• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The official Pivot Walking (and PW Crouching) thread.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
Is there any way you could swing the momentum for this back and forth with the C-Stick? It'd be like a dash dance, only it would be a...a...DOOP...DANCE.
crazy dashing works like that. Just genly push the control stick back and forth.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Does know if you can use this for true pivots from a foxtrot?

Like, foxtrot, then doop walk for a pivot from foxtrot?

Now that I think of it, true pivoting is done by inputting another dash first... so I dunno.

The thing that makes true pivoting from a foxtrot difficult is that you have barely tap the control stick to return it to a neutral position after an initial dash really quickly. Its kinda hard to do, and I don't ever see anyone incoporating true pivots in their brawl gameplay because of this.

So... could some, try like, foxtrot-> input another foxtrot then really quickly start doopwalk in opposite direction?

If you don't have a shoulder button set to attack, I can see this being difficult to perform, but if you do, it seems like it may work and even be an easier way of performing true pivots.

Also, Havokk, you said you could do this with Wiimote+Nunchuck. How?

Luigi player

Smash Master
Meh, I hope this won't get any useful for anything other than taunting >.<

It looks stupid and it's annoying to do it (you have to change your controls or you have to position your hands in a other way where you can't play normal).

Crow!

Smash Lord
Pivot boosting is the generic name for the useful part (the slide associated with the pivot, which can be used to make an attack slide. Link uses this extensively). Pivot boosted pivots, as shown being spammed in those videos, has gone under various names, my favorite being Waltzing.

Seriously, though, the C-Stick does weird things when it isn't triggering attacks. I didn't know it could trigger a pivot, but I do know it can trigger fast falling and sometimes changes which A attack you use. It's like it has all the properties of the control stick except the ability to move your character.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, bur you CAN still call it that if you want, waffling too, but i chose pivot walking because it is self-explanitory.

Tenki

Smash Hero
mechanics(?)

Seriously, though, the C-Stick does weird things when it isn't triggering attacks. I didn't know it could trigger a pivot, but I do know it can trigger fast falling. It's like it has all the properties of the control stick except the ability to move your character.
Well, it does 'shortcut' the [Tap]+[Attack] input.

If you hold your attack button, it does something weird to that. For example, if you're holding A and have an item in hand and input left/right on the C-stick, you'll charge a forward smash.

Doing a C-sticked D-air makes you fastfall because it's full-tapping downwards (fastfall input).

I suspect that if you're holding A and input C-stick, it somehow overrides the [Attack] portion of the input so it only registers the tap.

Hahaha, wouldn't it be funny if you had it on B-stick and held B and came up with something weird? :laugh:

PS,
I still believe Spinzaku walk is a perfectly fine name for this.

Crow!

Smash Lord
Also, I suggest removing the "New AT" start on the thread name. It makes people come in expecting you to be an idiot. And besides, the AT isn't new, instead the method of inputting the AT is new.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
Also, I suggest removing the "New AT" start on the thread name. It makes people come in expecting you to be an idiot. And besides, the AT isn't new, instead the method of inputting the AT is new.
It might not be anything new to the Link players, but it do other stuff for other character, y'know... And what's wrong with expecting an idiot and getting something good instead? XD

And by the way, doing this with A-sticking or B-sticking only results in jumps.

Ulevo

Smash Master
This, hands down, is the most amusing Advanced Technique ever created.

You win.

Note: This should be the new Shuffle Nair to Wavedash taunt for in between stocks.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
maybe release A before you spin 180 degrees, then dash to what is now forward, and pivot grab normally? At least you can do a pivot dash grab this way

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Easier than pressing z and back at the same time? not really ._.
The back c-stick sometimes gives you a nice little push, rather then completely stopping your momentum to pivot grab. (I still can't really explain this) xD

It's better then a pivot grab, but worse then a boost pivot grab.

Interesting, but I don't know if i'll use it.
At least try it out

You say Yoshi is neutral but can't this leak into advancing pivot grabs?
Not really....

K 2

Smash Lord
This seems like something that can prove to be useful. It will also add a nice twist to any mindgames you might do. I'm going to try this out right now. It looks so sweet.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
=O

Oh snap! it sounds really cool that DK can perform cargo throws more quickly with this... I've got to see a vid XD
Sorry, not making a 6th vid about this stuff xD just try it out.

Grab > Pummel once (hold A afterwards) > Press Forward to start the Cargo > Walk + C-stick (the direction is -slightly- different, otherwise you jump)

Napilopez

Smash Lord
haha no I wasn't asking you to make a vid, you've done enough =].

Lol @ the most interesting development in brawl's metagame in months being so... ridiculous XD.

XienZo

Smash Lord
What if Sakurai PURPOSELY put this AT in the game so the competitive scene would look stupid and he would have won at the end of the day using our own play to win philosophy against us... that would be a pretty epic plan, actually...

Napilopez

Smash Lord
What if Sakurai PURPOSELY put this AT in the game so the competitive scene would look stupid and he would have won at the end of the day using our own play to win philosophy against us... that would be a pretty epic plan, actually...
=O!

Since walking isnt as trip inducing... perhaps this was his way of speaking to the competitive community...find their own way against tripping!

Lolz.

10Sakurais

EDIT:

Has anyone tried a True Pivot with this as I suggested?

The input would likely be Foxtrot-> Initiate second foxtrot but immediate begin Doop Walk in opposite direction.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, not making a 6th vid about this stuff xD just try it out.

Grab > Pummel once (hold A afterwards) > Press Forward to start the Cargo > Walk + C-stick (the direction is -slightly- different, otherwise you jump)
Or:

Shieldgrab (hold A afterwards) > Press Forward to start the Cargo > Walk + C-stick (back I think works)

M15t3R E

Smash Master
This tech would be better if you could buffer moves out of it or have the attacks come out as you're moving like you could with wavedashing in Melee.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
This tech would be better if you could buffer moves out of it or have the attacks come out as you're moving like you could with wavedashing in Melee.
you CAN buffer attacks out of this, and you CAN still attack while you're sliding...

M15t3R E

Smash Master
you CAN buffer attacks out of this, and you CAN still attack while you're sliding...
No, it's not buffering nor attacking as you're moving. You are attacking in between your steps.

Why don't you guys have vids showing how it can be used in battle rather than to go by theory?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I find it more useful for shieldgrabs for people with faster pivot walking

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
No, it's not buffering nor attacking as you're moving. You are attacking in between your steps.

Why don't you guys have vids showing how it can be used in battle rather than to go by theory?
Well, it's kind of annoying to rip a lot of matches, especially because I have to send the replays to my friend for him to get it over to the computor. And yeah, you might not be able to buffer out of this (more than a few frames), but you can attack while still sliding. And if that is not what you mean, then what is it?

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
The rank is just how good the speed of the WP is, not it's usability. The list is far from completed.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
I'll see how it turns out. And why can't he walk-off dair? If it's because of fastfalling, you could just stop PWing right before the ledge...

Top Bottom