw their actual tourney matches to go play friendlies (mostly melee players). I'm not saying pools are bad (in fact I agree with pools)... just saying too many people in pools will maybe make it take too long.

I'll be bringing my 64 set-up (as in the actual 64, not the VC) to the tourney with 4 controllers.
So we make smaller pools. 4-man pools would probably be fine, and we can always make them single matches instead of sets of 3.

Top Bottom