• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Komodo Brawl Tournament Jan 16th Abbotsford B.C.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Participants are split into pools, or groups of players, and everybody in that pool has to play each other once. The players are ranked based on how they perform, and this ranking is used to seed the bracket. The better somebody does in pools, the easier their bracket is, and vice-versa.

:005:

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Normally, if the hosts know more-or-less who is better than who, then they can seed the brackets themselves. I 'self-seed' our tourneys, for example. The problem with this tourney is that everyone is coming from everywhere, and no-one knows how every region ranks amongst each other (we've never played each other... maybe since last May?) So since seeding is virtually impossible at the moment, we'd use a poll system to determine the rankings.

Having bigger pools will take much longer, but having small pools of about 4 people doesn't take that long (that means each person plays 3 matches each... a total of 6 matches total for the pool).

So... basically, yes pools do make the tourney take longer, but there is a reason they are there... and for our tourney, we almost need to have them.

LFL

Smash Journeyman
I agree. We will do a pool system. Everyone will play each other in their pool once. I will determine the pool sizes on the day of the tournament seeing as i don't know exactly how many people will be showing up. The interest so far has been amazing though!

ikool

Smash Apprentice
I agree. We will do a pool system. Everyone will play each other in their pool once. I will determine the pool sizes on the day of the tournament seeing as i don't know exactly how many people will be showing up. The interest so far has been amazing though!
Will we be able to see our pool before the tournament, or will we be learning of our pool matchups before we fight in the tourney?

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I asked everyone in Victoria multiple times, and Trevor and I are the only ones who are interested (Trevor = H8 Making Names... just for clarification lol). So I think it's safe to assume we are the only two from the island coming. So in terms of housing, only two people need it.

breez

Smash Ace
There will be no problem housing you. I am sure LFL (Jordan) or my other friend Kevin will have room. We are all nice guys with plenty of space so you don't have to worry about it! I am super excited that you guys are coming!

Wooo it's coming up :D

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Transportation issue:

We are coming from the Ttssaawwaasseenn (too lazy to see which letters are doubled) ferry terminal, but seeing as it is... (cue in music) "Just the two of us!" (end music), taking the car would make the ferry ride three times as expensive if we were to walk on. We were planning on taking the transit system over there, but no busses seem to go to Abbotsford. Seeing as there should be people living in Abbotsford going to this tourney who know the bus system more or less, how would we get there? I think the farthest bus according to the Vancouver transit site goes to Aldergrove... So... suggestions?

breez

Smash Ace
Transportation issue:

We are coming from the Ttssaawwaasseenn (too lazy to see which letters are doubled) ferry terminal, but seeing as it is... (cue in music) "Just the two of us!" (end music), taking the car would make the ferry ride three times as expensive if we were to walk on. We were planning on taking the transit system over there, but no busses seem to go to Abbotsford. Seeing as there should be people living in Abbotsford going to this tourney who know the bus system more or less, how would we get there? I think the farthest bus according to the Vancouver transit site goes to Aldergrove... So... suggestions?
Alright, well lets work this out. I am really not sure how I am even getting from Vancouver to Abbotsford right now. I think you *may* have to take the WestCoast Express in order to get into Mission, and then from there bus to Abbotsford, this is of course, if we can't find you a ride from Vancouver.

Figure out exactly what you are doing, and exactly where you will end up after you get off the ferry, and I should be able to help you a little more. Either way, we will be able to work something out :)

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Hmm... well, I don't care which ferry we take (as long as it's not too early), and I don't think Trevor minds either. So that said, we can be on the mainland as early as late morning / early afternoon. If there is a smash fest, I'm sure we would both like to go to that to warm up and meet the mainland smashers.

So that said, whatever works best for you guys, though we would like to attend a smash fest if there is one if possible.

breez

Smash Ace
Hmm... well, I don't care which ferry we take (as long as it's not too early), and I don't think Trevor minds either. So that said, we can be on the mainland as early as late morning / early afternoon. If there is a smash fest, I'm sure we would both like to go to that to warm up and meet the mainland smashers.

So that said, whatever works best for you guys, though we would like to attend a smash fest if there is one if possible.
Hmm alright, well like I said, I am currently stuck in Burnaby, and I know Jake, Brian, and Bryan all need to get to Abbotsford from Vancouver - so maybe we can all hop on the train or something together? People can laugh at us for being such huge nerds and discussing video games all the way there :D

I'm not sure if I can get us ALL car rides, unless we beg my friend Kevin and LFL and coax them with free food and gas money, because we would certainly need two cars.

I would like to go early as I will not have played smash for a few weeks by the time jan 17th rolls around, and I would like to get warmed up :)

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Well, me and the Bri(y)ans normally take public transit to the Haney Place bus loop, where Jordan picks us up, although that may not work with the number of people that need to be transported now. Taking busses will get you pretty far though.

Don't worry Ben, we can warm each other up now that we live so close. =P Are you still lacking a GC controller?

:005:

LFL

Smash Journeyman
if you get to maple ridge by bus (haney bus station) i can drive you to my place after work. I'm usually off between 2-4. I can make multiple trips if people are willing to give me gas money

Ic0nic

Smash Apprentice
We can rent a Home Depot van for like, 20 bucks for 3 hours, pick everyone up.

just a thought.

LFL

Smash Journeyman
Ok. I'm Dumb. I just realized that i have the date for the tournament as the 17th when it SHOULD be the 16th. Sorry about that. Again the tournament JAN 16TH!!!!!!!

/moron

ikool

Smash Apprentice
Ok. I'm Dumb. I just realized that i have the date for the tournament as the 17th when it SHOULD be the 16th. Sorry about that. Again the tournament JAN 16TH!!!!!!!

/moron
Tatsunoko vs Capcom is released on the 16th... THAT'S JUST GREAT!
Ugh... getting TvC or tourney... >:L

LFL

Smash Journeyman
if the 16th is a problem for some people i have no problem running it on the 17th but i would like to do it on the saturday

LFL

Smash Journeyman
Ok. Again sorry. I can still pick you up from haney bus station in Maple Ridge on the 15th.

LFL

Smash Journeyman
Good news everyone! the OP and the title have been changed. Please try and let everyone you know that the tournament is on the 16th. I'd hate for people to show up and be disappointed on Sunday when there's no smash tournament.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Maybe you can put some sort of star or something beside all the confirmed attendees, and remove it if they know the date change. That way we know who's left to inform. Just a possible suggestion.

I'll let Trevor know, as we see each other on Wednesday (and Saturday) :p

ikool

Smash Apprentice
Nineteen people on that list on first page. Need one moar for epic winnzors.

Also, when are the smashtivities being held before the tourney? I wanna play me a couple rounds of smash since I haven't gotten practice in forever. O_O

P.S.: Tatsunoko vs Capcom is being released on the 26th, not the 16th. My bad. XD

LFL

Smash Journeyman
there will be a smashfest at my place the night before the tournament and there will be friendlies an hour before doubles start.

ikool

Smash Apprentice
there will be a smashfest at my place the night before the tournament and there will be friendlies an hour before doubles start.
Are there invitations or is it an open smashfest? I'm new to this stuff so I may be asking many n00b questions for a while. :(

Top Bottom