• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
As it turns out, one Battlecruiser cannot take on a swarm of Marines.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Did anyone watch Day[9]'s Funday Monday this week? Is was quite hilarious to watch.

I really need to start playing again. Every day that I drive home from work intending to play I get home I just watch videos of SC II instead. Must... play... today...

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
So I borrow SC2 from a friend a few days ago and I played through the campaign. I sort of enjoyed it but, then again I really didn't. I just don't want to wait another 12 years to see what happens next. D:

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
So I borrow SC2 from a friend a few days ago and I played through the campaign. I sort of enjoyed it but, then again I really didn't. I just don't want to wait another 12 years to see what happens next. D:
Heh, the campaign can't be the reason to by SC2. PVP! yeayahuzzz

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Here's a few I know of:

aisight.334 (Ankoku) - 83 Platinum // Terran
Anther.849 - 1358 Diamond // Zerg
ArcNatural.328 - 991 Silver // Zerg
Omni stephenjsilver (at) gmail.com - 0 Bronze // Terran

M@v

Subarashii!
****, anther ****** that ladder.

I just broke 1000 points last night, but I'm still platinum.

M@v

Subarashii!
You probably beat every diamond player you got matched up against. Something I've failed to do. I know I could of beat a lot of them too.

rhan

Smash Hero
Nah not really.

I beat like 2 Diamond players when I was in Platinum. How I got into Diamond was after a match I lost. I was pissed beyond belief and then the Diamond symbol appeared. And then I said to myself...

This ranking system is a joke.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
The ranking system is actually really ****ing good, haha. It's very thorough, and given enough time it will always even out its mistakes. There are reasons why you got promoted after a loss. I don't feel like explaining it, but there are "guides" on it in the official forums.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Basically it evaluates you every X matches, not every match. So that X matches could have culminated in the loss, but before that, in the rest of X matches, you could have played well enough to be promoted. Read this on TL, I think this is how it goes.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Does anyone have a way that they motivate themselves to ladder? I keep telling myself I'm going to and then never do. This morning I put post it notes around my monitor saying "1v1" so I'll play later, hopefully I'll listen to myself.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Ladder if you're genuinely interested in getting better. If you have no real reason to ladder, don't make it a chore for yourself.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You want to get better, but you don't want to play much? Seems like a huge contradiction. I mean, if it's that artificial fear of losing rank, just play customs or practice with friends.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I do want to play, I just can't bring myself to do it consistently. Like I'll say to myself "k today I'm going to ladder" but then I'll only play one or two games tops, if any at all. It's just a psychological thing I need to get over I guess.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I have an idea, play a few games with me. It'll work out because I never ladder 1v1 either. :)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Maybe. I'll be meeting up with some others for some programming work first, but I'll definitely be on after 10.

rhan

Smash Hero
I was suppose to go and play Smash with some friends right about now.. But my friend calls me then doesn't say anything. Then I call him back and he ignores it. >_>

So it's whatevs on his part.

I guess I'll be on in the next hour or so.

Cynan Machae

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CynanMachae
Does anyone have a way that they motivate themselves to ladder? I keep telling myself I'm going to and then never do. This morning I put post it notes around my monitor saying "1v1" so I'll play later, hopefully I'll listen to myself.
Put an arbitary restriction on yourself, like, I will do 3 ladder matches each day, and just play them. Also, try not paying attention to your record at all, especially if you are playing to improve.

rhan

Smash Hero
Not paying attention to your record? It's only the single most important thing if you're a competitive person like me.

But yeah you mostly want to look at the replays after each game and look on what you did wrong or what you could improve on. Make metal notes. And keep them in mind for the next game.

Also reading all sorts of builds helps you prepare for about everything.

Cynan Machae

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CynanMachae
And I said, if you want to improve.

I am a competitive player as well, but if you focus too much on only winning your games and not loosing precious points, you end up in an habit of not trying new builds and stuff, only relying on the same stuff.

Sure, if your goal is to be as ranked as possible, you want to keep track of your record. He was mostly asking on how to force youself to ladder when you aren't able to motivate yourself

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I kinda agree. Winning should definitely always be a goal so you can try your hardest and tell what works and what doesn't. However, you shouldn't be super worried about losing a lot and having a bad record as it's just going to happen. It's part of improving and a loss is often a lot more helpful than a win.

I think to improve though, sticking with one certain build for a while, until you're at a really good proficiency, is a good thing to do. There are many different builds and many different possibilities, so if you try a bunch of things without extensive you might not know why or if X thing works because your opponent may not have scouted it, or they might have just gone the wrong build, or you might have had better macro, or the map might have been better suited, as well as tons of different things.

Practicing with a solid build for a long time and seeing the ins and outs of the build is IMO better for improvement because your improvement will be more focused.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I have one build for each race that I stick with, so I guess I have that part covered. 1 build only seems like a stretch, I can't think of much that would work against every race.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Solid, don't you play Terran? Bio timing attack should work in every matchup at your current level.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I can off-race zerg, since it fits my playstyle decently well.

Cynan Machae

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CynanMachae
I play random, but I've been thinking off switching to Zerg recently << If only it wasn't for ZvZ...

Getting one solid standard build for each of y our matchups should definitely be the first goal. After that, you can try other builds and try out stuff, but it's quite essential to wok first on your basic gameplan and make sure you have something solid to fall back on.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I play zerg, I played once this weekend hardcore and went like 25-5 and I'm now #1 Silver 1300 points. All my matches at this point say even to Gold and low Platinum players, I've beaten every platinum player I've played in ladder. My main losses were to gold protosses. I feel like the ranking system might be dumb >.>.

I wonder if when they try to balance you if you end up playing even rank vs gold and platinum yet they don't bump you out of silver and you maintain a 50% win ratio if they end up just keeping you in Silver lol.

I'm not to worried about it though I'm sure I'll get promoted eventually.

And Solid, definitely play customs with friends (ie us or people you know). It's fun to have like 4-5 people watching your matches and pointing out mistakes, good stuff, etc.

rhan

Smash Hero
I miss fighting crappy Toss's. They were so fun to demolish with M/M.

I played 3v3's with my standard 3v3 partners. And we pretty much lost 1 game out of 20. TTP. I do 5 racks reaper. The other Terran goes 3 racks Marine/Mars. And the Toss...... DOes whatever he does.

And it's so good.

Top Bottom