• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wobbling Compromise

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I see you're still a useless spammer :ohwell:
From time to time. In retrospect your post was no more informative than mine.

I think it was worthless spammer tho. dont remember.

this thread really just needs to close, or change the title to convince reneblade wobbling is ok.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Whaat. I start my wobbles pretty freakin fast and I have had Zhu mash out at 40+.

EDIT: I love how "PEEF doing okay" at POE3 has become a talking point against wobbling. My playstyle is punish spacing + get grabs. That means that most all of my kills will be through grabs. Talk to Kirkq who was convinced that it would make little-to-no difference whether I wobbled or not because my grab game was solid enough anyway.

pockyD

Smash Legend
the MBR is more like a think tank than a governing body

people are chosen for admission based on their ability to come up with, process, develop, and respond to ideas

at the same time, it does not hold any real power; as has already been mentioned, the only 'power' it holds is by the respect it commands based on the thought that goes into its recommendations

should it be transparent? I personally think yes, for the most part (there are certain parts, such as member nomination, that should definitely remain private because people will cry about getting their feelings hurt). at the same time, a large reason it isn't transparent is to maintain the front of unity that is established when the mbr DOES come up with a recommendation; refuted arguments that stay visible do nothing but distract from the ultimate conclusion

but frankly, there's not consistent activity in there anyway; it tends to come and go in waves

Wobbling is gay because it creates a massive skew in the skill level of mid to high (but not top) level players. ICs don't even need wobbling to kill you from a grab, all it does is allow newbs to kill you off of a single grab

prime example: peef making it into brackets of poe3 wobbling nearly every stock of his tournament
edit-i don't care about this argument and am unsubbing so don't bother trying to get me to respond
double edit-keep in mind that getting a grab is EASY, and not getting grabbed is HARD, not the other way around.
Why does the ability to consistently land synced grabs and utilize wobbling 8 stocks a set not count as "skill" to you?

anyway it's fairly obvious you don't care because you clearly didn't put any thought into your post

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
question:

would people be against grab infinites if a really horrid character like ness, yoshi, or pichu had one?

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
I think the reason people are so against Wobbling is because in Smash, you always have an option to DO something when you're getting hit to prevent further hits or lessen the damage. When you are wobbled, you have nothing you can possibly do to escape and you are at the mercy of the ICs player 100%. Smash isn't that type of game, so the players see it as a problem because it's not commonplace.

Look at MvC2, they get infinited all day and night and they don't care, because once you get hit in that game you lose control until the end of the combo or the other person messes up. There is no DI or teching to help get away, you just get ragdolled around.

kirkq

Smash Ace
Talk to Kirkq who was convinced that it would make little-to-no difference whether I wobbled or not because my grab game was solid enough anyway.
Man, PEEF is inviting me to talk about him. Nothing makes my day brighter. :)

Clarifications: I didn't get here by namesearching. **** namesearching.

Be it 5 hits or 5 seconds, the concept of a 'wobbling limit' is not good for competitive play. This is a competitive community, and people want a numerical limit on how annoyingly you should play? Let's go play brawl, as was stated. It is really hard to monitor and enforce a rule like this. I hit him 6 times, I wobbled him 6 seconds. People would just push the limit, and this would only cause issues at tournaments. Basically, (at an extreme) a reputable witness would need to be available to spectate every match an ice climbers player played in.

A ruleset compromise for local use might be okay, but I'd never trade the ability to counterpick ice climbers for a free win. I'm also always a promoter of the Gentleman's Rule where two players can agree to stake the set however the **** they want (giving respect to time constraints).

Wobbling is gay because it creates a massive skew in the skill level of mid to high (but not top) level players.
I actually think this just applies to ice climbers' grab game as a whole. Some kid who has never been to a tournament could sit at home and practice wavedashing around and killing the computer out of a grab every time and apply the same thing at a tournament. It absolutely sucks, but that's how it works. This is not true with any other character. You'd just get wrecked spamming consistent tech skill.

From my experiences everyone sucks at fighting against ice climbers these days. I find it obscenely dangerous to risk an approach. I play my falco against ice climbers only from the top platform. My tech is really inconsistent, and they may still only get one grab per set. There isn't **** ice climbers can do to get an advantage over falco while he is dancing around on platforms. Sure it's really annoying, but so is getting grabbed by ice climbers. I consider this a 'fair' game to play. Most members of the community are determined to approach the opponent. I think if you are risking getting grabbed against a character bent on getting a grab, then you are playing the matchup suboptimally. If we are discussing the "highest level of play", then please don't include your preferences to handicap yourself by not playing as annoyingly and conservative as possible.

As I've stated before, even with wobbling and even with broken grabs fox, falco, and marth are vastly superior to ice climbers in every way. I can't see how the community wants to ban something that makes a high tier character slightly more viable.

You're all just upset that mediocre mid level ice climbers players are beating you. Go practice mashing out of grabs and camping.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I just think people need to stop whining and learn how to space. Maybe learn to play someone that counterpicks IC's or something.

Magus420

Smash Master
Whaat. I start my wobbles pretty freakin fast and I have had Zhu mash out at 40+.
HOLY **** MASH OUT. I have grabbed people who were good at mashing before and they break out before I can even do a grab attack, at like 50 percent. A perfectly sync'ed grab that would have led to an infinite and I don't even get the opportunity to hit a joystick direction. But people are in the habit of DI'ing and they never mash. I already get like 1 wobble-worthy grab per game at most against good players, I'd hate to think what would happen if they learned to hit more buttons. I'm honestly amazed people never realized that this was viable. I get a grab and people just sit there doing nothing, waiting for death. I almost want to pause the match and tell them, "you know hitting buttons gets you out of grabs faster right?"
As a somewhat proficient masher myself I was interested in finding out more about escaping. Here's some stuff:

When hit by an attack that does less than 6.00% you go into CaptureDamage which is 20 frames long + added frames from hitlag. You can only break if you are able to finish CaptureDamage and go into CaptureWait. Fresh headbutt and f-tilt (on someone in a grab) add 3 frames of hitlag while d-tilt adds 2. When staled the headbutt and tilt may add 1 less frame of hitlag depending on how stale it is.

If you headbutt immediately after landing the grab they have 12 frames for inputs to mash out before the headbutt hits/CaptureDamage starts. Any inputs after those 12 won't matter unless they leave CaptureDamage.

To maintain the CaptureDamage lock after an immediate headbutt, Nana's tilt needs to hit on the 36th frame or earlier within the grab hold. To do that you can input an f-tilt on 25 or earlier if within close range, otherwise frame 24 or sooner if full range is needed to reach (it hits up close before the hammer extends). D-tilt needs to be input on 23 or earlier since it's slightly slower.

Nana's standing grab lag normally prevents inputting the tilt until frame 23, so with an immediate headbutt the f-tilt can be input on 23-25 and d-tilt can only be done on 23. If the headbutt is delayed 1 frame they have 13 frames for escape inputs, f-tilt can be input 23-26, and d-tilt 23-24. If delayed 2 frames they have 14 to escape, f-tilt 23-27, d-tilt 23-25, etc. On that note, to me it seems like f-tilt wobble is superior to d-tilt in almost every way. More damage (fewer reps), more hitlag (locks longer so more room for error), comes out faster (easier to get started faster from grab), and IASA is 1 frame sooner (closer to grab attack's duration). D-tilt has slightly more horizontal range though.

With absolute frame perfect mashing, an immediate headbutt (12 frames to mash out) into wobble is escapable until they get to 61%+. To put that ridiculous mashing speed into perspective, it's not possible to get even 2 grab attacks in until they are 251%+ (they break out before the 2nd one hits).

Now against actual humans, I'd estimate that an immediate headbutt into wobble shouldn't be mashable starting around 25%+ with the very very best players at mashing and them also having enough forewarning that they are going to get grabbed so that they are already at "top speed" as the grab connects. Against normal people it would probably be more like 15%+ with full warning. If they didn't expect to get grabbed at the time or realize it a bit late and start mashing after the grab connects it would most likely work on anyone at or close to 0%+.
Actually, I think I was slightly overestimating how fast it's possible to mash out. I did some testing of how fast I could mash out at those percents. You only have 12 to mash if you start right away.

Magus' High Scores :bee:
15% ... Best: 11 frames; Average: ~16
25% ... Best: 17 frames; Average: ~20

My second best at 15% was 13, so I was only able to pull it off in 12 or fewer frames once out of about a dozen or so tries. It's probably more like 18-20% or so for the very best players, and around 8-10% for most people. Almost definitely at 0% regardless of the player if they start a bit late.

If Taj is escaping in the 20%+ range with any amount of consistency let alone until late into his stock I'm quite sure that's due to waiting a bit before getting it started than him being a robot.
Basically, you can start it right when the grab connects (0 delay), and if you do it leaves only a very tiny window to mash out (12 frames). I consider my speed and technique for mashing out of grabs to be very good, and I would only have hope to escape an instawobble in the 10-15% area and below, and that's only if I know I'm gettting grabbed well beforehand to already be mashing like crazy when the grab comes out. If I didn't fully expect to be grabbed at the time it would work at 0%.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
I think the reason people are so against Wobbling is because in Smash, you always have an option to DO something when you're getting hit to prevent further hits or lessen the damage. When you are wobbled, you have nothing you can possibly do to escape and you are at the mercy of the ICs player 100%.
Like Magus said, you can mash out. You can also yell really loudly and disrupt them.

@Magus: What's the best way to mash out? Just press all the buttons? Turn both sticks 360 degrees over and over while pressing whatever other buttons you can? etc. And yeah, I agree that people don't mash out enough. At a grab at 0% with some of my friends, I can usually get a hit or two in (non-ICs) and then successfully throw them. That shouldn't be happening, lol. I mean, a quick throw is always good since you can catch them off-guard and they might not DI, but extra % is always good.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Magus just said that you can't really mash out if they do it properly. Haha
no he didn't. he said if you are god tier at mashing probably 18-20 avg joe 8-10.

you need to be prepared for it though.

that also is if the wobbler is doing it perfectly as well. if wobbles is getting mashed out at decent percent then its worth a try.

getting out is somewhat reasonable.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
nintendude, im not trying to make this personal, but i have already told you what i think makes wobbling wobbling.
I'm not sure why you are calling me out all of a sudden (I read the other thread too) when I haven't been pointing fingers. I asked specifically for that guy's opinion because I wanted a TO's opinion on the matter. Back off.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
My stand: Let 'em go, lol.
I personally don't care, but the comparisons being made to Jiggs and Fox irked me. Wobble if you want. (put me down for I don't care? or Pro....lol)

I play Peach so I say this: "Screw the rules, I have Dsmash!!"

--------------------------------
Get grabbed above 40% and you're screwed, enough said.

1 or 2 seconds of wobbling exists...then they usually end it with ice breath, or Dthrow -> Dair, or something to that effect. Things that most people can't escape from, anyway. It's not just about proper spacing, because an ICs player of good enough skill will get the grab in, anyway.

The Jiggs argument is invalid:

Also...messing up a Rest does NOT equal messing up a wobble, because you can still actually throw before they can manage to mash out. Jiggs missing a rest can = Death. Also, I've survived rest twice on one stock. DI FTW. Also survived Uthrow -> Rest with Fox.....so yeah....and Jiggs still is amazing without Rest. Also, rest requires set-up, spacing, and can be shielded.

The Fox argument:

As much as I hate Fox, the Shine can be shielded, dodged, and punished for being messed up. (Chaingrabs, yay!!!!)

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
And grabs can be dodged and punished for messing up (YAY NANA's terrible AI!)

See, I can point out flaws in very powerful techniques too :p

john!

Smash Hero
I have the most idiotic Nana in the entire world. She will stand there over the edge as I try to ledgehog Falcon, and he'll just yesz her over and over and eventually recover for free. She will also stand at the edge of the stage when I'm recovering, and get Falcon Punched without moving a muscle, and die. She is, for all intents and purposes, a ragdoll. I never wobble because I know that she will **** it up, somehow.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
I have the most idiotic Nana in the entire world. She will stand there over the edge as I try to ledgehog Falcon, and he'll just yesz her over and over and eventually recover for free. She will also stand at the edge of the stage when I'm recovering, and get Falcon Punched without moving a muscle, and die. She is, for all intents and purposes, a ragdoll. I never wobble because I know that she will **** it up, somehow.
My Nana can be pro sometimes. She d-smash'd once early in a game before I even inputted any kind of downward direction, lol. And it hit the dude.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
And grabs can be dodged and punished for messing up (YAY NANA's terrible AI!)

See, I can point out flaws in very powerful techniques too :p
However, it's no different from anybody else's grab. We all know the penalty of messing up a grab. It seems, however, that comparing them to moves that can be SHIELDED and DI'ed is a bit out of place. *shrugs* doesn't matter, though. I'm just pointing out something which kind irked me. Comparing a grab to a physical attack is off to me.

Besides....I already said I didn't care. Give them their Wobbling. *shrugs*

Ballistics

Smash Champion
OK I think every kind of opinion has been heard, what I'd like everyone to do is post their final opinion if your still subscribed and your opinion has changed or if you just want to add your final thought, and then somebody close this thing.

I started as wanting a compromise but now I see its just ridiculous. No ban.

OK I think every kind of opinion has been heard, what I'd like everyone to do is post their final opinion if your still subscribed and your opinion has changed or if you just want to add your final thought, and then somebody close this thing.

Ok, my final thoughts:

Peef, your great compromise is too complicated and unenforceable. There shouldn't be any character specific rules to promote fairness. It's too complicated for new players to understand the game. The tilt limit is a bad idea because it's easy to unnoticeably to go beyond the tilt limit by a limited amount. The counter pick idea removes the counter pick game for the opposing player, which would be unfair. If Rainbow cruise is too terrible of a stage for them, just ban Rainbow cruise in the tournament rules. It's not much of a stage for fighting as it is an obstacle course to play tag on. Ice Climbers have difficulty on Brinstar when split, and as certain characters, splitting Brinstar is easy. Ice Climbers can easily ban it. What's their next biggest fear? I honestly don't know because the other counter pick stages don't seem to have anything that hurts Ice Climbers much at all. Except Jungle Japes, which should stay banned. Move the legality of that stage discussion to a different topic.

pro-wobblers, you're legit, and you have common sense. Ice Climbers aren't top tier, Ice Climbers with wobbling aren't top tier, Ice Climbers with wobbling aren't a problem if stalling can easily be solved. You are also smart enough to realize that getting a grab with Nana alive and next to you isn't always easy to set up which limits/prevents its brokenness, thus balancing out how good wobbling practically is.

Everyone including anti-wobblers, accept the way things are in Melee. Wobbling is a part of Ice Climbers that they need to compete closer to a higher level. Do you really want Melee to be reduced to Fox, Falco, and Captain Falcon, or is promoting better character balance the better path? Seeing and playing the same stuff repetitively will get stale fast. Also, do you want someone else to prevent/limit your success at this game? The non-wobble Ice Climber chain grabs are really difficult to learn and are very escapable when the slightest mistakes are made. We should be encouraging players to play this game their way and we shouldn't be insulting anyone for not looking cool while they're winning or even just playing the game. If we do that, we're killing our own community. Even though we're already slowly dying.

So yeah, Wobbling should be legal until 200%.

john!

Smash Hero

DGG

P2W

/thread

edit: ok to clarify... there are no sufficient reasons to nerf a character that isn't even among the top 5 in the game. when a new technique arises, it is up to the one who want it banned to provide an adequate, objective reason why it should not be allowed. such a reason has not been provided. not only is wobbling already unbanned by the mbr, but unbanning it in tournament will contribute to character balance by making a decent character a bit better. wobbling is neither overpowered nor inherently unfair; the common practice of banning it at tourneys has only persisted for so long due to the lack of ic players. hopefully this thread has exposed the anti-wobbling stance's lack of substance, and future to's will consider removing their bans on wobbling in the interest of openness and fairness.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
I think wobbling being a legal technique would be interesting for the metagame, and to promote more diversity and skill within the community, is good for us as a community.

Я думаю, что вобблинг в качестве юридической техники бы интересно для Метагейм)), и содействовать более разнообразия и навыков в рамках общины, это хорошо)))

:)

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
Im for wobbling tbo. But i think there really should be a compromise (like no wobbling first game, if ICs lose they can wobble next game)

Top Bottom