• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Brawler Claws is one of Uprising weapons. The description given in the official website is:

Melee weapons, made specially for a champion prize-fighter. They lack power, but allow the greatest speed of all the weapons. Sadly, their range is very short—one arm's length only—but they allow you to rain down hundreds of punches in a vicious flurry.

Well, who is Nintendo's most famous and popular champion prize-fighter? Little Mac. I think Little Mac is pretty much a shoe-in now.

Wolf Claws is also one of Uprising weapons... Wolf confirmed to return?

Tiger Claws is yet another Uprising weapon... the description given reads:

Claws are melee-specialized weapons that fire talons. They improve speed more than any other weapon as they are lightweight, which makes up for their short attack range. The Tiger Claws allow Pit the impressive speed of a wild animal.

I really want to say Meowth... but I cannot bring myself into false hope. :(

Samurai Blade is one of Uprising weapons. The given description is:

Based on the traditional weaponry of an island nation with a unique culture. Its slashing attacks are the most powerful of any Blade; although it allows for rapid movement, its ranged attacks are weak and it takes a long time to charge shots.

Traditional weaponry? Unique culture? Rapid movement? Charge shots? It sounds like Takamaru based on his NES game. Takamaru confirmed?
Ok, now your looking to much into stuff.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Is Waddle Dee really worth consideration? Serious question. Star? Chrono? I think you two are the biggest supporters of him.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Bandana Dee would be a nice extra, Kirby doesn't really NEED a fourth character anyway. Worthy of consideration? Yes.

Also, does Uprising have a weapon similar to King K.Rool's blunderbuss?

Also I agree with Arc that some abilities of Smash characters look like abilities in Kirby.

:phone:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I recently had the following thought...

You know how the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon may feel fatigued when they're out for too long. Maybe all the playable characters should have a fatigue animation if their damage is 100% or higher. It's only fitting, seeing as when fighters grab hold of ledges, they'll move much slower if their current damage is 100%+.

This wouldn't affect their stats in any way though.
I think that's going to affect balance way more than you think. What I think would be better without affecting anything is things like torn clothes and a panting animation like Link has in the Zelda games.

Not really. It fits Sakurai's MO. Many characters in Smash had moves similar to Kirby's abilities. For example, Wheel Kirby = Yoshi's Side B.
I gotta agree with you're imaginary friend, you're looking too much into it.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
My problem with Waddle Dee is that Sakura himself has never seemed to give him a lot of thought. Sure, he played a role in Kirby 64 and Return to Dreamland, but those are not Sakurai's games. His perceptions of what Kirby needs may not go along with what the series has done in his absence. I mean, it's HIS baby. He has his own ideas for it.

I think the question would be whether or not Waddle Dee has enough support to change Sakurai's perceptions of his own character. Seems like a very steep hill to battle on.

Blah blah modesty too I guess.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It could also mean a kind nod to the newer Kirby team saying 'Yo I like what you guys did while I was gone' to include Bandana Dee to the roster. Then again, I only really support him cause he got a spear...

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Is Waddle Dee really worth consideration? Serious question. Star? Chrono? I think you two are the biggest supporters of him.
Well, I guess it depends. Ever since Kirby 64: Crystal Shards there has been that one, good Waddle Dee character. So it is not like Bandana Dee is a one time thing, not that it really matters either way. From here on out I think "good" Waddle Dee will likely stay as the fourth player character in the Kirby multiplayer cast. Which, if some people are like me, may want him in so that way they can have "a complete KRTD set".

Waddle Dee would be a safe choice, if Sakurai wanted to select a surprise character that would have a positive upside. He would be a fun character that could have different gameplay elements associated with him. Is he worth it? I think so, if for no other reason that he is the fourth string Kirby character now and would have a positive upside to him.

My problem with Waddle Dee is that Sakura himself has never seemed to give him a lot of thought. Sure, he played a role in Kirby 64 and Return to Dreamland, but those are not Sakurai's games. His perceptions of what Kirby needs may not go along with what the series has done in his absence. I mean, it's HIS baby. He has his own ideas for it.

I think the question would be whether or not Waddle Dee has enough support to change Sakurai's perceptions of his own character. Seems like a very steep hill to battle on.

Blah blah modesty too I guess.
Sakurai never really gave a lot of thought to Ridley either, but I don't see that stopping his support. You cannot base a counter-argument on the fact that it has not happened, let alone the mind of one man.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Which also means: characters with a small but strong role and relevancy going for them could in fact be included. I don't wanna hear **** about Impa now either. :glare:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Which also means: characters with a small but strong role and relevancy going for them could in fact be included. I don't wanna hear **** about Impa now either. :glare:

You're going to hear crap about Impa regardless. No one else nor I am shoving Bandana Dee down other peoples throats. There is a way to have pleasant discourse without agitating people.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Well, I guess it depends. Ever since Kirby 64: Crystal Shards there has been that one, good Waddle Dee character. So it is not like Bandana Dee is a one time thing, not that it really matters either way. From here on out I think "good" Waddle Dee will likely stay as the fourth player character in the Kirby multiplayer cast. Which, if some people are like me, may want him in so that way they can have "a complete KRTD set".

Waddle Dee would be a safe choice, if Sakurai wanted to select a surprise character that would have a positive upside. He would be a fun character that could have different gameplay elements associated with him. Is he worth it? I think so, if for no other reason that he is the fourth string Kirby character now and would have a positive upside to him.
Saying "he could be a surprise" and "he MAY have more of a notable presence in the future" doesn't sound the most convincing. Much less "safe." He's kind of like a more interesting Toad, with no where near the same amount of recognition.
Sakurai never really gave a lot of thought to Ridley either, but I don't see that stopping his support. You cannot base a counter-argument on the fact that it has not happened, let alone the mind of one man.
I don't think Ridley quite fits with the argument. Anyway, why would you say that the mind of this one particular man who directs damn near everything in Smash shouldn't be given this much consideration? We're all about figuring out how Sakurai may think. If Sakurai wasn't involved with the two games that Waddle Dee had notable roles in, and he has had the opportunity to put Waddle Dee on that level but didn't (like Kirby Air Ride), I DUNNO can't help but think maybe Sakurai's perception of that character isn't quite what people want it to be.

Waddle Dee may just be a "generic enemy" to Sakurai, which is not what you want to be adding to Smash. (keep in mind that Kirby doesn't have a lot of notable characters, so there wasn't a whole lot of options other than picking the most recognizable enemy character to be the fourth player in RtD)

Blah blah and modesty too.

I DON'T THINK I CAN BE CONVINCED THAT WADDLE DEE IS A GOOD CHOICE, but who cares.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
You are entitled to your opinion. I disagree, but that is the nature of these discussions.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I DON'T THINK I CAN BE CONVINCED THAT WADDLE DEE IS A GOOD CHOICE, but who cares.
I CARE BECAUSE I AGREE WITH YOU!!!!!

I honestly don't see the appeal other than that he's a Kirby character.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGge4DNJqs8

This is the last part to Palutena's OVA, and the last of the Kid Icarus Uprising OVAs. Its in Japanese though.

Two things of note:
1. Simply wow that they actually showed Palutena soaking in a bath. I guess Shaft managed to shoe horn in fanservice afterall. I wonder if this part will be removed or censored when it gets brought over here?

2. We actually get to see Palutena fight. She uses the Beam Claws. This makes me think that the idea of giving Palutena some of the new weapons in Uprising is not as far fetched an idea afterall.
I guess for the moveset then, I could take the idea of weapon switching that I had with my Caeda moveset. :cool:

I just need then to get to the point in Uprising
where she's a boss appearently as well.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I CARE BECAUSE I AGREE WITH YOU!!!!!

I honestly don't see the appeal other than that he's a Kirby character.
Kirby can have a staff-wielding fourth character for an otherwise complete set of characters for his series, but Star Fox can't because you're a ****ing furry. :troll:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'd rather have the cute Spear wielding character over the creepy she-Fox any day. Besides, she'll just be a ZSS clone anyways.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Paintbrushes are better than spears and staffs anyway. I guess he would just be a Bowser clone though wouldn't he?! >:V

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I just got done looking at yet another Japanese Smash Bros. 4 request topic. It seems each forum has one or two characters that get a lot of requests there, but are barely requested elsewhere. For the topic I was looking at it was Toon Zelda and Sothe. Adeline also had an abnormal amount of support (though I saw slightly more requests for Waddle Dee).

As with other Japanese request topics, the main trends are:
- Mewtwo & Roy have far more requests than the actual true newcomers.
- Mega Man is by far the most requested third-party character.
- Both K. Rool and Dixie Kong get a lot of support.

Also, one disturbing trend I am noticing is that on many Japanese sites there seems to be little interest in a retro character at all. They simply don't care. What is even more disturbing is that they don't seem to care about newcomer series much either.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
At the very least good news for Mewtwo, Dixie and K.Rool. Now I just need some mention on Isaac, Impa and Anthony and I'm good.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
At the very least good news for Mewtwo, Dixie and K.Rool. Now I just need some mention on Isaac, Impa and Anthony and I'm good.

I see Ghirahim get a few requests, but I have yet to see one for Impa and Anthony. Heck, I have seen two requests so far for even Masked Marth. On the topic of Zelda characters, Tingle barely ever comes up.

Also, I interestingly saw a post analyzing the chances of various Mario characters, and I think I have stumbled upon why Toad is no requested much by Japanese Smash Bros. fans. The analysis for Toad wrote that while he is someone that SHOULD be next in line, he is basically trapped forever as being Peach's special move. They seem to think that Sakurai will never change this. As a Mario character though, Toad is really popular in Japan.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I really don't get Smashboards. There are serious discussions about Impa, Weavel, Leon Powalski, WADDLE DEE, et-****ing-cetera, but mention Geno and you get torn to shreds. Herp... Derp...

Luckily, as Chrono has shown us, the Japanese seem to have a LITTLE rationality(Except Waluigi). The lack of interest in new series is pretty alarming, but it's to be expected after Brawl's roster. As for retro characters, I couldn't care less about them either.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
To be fair, the West does not care about new series much either outside of Little Mac and Isaac.

Also, both Leon (both the Resident Evil guy and the chameleon from Star Fox) and Waddle Dee come up in Japan.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Well, I'd support Geno if it wasn't for the fact that everyone harped on his appearence moreso than anyone else. It got annoying, so as my inner troll communicates with society, it tells me to not want him.

Yes. I laughed in Melee times, and Brawl times, when Geno didn't make it. U mad, puppet****? :troll: Jkin'

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Also, one disturbing trend I am noticing is that on many Japanese sites there seems to be little interest in a retro character at all. They simply don't care. What is even more disturbing is that they don't seem to care about newcomer series much either.
Aren't the Japanese also notoriously trendy?

And Geno is Smash's Poison.

Deal with it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Geno will forever be the fan favorite pipe dream.

Why hate on Impa though?

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Well, I'd support Geno if it wasn't for the fact that everyone harped on his appearence moreso than anyone else. It got annoying, so as my inner troll communicates with society, it tells me to not want him.

Yes. I laughed in Melee times, and Brawl times, when Geno didn't make it. U mad, puppet****? :troll: Jkin'
Says the guy who jumped on the Victini bandwagon harder than anyone else.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Never! I'll always support my marshmallow-y cloud friend over the overated block of wood known as Geno. There was a day Mallow reigned. /bitter

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
He wasn't saying hop on the geno train he meant flock to the obviously superior Mallo from pushmo.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Says the guy who jumped on the Victini bandwagon harder than anyone else.

Says the hipster who wants Geno over Mallow. :troll:

Seriously though, both won't make it. They have competion both ways, first as Mario characters, then as Square / 3rd,party characters. Both spots highly 'wanted' so to say.

Geno would maybe be unique, but I don't necessary think he's still popular enough to get a spot in Smash as playable. Like Earthbound, Super Mario RPG didn't make it in Europe either, and this is decades after Ness got his Smash debut in 64 (where he was still recent) which might be cause they weren't 100% serious about Smash 64 in the first place.

I just don't think you should get your hopes up about him

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There where actually quite some Geno supporters. Can tell you that his support clearly outnumbers Victini now. Could change I suppose, but right now... Not yet.

And I honestly don't expect Victini to be much more requested as is right now in the future either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom