• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sun Rise Tournament (SRT) - Tokyo, Japan - April 2/3 2011 - Melee CONFIRMED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Yeah, RAIN is planning a 64-player Melee singles side tourney.

---

There is now an official tournament home page, though it is in Japanese: http://srt.ninja-x.jp/

---

In addition to M2K, Ally, DEHF, Nick Riddle, and Seibrik, is there anyone else who's actually very likely to go to this? I understand that since this is 6 months away, it's hard to be definitely sure you can make it to this, but RAIN asked me to compile a list of likely attendees just so he could get an idea of the extent of international interest.
I said I'm coming

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
This will Prob be the tourney to end all tournies for sure.Lol cant wait to be up at ridiculous times of the night to watch this!!

USA(AND ALLY) ALL THE WAY!

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I could absolutely save up for this and rep Boston for Melee.

What would any housing situations be like? I can't commit to this without knowing anything like that and I know approximately 0 Japanese smash players.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I know a few Tokyo melee players and I am almost certain that ONE of them would be able to house you. They housed me, LOL.

Like, it seems like Tokyo Brawl players will be housing out-of-country Brawl players so I'm sure the Melee side will do the same thing.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
u should probably look at this like a vacation instead of a tournament, and as such fly in/out whenever you're comfortable

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
My dad just looked online for tickets with american airlines in aprilish

said average was 900 bucks, which im 300 away from.

i'll have that money garunteed (not smash included) in 6 weeks. if the prices are the sameish i'll have my ticket then.

I'm most likely gonna fly in wednesday late night/thursday early morning and stay till sunday late night.

Just keepin people's updated.

oh and i'd be flyin into tokyo

i need any info on the smashers that can house asap plz

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Tournament Schedule

http://srt.ninja-x.jp/info.html said:
SRT 1日目
09:00 - スタッフ入場・会場設営
09:30 - 一般入場・受付開始
10:30 - 受付終了・当日枠調整
10:45 - 開会式 (諸注意など)
11:00 - 予選開始
13:00 - 休憩
13:40 - 休憩終了
18:00 - 予選終了
18:00 - DXトーナメント(予選が終了次第)
22:00 - 1日目終了

SRT 2日目
09:00 - 開場・準備
09:30 - W0
10:00 - W1
10:30 - L1
11:00 - W2 / L2
11:30 - L3
12:00 - W3 / L4
12:30 - L5
13:00 - W4 / L6
13:30 - L7
14:00 - 休憩
14:30 - L8
15:00 - 勝者側準決勝 (WSF)
15:30 - 敗者側準々決勝 (LQF)
16:00 - 敗者側準決勝 (LSF)
16:30 - 勝者側決勝 (WF)
17:20 - 敗者側決勝 (LF)
18:10 - 最終決戦 (GF)
19:00 - ホントの最終決戦 (GF2)
19:50 - イベント終了・表彰式
20:30 - フリー終了・片付け開始
21:30 - SRT終了 / 完全撤収
Day 1

09:00 am - Staff entry/tournament set up
09:30 - Player entry/registration begins
10:30 - Registration ends/Pools made
10:45 - Opening ceremony (Rule Explanation)
11:00 - Pools begin
1:00 pm - Recess
1:40 - Recess ends
6:00 - Pools finish
6:00 - Melee tournament begins (after Brawl pool completion)
10:00 - Day 1 ends

Day 2

09:00 am - Venue opens/Preparations for Day 2
09:30 - Winners Round 0
10:00 - W1
10:30 - Losers Round 1
11:00 - W2 / L2
11:30 - L3
12:00 pm - W3 / L4
12:30 - L5
1:00 - W4 / L6
1:30 - L7
2:00 - Recess
2:30 - L8
3:00 - Winners Semifinals
3:30 - Losers Quarterfinals
4:00 - Losers Semifinals
4:30 - Winners Finals
5:20 - Losers Finals
6:10 - Grand Finals
7:00 - Grand Finals (Set 2)
7:50 - Tournament ends/Awards Ceremony
8:30 - Friendlies end/Cleanup begins
9:30 - SRT ends/Venue closes

---

Venue Information

Venue: Kita-topia, 14F (Canary Hall, Sky Hall)/15 F (Pegasus Hall)
Address: Tokyo, Kita-Ku 1-11-1
Transportation: JR Keihin-Tohoku Line/Tokyo Metro Nanboku Line to Oji Station (2-5 minute walk from the venue)

Pictures:

Canary Hall (14F)
http://www.kitabunka.or.jp/data/sisetu/guide/01kanary1.jpg

Sky Hall (14F)
http://www.kitabunka.or.jp/data/sisetu/guide/02sky1.jpg

Pegasus Hall (15F)
http://www.kitabunka.or.jp/data/sisetu/guide/01pegasus2.jpg

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Either that, or by Winner's Bracket Round 0, he meant the Opening round.
Hm, I think you're right. A 96-man bracket is actually a 128-man bracket with 32 byes, correct? Then in each round of winners bracket, we have:

W0: 128 spots
W1: 64 spots
W2: 32 spots
W3: 16 spots
W4: 8 spots
W5: 4 spots (WSF)
W6: 2 spots (WF)

which is exactly what we see in the schedule.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
i'd be flyin into tokyo

i need any info on the smashers that can house asap plz
This.

I'd like to be here a week or so, ending with the tournament. Would any other smashers like to travel and house together with me?

Seibirk you're lucky to get 900. I'm finding flights for $1100 and up from Boston. @_@

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
This.

I'd like to be here a week or so, ending with the tournament. Would any other smashers like to travel and house together with me?

Seibirk you're lucky to get 900. I'm finding flights for $1100 and up from Boston. @_@
I'm finding 910$RT from JFK airport atm, you could definatly bus to New york and fly fro there. I am sure Around january, flight will be costing MUCH less, so get ready.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I'm finding 910$RT from JFK airport atm, you could definatly bus to New york and fly fro there. I am sure Around january, flight will be costing MUCH less, so get ready.
Hm..
True. I could definitely do that. Only $15 (less if I get the ticket for the bus way ahead of time) to get out there.

I'd still like to travel with at least one other american smasher. I'm aiming for a flight on March 28th (Monday) and returning on April 4th (Monday).

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Will Rain take pre-registration? :confused:
Generally speaking, registration is taken the day of the tourney. However, if RAIN gets a list of entrants beforehand, he will give those entrants priority for registration. Also, it's not confirmed yet, but foreign players may receive free entry to SRT.

Any chance of Smash 64 making an appearance?
There are no plans for a 64 tourney.

I could absolutely save up for this and rep Boston for Melee.

What would any housing situations be like? I can't commit to this without knowing anything like that and I know approximately 0 Japanese smash players.
Free housing will be provided, though there are no specific names of smashers offering housing yet. The Japanese will make all arrangements. They also intend to pick all foreign players up from the airport.

do any of those players know english?

if not will there be SOMEONE to translate?
They'll have translators available.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
well

just cuz i found i flight for 900 doesnt mean that's all im paying.

its 900 OUT OF JFK

i live in miami, so i aint bussin that.

im gona buy my japan ticket asap if it stays at 900, then wait a paycheck/smashtourny or so later to buy my ticket from miami to jfk, which will run me around 150-200 depending on when i get it.

still, its much better than i originally intended on paying, provided prices stay same/similar that is

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I'll try to get my ticket for this as soon as I can.
I gotta grab my ticket to Don't Go Down There Jeff in Cali this Wednesday.

If I save up my paychecks I'll have enough to buy a plane ticket by either November 3rd or November 17th.

I'm pretty excited for this.

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
so like, its always been my dream to go overseas to play smash(since ive never really been outta the EC.)
so ive been thinking about this for a while and think im gonna make the trip!
i need some time to get the money together but i figure this will be SOOOO worth it.
as long as melee happening ill be there reppin pittsburgh! (id say im about 80%)
im dead serious too. this is gonna be my trip of a life time, and i cant wait.
and if the airport/houseing is legit im in. this is gonna make my life.
You only live once right? so lets do this.

strawhats

Smash Master
if i wasn't going to Pound 5...id try and go to this.

Who know's ill see how it goes...I just find highly unlikely i'll be able to go.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Time to start saving money! Maybe I'll be good at this game by the time this rolls around.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Yeah I'll be there to translate. I don't think housing will be a possibility in Tokyo (I'm sure you can ask but...).

Reasoning being, if people have places there, they're probably tiny little places that can't house much. I'd start looking for hotels if I were you guys.

Pro tip: Japan charges for hotels by the person, not by the room. I believe there's also a max number of people per room as well. So everyone would be paying for the same amount, period.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
What constitutes a "bug"? Just want to make sure it doesn't include things like ISJR, though I doubt it would.
(in response to a player's question regarding glitches such as Olimar's ghost pikmin and Sheik's chain jacket)

RAIN said:
オリマーの幽霊ピクミンは基本行為的にできるものではないので問題ないです。
シークの鉄糸舞バグ等は行為でできるものなので、使用不可とさせていただきます。

行為的なバグ=基本は反則負け
自然にできるバグorメリットのないバグ=特に規制なし

基本はバグなのでモラルの問題で、全て使用しない前提でお願いします。

また、バグ関連で一覧が必要だと思いましたので、近いうちに確認して作成します。
Olimar's ghost pikmin glitch is allowed because the player generally has no control over it. Sheik's chain jacket is banned because it is a user-controlled bug that can be knowingly activated by the player.

User-controlled bug: performing player forfeits the game
Naturally occurring bug, or a bug that gives no advantage to the performing player: no penalty

Since bugs can bring up moral issues, as a general rule, assume all bugs are banned.

Since I feel that a list of bugs is necessary, I will make a list soon.

---

For those of you that might want more clarification with regards to the "moral" argument for banning bugs, Vayseth provides further explanation:

Vayseth said:
What he's saying is he isn't a fan of people abusing stuff to the point where it's morally wrong.

Example 1: Chaingrabs are fine. They're in the game. But needlessly chaingrabbing someone to over 999% just to stall the timer is *MORALLY* wrong. You're not even giving the opponent a chance to play if you just eternally chaingrab someone for 10 minutes.

Example 2: You're losing really bad and you perform the glitch with Sheik in order to get a restart of the match. You did it ON PURPOSE so you could get another chance even though you were losing.

So basically he's saying "Because they're BUGS (aka, not meant to be in the game) and they bring up possible issues of bad sportsmanship (like using the sheik bug to restart a match when a sheik player is losing), please assume you cannot use any of them."

Or so I would believe. Many Japanese players seem to have an issue with that too.
---

So at this point, I would assume ISJR is banned, with the caveat that the ban may be removed once that list of banned bugs is made.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
nah

i'm sure melee players in tokyo will house a few ooc'ers (they housed me) and by extension the brawl community probably will too.

and so what if you have to pay for hotel rooms by the person

it's called

2 people check in, then you walk in with them lol

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
No one knows yet. I'm not even sure if Rain is in charge of the melee side, although Koto(Thunders) sent me a message a week or two ago saying we should discuss the ruleset sometime, lol.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
dunno. i've got exams atm, so i haven't been very active or trying to get involved. i finish in a few weeks, so expect regular, proper updates from then on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom