• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UCSB: Another melee tournament, are we cool yet... BEING STREAMED!!!

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
yea mages DQ sounds good

also if any1 wants to vote on pools now we can, i was only goin to do pools since its good for sb and ppl traveling a couple hours (get as much smash as u can)

Lovage

Smash Hero
no pools, best of 5 sets for like...quarters and on up (losers included) if we're running ahead of sched we could make it even more of the matches best of 5.

and if there's only 1 recording setup, TOUGH. only the best matches get recorded and everyone should play their match on a non-recording setup asap if the recording set-up is in use. none of this waiting in line so 4 round 2 losers sets can get recorded.

if you really want vids of yourself online just ask to do a $5 money match with stab and ask him to upload it he probably would!

That's how far SB drives every time but yeah it's good to finish on time. Actually lol I don't think we have a choice. The venue closes up at around 11:30pm.
yes you understand what it's like to get home at 3am and have used 100% of your waking day for smash. bros, it feels awful lol. faster tournaments is something every community in the country should enforce. there's no excuse for slow tournies in 2012 imo.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
id like pools, especially since people are traveling from a ways away

plus we get to play more ppl, i personally would like to play as much of norcal (in tourney) as possible

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
no pools, best of 5 sets for like...quarters and on up (losers included) if we're running ahead of sched we could make it even more of the matches best of 5.

and if there's only 1 recording setup, TOUGH. only the best matches get recorded and everyone should play their match on a non-recording setup asap if the recording set-up is in use. none of this waiting in line so 4 round 2 losers sets can get recorded.

if you really want vids of yourself online just ask to do a $5 money match with stab and ask him to upload it he probably would!

yes you understand what it's like to get home at 3am and have used 100% of your waking day for smash. bros, it feels awful lol. faster tournaments is something every community in the country should enforce. there's no excuse for slow tournies in 2012 imo.
CO-SIGNED

no one's really watching anything but semi-finals on anyway, both IRL and on youtube

and the thing is, it's not like you're missing out on anything

because back in the day when nealdt and champ ran tournies,

we finished early and you got to play friendlies fah daaaayz

THAT'S when you got better as a player

not tournament

Lovage

Smash Hero
baka can you do the community a favor?

when this tournament comes along, and JOEY LEUNG (THE HOST) AND PANELISTS such as myself are making the bracket, please do not butt in and delay the whole thing because you have 20 nitpicks about who plays who.

u do this every tourny i've ever seen you at and it slows everything down and stresses everybody out. just let the vets ****ing handle it dude.

Lovage

Smash Hero
no prob i have total faith in you guys, i always love SB tournies, i just wanted to use this chance to address some socal melee bull****

DanteFox

Smash Champion
Dude I remember when Lovage showed up with TGL and plan 9 to our crappy little high school tournament some years ago and helped us out cuz we had barely any idea what we were doing. That was a fun experience.

When he was playing friendlies with David he would yell out things like "Don't run into my forward smash! Awww you ran into my forward smash...." Total mind **** lol.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
sure lovage, though i think ur exaggerating quite a bit. for one i've only seen you at like 2 locals (including wgf) in the past 5 months. more often then not all i do is look for ppl from same region playing each other and/or help write up the pool sheets. at the last grev, for instance, i didnt even look at the bracket until i had to play a match to see who i was up against.

plus i trust dante and joey, they did a good job running the last sb tourney imo

@caleb that sounds like a nice idea, if it wont slow down anything why not

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
Hey, I have an idea.

How bout you guys stop stressing about running the tournament and trust in us. ;]

also this, after everything I am actually able to host this and trust me i dont take **** lol

ill ask for help or some1s advice, but if i put my foot down its down (obviously i take certains ppl opinion highly, but point remains valid)

Lovage

Smash Hero
this aint no democracy im just being nice lol

and lovage, if i can get pools done quickly (not sure if my word counts for anything tho lol) would u be ok with that?
if the attendance gets pretty big i suppose we gotta do pools, but then we can't do any special bo5 privileges for the early bracket, semi's and up only. but if there's big attendance pools will work way better provided there are lots of TV's and people don't go to eat or any ******** ****.

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
if the attendance gets pretty big i suppose we gotta do pools, but then we can't do any special bo5 privileges for the early bracket, semi's and up only. but if there's big attendance pools will work way better provided there are lots of TV's and people don't go to eat or any ******** ****.
all right cool, that was my original plan, and thats why im doing mages dq rule

also is every1 most likely eating at freebirds?

CableCho57

Smash Lord
you guys should hit up freebirds. its the go to place for tourists visiting SB. (although Super Cucas is better imo)

and this is the original one, not like the crappy low quality imitations in Orange County and Ventura. Those dont even have the secret menu items

CableCho57

Smash Lord
they arent that much of a secret I guess, but one is the queso-rito, basically a quesadilla opened up then wrapped like a burrito. then theres the queso-nacho-rito where they add tortilla chips into the burrito too.
i've heard things about a tostado bowl, but i'm not too sure about that one

baka4moé

Smash Champion
that sounds really good. ive had freebirds before but i havent heard of those secret items. how far/close is it from the venue?

CableCho57

Smash Lord
its like a 5 min walk from the venue.

another cool thing for the nachos is you can ask for the topping separate from the chips and use it like a dip. less messy and easier to share with someone else (nachos are huge and youre gonna want to share anyway)

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I never use the Mages' DQ rule. Instead I make people pay more money to enter if they're late. I find it works pretty well, cause people know they don't get DQ'd since nobody really wants that to happen, but they do know that TOs have no problem charging them extra for inconveniencing others.

Freebirds is great. What's the best pizza place in IV nowadays? I used to go to Giovanni's or Woodstock's.

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
I never use the Mages' DQ rule. Instead I make people pay more money to enter if they're late. I find it works pretty well, cause people know they don't get DQ'd since nobody really wants that to happen, but they do know that TOs have no problem charging them extra for inconveniencing others.
This is the smartest thing ever. What's the extra fee per hour rate?

unknownPresence

Smash Ace

Freebirds is great. What's the best pizza place in IV nowadays? I used to go to Giovanni's or Woodstock's.
wait is my understanding of the mages dq rule wrong, bc those two things dont rlly hav to do with one another...

Lovage

Smash Hero
mage's dq rules and such things can be effective if the TO is a known enforcer, but generally local tournaments don't need such an iron fist and will usually opt for way more lax rules.

how about people just use their brain and don't go to get food or pick people up right before their singles pools begins.

lol, honestly i've been guilty of this just as much as the next guy, i just want all of us overall to become better at participating/running tournaments so smash could be a real hobby for people as they start become adults and ****.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
being an iron fist *****

it's annoying cuz there are always those guys in tournament who:

- lose and don't report their match cuz they're salty
- sit behind a tournament match for it to finish so they can immediately play friendlies after

(ben / "scott pilgrim" does both these things and it's really lame)

it's unfortunate that in this society people can't sit still for more than one minute at a time. they gotta go wander off, check their cell phones, go to the bathroom 20 thousand times (sup baka).

one of my biggest tourny pet peeves is how long it takes people to select a counterpick. we need to put a time limit on that ****!

if you're not yelping you're not doing it right:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/freebirds-world-burrito-isla-vista

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
I heard Canada goes until midnight for 20-30 man tourneys, lol....

Other regions have it worse than us. At my tourneys, I keep a mental of note of which players tend to lag/not report. I keep a loose eye on them and make sure they give me results 20 minutes after I first call their match.

Most people in Norcal are chill though and will ask if they can go to eat, take breaks, etc... before they actually do it. Is socal really that bad at keeping time?

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
it's mostly illogical to bring setups when carpools are already about as full as can be. i personally won't because i have to bus it just to meet up with my carpool. i can bring a cube and a power strip (the latter of which you claimed you won't need).

but even then most of my space is going towards trying to bring as much food as possible. eh, i dun even know if i have a sleeping bag somewhere.

Is socal really that bad at keeping time?
it's brutal, dude. first off, tournaments never start on time. secondly, no one ever helps run the tournament. i try to do my part but at a certain point i want to play people to get better. so when matt's off playing tournament matches no one's really doing anything.

tvs are rarely numbered. people only care about their part in the bracket so if X and Y play and Y wins, Z goes to play Y but X and Y don't report the outcome of the match. X might lose and go outside to eat/pout/be consoled. but since everybody knows everybody no one (aside from myself, but i'm not the TO and i didn't get permission from the TO so i'm not all gung-ho myself) is really going to DQ you.

and it's not just randoms. the best players in the region have repeatedly held tournaments hostage because they were running late. instead of starting the tournament we wait on them.

or while we're waiting on them TOs don't collect the money of everyone who IS t here and create a bracket of who IS there. they just play friendlies forever until everyone's there and THEN they finally start everything. or people are allowed to wander from their pools.

teams is particularly troublesome because there are so few teams that there's no reason it should take long. but people taking forever with counterpicks or stage striking or bans, or leaving their partners to go play friendlies, is a big cause of lag. and then you tell people there's a tourny match and they're like "omg lemme finish this match, let me finish this stock." hey dude, this is non-negotiable, don't make me turn it off. then they make me turn it off and i'm the ****. oh wait, now we have to find a memory card to get the input data back. why don't you just get off the tv asap and stop being selfish?

it's absurd

i'm not saying every single one of these things happens at every tournament but that in general this is a persistent pattern that has been around ever since brawl came out.

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
That sucks =/.

Glad you are taking bits of initiative to appease the situation.
I'm spoiled up here.

Sheridan, PockyD, Scar, Violence, and many other players help me run the tournament, so that matches are being consistently called. Sheridan is actually quite the enforcer and will ensure that not too many friendlies aren't being done after a tournament match.

Aside from a *few* people (Dajuan cough cough), most come fairly on time or call me in advance to let me know their plan. Sheridan's late fee rule helps enforce punctuality, since we all know that smashers are broke.

The Oxy tourney seemed to be well-run when I was there last time, but it seems like there is a strong sense of entitlement among tourney-goers, and the TOs are bending over backwards for them, creating an unfortunate tourney experience.

Lovage

Smash Hero
agreed. not gonna lie, unless it was a good or hype match, if you don't immediately reset the match and unplug your controller when someone tells you they have tournament, you are a **** that's all there is to it.

i always ask nicely when people are playing friendlies and there's a match to be played, but 20% of people will act pissed that i'm interrupting their match and moan about a last stock. pu$$ies.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Don't you understand that it's really important to see how their tertiary characters do against one another???

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
heh, in the beginning i'd let people play their 1 stock or w/e but it took all of one, maybe two tournaments for me to lose that patience b/c people then tried to push it even more

D

Deleted member

My car: me, lovage, MANGO, lucky(?) want to go ideally on friday night and chill with norcal

Is it possible for us to hang/sleep with them? Or if u can't house us for the night, where can we sleep that is close by?

let me know ASAP , AIM: hailikefood

D

Deleted member

also, if theres an established place then scar wants to come chill with us too if that is ok

Top Bottom