• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Silly Kyle Video Archive and Critique Thread

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Well...sort of yes but that isn't always a good thing

You have good 'mix ups' but the problem is that you use them all the time. Stuff like quickly dropping your float, running back and forth, only doing Jab 1, randomly crouching, running up to your opponent and using Toad/grab, dropping down from your float to F Smash, airdodging past instead of attacking...it's good you can think up those things but they should be used sparingly, not as your core gameplay. Ironically, you hardly ever use your Float as a baiting tech because your Peach seems to be wearing brick shoes throughout your games

Sometimes, I feel that you're more hellbent on pulling out something 'technical' and 'confusing' rather than reading your opponent to get damage on them - a lot of the time, you do things twice if you don't get it to work the first time. I'm talking about the really, really unsafe stuff like running up to Ike and using Toad or dropping near him with Peach's poor airspeed and flimsy airdodge and trying grab him. You're constantly trying to pull off high risk things with a character that doesn't get much reward out of doing those things. Peach doesn't have the power or weight to make doing this worthwhile, nor does she have the speed to suddenly approach/escape as a mix up to throw the opponent off guard

Because you're so focused on doing your own thing, I don't feel scared watching your Peach. You don't force any pressure upon your opponent - you should be pressuring your opponent AND THEN installing some fancy stuff in afterwards because it's more likely to work against a pressured opponent

You need to do more 'standard' and 'basic' Peach stuff, like camping with Turnips and using them to cover your approaches (you run away a lot and like to be evasive but you need a Turnip to help cover yourself) and spacing aerials with a combination of Floating and jumping. Watch any other Peach and you'll notice that they all do this and they do it for a reason - because it works

I can't tell if it's because you're trying to mindgame your opponent or if it is just the case but your reaction time could do with a bit of work imo. Watching you, it looks like you're very slow to react to stuff and you get hit by stuff you could have avoided and miss out on punishment opportunities. This really doesn't help you if you're determined to have a confusing playstyle because you won't capitalize on the openings you make

Your defense needs some serious work - you hardly ever throw out any moves to protect yourself when you're running around. Part of what makes Peach great is that she has near lagless aerials and with good spacing they're difficult to punish. Abuse this more

Watch your game 2 vs Ike. Ignore the loss and watch the first part of the match. You dance around a lot and end up losing your first stock in just under a minute. The change in your playstyle is pretty dramatic - you start putting the pressure on Ike with the help of Turnips, well spaced Fairs and decent use of Jab/Dair and for the grand finale, you read Ike's airdodge and Bair him for the kill

I just feel that if you played more like that instead, you'd have a better Peach. You've got the mix ups down but I feel you're making a poor decision to not make your playstyle up with more of the basic stuff that makes up Peach's core gameplay

Like I said in my last post, I advocate people to not always (key word) do obvious/standard Peach stuff and incorporate mix ups into their playstyle but standard for a reason - it is tried and tested and works

As far as general MU stuff goes, camp with Turnips more and Toad Ike when he Aethers, you missed out on a lot of chances to do this and instead got caught up in Aether and got forced onto the ledge/offstage/in a bad position

That's my take on things anyway. I don't think your Peach is bad because you can do some good stuff and occasionally you do - you just choose not to in favour of
I look forward to seeing more vids of your Peach :)
I kinda maybe sorta disagree with this.

Not that he's not evasive or technical. I just see that Illmatic is more aggressive than any Peach I've seen and still knows how to apply the pressure correctly. I've seen Illmatic play in person many times already at more than one tournament. Illmatic doesn't really rely on risky mix ups. I can tell that he does like them, though. Maybe in the set you saw he did it a bit, but other than that he usually spaces his aerials very well and will use the right move in the correct situation (most of the time). This has pretty much brought his Peach a long way. I'm going to say that Illmatic is too aggressive for his own good though. When it comes to a difficult MU( like Marth) he gets ***** by Marths that I can beat.

I'll agree though. Illmatic, you need to severely work on your defensive game. Hell, I'll help you with what I know. I annoyed the hell out of Nike the other time we played at WHOBO.

You should know by now, that Marth is one of those MUs you can't approach that you normally do. You need to bait, be patient and you need to let your opponent come to you.

:peach:

C.S. Dinah

Smash Champion
I kinda maybe sorta disagree with this.

Not that he's not evasive or technical. I just see that Illmatic is more aggressive than any Peach I've seen and still knows how to apply the pressure correctly. I've seen Illmatic play in person many times already at more than one tournament. Illmatic doesn't really rely on risky mix ups. I can tell that he does like them, though. Maybe in the set you saw he did it a bit, but other than that he usually spaces his aerials very well and will use the right move in the correct situation (most of the time). This has pretty much brought his Peach a long way. I'm going to say that Illmatic is too aggressive for his own good though. When it comes to a difficult MU( like Marth) he gets ***** by Marths that I can beat.

I'll agree though. Illmatic, you need to severely work on your defensive game. Hell, I'll help you with what I know. I annoyed the hell out of Nike the other time we played at WHOBO.

You should know by now, that Marth is one of those MUs you can't approach that you normally do. You need to bait, be patient and you need to let your opponent come to you.

:peach:

Hey thanks!

You know that wall was directed at me right?

wow **** you, these are whobo 3. I didn't see you! maybe i talked to you and didn't know it but identify yourself! k ima edit a critique now ._.

edit: dun be careless in the air. just immediately get away or jump airdodge or float away or somethin' b/c ike's uair is stupid.

saw a couple greedy usmashes. if you do it as their landing if they avoid it then you get punished. i think it's better to try it when you anticipate a jump or somethin' b/c if you hit shield or if their on the rise from a jump and you whiff or whatev you can't rly get ***** for it.

a lot of times he waited for you to normal toss or forward glide toss and it paid off for him so be careful with your turnip game b/c a lot of things beat or avoid turnips so ya gotta mix it up or wait more. yah just wait haha.

oh also i you rolled away from situations where you could've *****. namely when ike jumps or double jumps and then you roll away from him. you know all he has left is an aerial or nothing or a airdodge so running behind and pivot grabbing or powershielding (coz he can't mix up the aerial timing anyway b/c it's ike's laggy ***) or reverse glide tossing his landing or whatever. idk, just don't fear him and punish his landings. i think you're just too scared of fair.

yah, that's 'bout it, pretty coo set.
Gonna call out a typo in the description. I didnt go to Whobo3, I went to Hobo31.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOl

Anyways, thanks for backing me up PeachGuard - although it wasn't direted at me haha.

I've learned to back up against Marth btw... I feel as though aggression really plays a strong role in the Falco matchup.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
You know that wall was directed at me right?[/COLOR]

Gonna call out a typo in the description. I didnt go to Whobo3, I went to Hobo31.[/QUOTE]

LMFAOO

No wonder it didn't make any sense.

:dk2:

I haven't seen you play much but I plan to.

Bah, fail.

z00ted

It's good. You just have to really understand everything about your character, not get predictable, and have really good reaction time.

gantrain05

Smash Master
i got a tourney saturday, im gonna win. Yes im always this confident in my abilities. in reality i'll probably lose to joker's snake again cuz he's just a beast, but im betting on a minimum of top 4.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
LMFAOO

Bah, fail.

Rofl

@Dinah - I hope my comments didn't offend you or anything :( Like I said, I don't think your Peach is bad at all, I just think that if you applied pressure more often and worked on covering yourself whilst you're in evasion mode (which you've got down very well, I see hardly anyone incorporating evasive tactics into their Peach) that you'd do better, that's all

So in essence, throw moves out more :p

C.S. Dinah

Smash Champion
Critique is a critique, if you suggest that I should apply pressure and actual defense I'll have to consider doing so :V

Thanks for the critique both you and Raz!

LMFAOO

Bah, fail.

Yep... Time for you to watch my vids.

Two-Ell

Smash Master
turnip smashing is simple. Hold an attack button while Peach is still in another animation with a turnip in hand(like Fair in this instance). While you're holding attack, you can flick the C-stick for an fsmash(obv after that other animation where you began holding attack completes).

Be aware you can't do any other smashes holding attack though

:rosalina:

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
oh coo vid nicole. yeah ur doin' some interesting things like the fair to nair nordalolol has been bugging me about for the past 2 years, and i like some of the float away bairs and the z drop stuff. ur cross-ups are coo too. yeah ur playin pretty solid but i think there were some spots where grabs would've been good in some spots.

anyway it's cool to see ya add some stuff to ya gameplay.

Nicole

Smash Champion
yeah i'm trying to do better things with turnips since i neglect them alot, and cross ups are really great and i didnt used to try them as much. i'm gonna keep playing some other fighters mostly and see what i can do afterwards, because i felt like i played pretty well at yesterday's smashfest and i've hardly touched the game recently.

thanks raz!

z00ted

Dang Nicole!

That was some good stuff.
Only tip I have is to save your fair.. you overused it a bit.

z00ted

Here's a set from my last tournament. I feel like I really played well against Sonic this time around, usually Tesh and I have some somewhat closer games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8arYVC0KDc&feature=channel_video_title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqetdkJoEv8&feature=relmfu

Raz, watch how I predict jumps with fairs after turnips / double slap - that's what I was talking about last night. Also look at the uair to nair frametrap and bair stuff to keep them from approaching.

edit: Comment/Critique please.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
lol@kyle.

and oooh i played tesh in tourney at whobo. he's pretty chill.

but yah coo vids, ya'll got better.

and ill i like what i c. it's a lot more fluid and less stupid. i have thoughts but i'm tired. i was at school from 11 am - 7 pm then smashed from 8 to 3:30 am and barely got home lol.

z00ted

Lots of new videos. :awesome:

I'll definitely watch your videos Redhalberd!

z00ted

it was a friendly

i usually do much better than that ;/
still working on Diddy... I know the matchup it's just that Gnes uses him differently compared to what I know.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Wait.. did illmatic just say. "it was a friendly"??????????

Wow.. I wish I could take you back in time to see yourself.

Btw, that was actually me ****** illmatic. Look at the tag.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
Redhalberd:

- be super careful about floating back to stage at stage height b/c it leaves you open to every spike ever.

- vs marth u need to camp more, u can punish fsmash w/ dash atk, u can prob avoid shield pressure by spotdodging as they're landing (you're smart enough to see the timing of it too depending on if they fastfall or float down).

- work on your punishes. it seems like when you're in doubt u dsmash but learn when u can grab, when u can groundfloat bair, etc.

- try buffering slaps or whatever else to escape stuff like if you spotdodge something a buffered slap will likely stuff whatever they do after your spotdodge.

- you tend to run in and shield as an approach sometimes and it's not that great b/c you're not MK w/ this **** up b oos n stuff. if you run in point blank yah gotta be quick so either grab or dash atk or whatever. or do it farther away idk, just either choose to safely bait or trust your read and interrupt.

- if you don't really find yourself in a position to frametrap or juggle somebody then don't chase them. you can jump around to bait n stuff but you really just wanna harass their landing and keep doing it until you can go crazy with peach's frame traps from uair or w/e else.

- when you get hit by super low knockback **** that barely pops you up and sets up kills (1st hit of mk ftilt, uber weak parts of diddy's dash atk, don't immediately airdodge b/c you most likely still have your jump and your float so you'll be fine and u can go for edge for fight back or sumtin.

- sometimes when you recover w/ up b you probably shud've just stalled w/ your double jump or toad bounce or used up b slightly early or slightly late so ppl can't **** you w/ edgehogs or attacks.

- try other throws. fthrow isn't her best one, bthrow does more dmg, dthrow sets up stuff, uthrow kinda sucks but it's decent and quick.

u play well and your peach is really good for a start. ya just need to work out some things like the fair cancelling and all that. And I did see a couple weird things ima still, the main thing being the catching bananas w/ the airdodge lol.

BTC:

I think you just get impatient. You aren't shielding a lot of easy projectiles and I don't think you're hitting the gaps in the TL's camping well. I feel like you do things backwards. When a projectile is coming at you, you still run in thinking you can shield or you might get hit trying to smack him. Or say he runs at you and instead of stuffing the approach you pull a turnip and get hit. Just pay attention to what he's doing and where he's going. Gotta be gayer, gotta just avoid everything and try to punish his landings, predict his jumps, and idk just be super patient coz it's prob going to time coz TL is so gay.

Battletanx_Commander

Smash Journeyman
BTC:

I think you just get impatient. You aren't shielding a lot of easy projectiles and I don't think you're hitting the gaps in the TL's camping well. I feel like you do things backwards. When a projectile is coming at you, you still run in thinking you can shield or you might get hit trying to smack him. Or say he runs at you and instead of stuffing the approach you pull a turnip and get hit. Just pay attention to what he's doing and where he's going. Gotta be gayer, gotta just avoid everything and try to punish his landings, predict his jumps, and idk just be super patient coz it's prob going to time coz TL is so gay.
Thanks for the critique Razmakazi. Yeah, projectiles are my bane for the most part as well as being over-aggressive at times. :urg:

OverLade

Smash Hero
Redhalberd:

- be super careful about floating back to stage at stage height b/c it leaves you open to every spike ever.

- vs marth u need to camp more, u can punish fsmash w/ dash atk, u can prob avoid shield pressure by spotdodging as they're landing (you're smart enough to see the timing of it too depending on if they fastfall or float down).

- work on your punishes. it seems like when you're in doubt u dsmash but learn when u can grab, when u can groundfloat bair, etc.

- try buffering slaps or whatever else to escape stuff like if you spotdodge something a buffered slap will likely stuff whatever they do after your spotdodge.

- you tend to run in and shield as an approach sometimes and it's not that great b/c you're not MK w/ this **** up b oos n stuff. if you run in point blank yah gotta be quick so either grab or dash atk or whatever. or do it farther away idk, just either choose to safely bait or trust your read and interrupt.

- if you don't really find yourself in a position to frametrap or juggle somebody then don't chase them. you can jump around to bait n stuff but you really just wanna harass their landing and keep doing it until you can go crazy with peach's frame traps from uair or w/e else.

- when you get hit by super low knockback **** that barely pops you up and sets up kills (1st hit of mk ftilt, uber weak parts of diddy's dash atk, don't immediately airdodge b/c you most likely still have your jump and your float so you'll be fine and u can go for edge for fight back or sumtin.

- sometimes when you recover w/ up b you probably shud've just stalled w/ your double jump or toad bounce or used up b slightly early or slightly late so ppl can't **** you w/ edgehogs or attacks.

- try other throws. fthrow isn't her best one, bthrow does more dmg, dthrow sets up stuff, uthrow kinda sucks but it's decent and quick.

u play well and your peach is really good for a start. ya just need to work out some things like the fair cancelling and all that. And I did see a couple weird things ima still, the main thing being the catching bananas w/ the airdodge lol.

BTC:

I really appreciate you posting some helpful things in this matchup. Could you post a couple links to direct places in the video where I can do these things? A lot of your comments could be misleading if I took them at face value. I either need super general or super specific.

For example when I run in to shield I'm predicting fairs, to which I'll shield drop and dash attack punish before the second pair comes out. Same thing goes for shield pressure. I'd rather powershield than spotdodge because if I take the easy way to resist shieldpressure my opponent may start noticing and fastfalling into UpBs/jabs other gay ****.

I appreciate the stalling and other things though, that's really helpful :bee:

Top Bottom