• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fund Dr Peepee to Smashers' Reunion(Norway): Current Status- Paying dudes back

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Ok, next person who posts promising to donate more than $5 (and does it!) will determine the amount of money that I myself donate. I'll look at the time stamp so the dollar amount will be the hour, and the cents will be the minutes.

Shout outs to 12:59.

Edit: I'm in the Pacific Time Zone.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Well played, Battlecow, well played.

You even donated $7.41 to make sure his donation + yours would add up to a perfect 20 dollars LOL you

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Too bad America is still in the medieval ages and doesn't know about the 24h clock.
I'm having more issues with this

/U.S. diss

Chipped in a bit

E:

One thing I wanted to say about Norway,
everything there is hella expensive so I hope you get s'money

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
More like...

Can't decide which one is worse. US has correct order when the year is left out, "ours" is consistent but reversed.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
The 24h clock is awesome. I switched to it as soon as I found out it existed.

Also, I'd rather have the calendar be consistent.

Then again, I grew up with that calendar, so I'm biased.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
The 24h clock is awesome. I switched to it as soon as I found out it existed.

Also, I'd rather have the calendar be consistent.

Then again, I grew up with that calendar, so I'm biased.

And then again, me and ajp are not biased at all, rather we are right about this issue.

I don't understand why years should be first though ajp, day is the most relevant thing and changes most frequently.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
If you do a lexicographical order on some stuff that starts with a date (or at least has it as the first difference between every two terms) you'll get the chronological order.
Enough reason for me to prefer year-month-day.

I guess I don't really have to state that month-day-year doesn't make any sense at all, do I? :D

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
I don't understand why years should be first though ajp, day is the most relevant thing and changes most frequently.
Well I don't know about you, but I write a hundred as 100 and not 001...
And my current time is 22:22:22... bad example =). But hours usually come first, followed by minutes.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Well I don't know about you, but I write a hundred as 100 and not 001...
And my current time is 22:22:22... bad example =). But hours usually come first, followed by minutes.
Well I don't know about you but I read from left to right

25 (days) / 3 (months) / 2012 (years)

Battlecow

Play to Win
Does it matter? Once you get used to it, it's just as intuitive.

It's like metric vs. imperial. One's as good as the other.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Actually, I think metric *is* better simply because it's easier to convert between units.
I also think Celsius is better than Fahrenheit, because it's extremely practical that water freezes at 0 degrees. The boiling point isn't that important TBH, I would prefer water freezing at 0 and -100 or some easy number being absolute zero.
While we're at it, let's redefine a second into 100'000'th of a day. Easy to use, not far from what it is today. 100s per min, 100min per hour, 10 hours per day.
Or why not just switch to base 12 or 16 instead of 10.

There's so much "wrong" with the standards we use today, and there's no way to fix them. The best we can do is try to have the same standards everywhere and get this thread back on track =).

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
And 25/3/2012 is the equivalent of saying 001 = a hundred. Smallest first, largest last.
Not really. 25/3/2012 is a date. 001 is a number, usually referring to "1" instead of "100".
If you flip 100 around it becomes 001, in other words "1". However if you flip the date around it doesn't change. 25/3/2012 = 2012/3/25, just more awkward to read.
What practical use is it to read years and months before days? I understand that you view this issue from the mathematical perspective. In some cases putting the years and months before days would be useful, e.g. archiving, but I'm talking about everyday use of dates, e.g. calendar.

This debate is futile, but hey, it's ajp.

th0rn

Smash Lord
( Didn't read thread >___> )

If PP wins the whole tourney, he's paying us back, right?

Or is he pocketing the money?

Grape Ape

Smash Apprentice
Actually, I think metric *is* better simply because it's easier to convert between units.
I also think Celsius is better than Fahrenheit, because it's extremely practical that water freezes at 0 degrees. The boiling point isn't that important TBH, I would prefer water freezing at 0 and -100 or some easy number being absolute zero.
While we're at it, let's redefine a second into 100'000'th of a day. Easy to use, not far from what it is today. 100s per min, 100min per hour, 10 hours per day.
Or why not just switch to base 12 or 16 instead of 10.

There's so much "wrong" with the standards we use today, and there's no way to fix them. The best we can do is try to have the same standards everywhere and get this thread back on track =).
American Here. Metric is way better. why?
3 teaspoons in a tablespoon. 2 tablespoons in an ounce. 8 ounces in a cup. 2 cups in a pint, 2 pints in a quart. 4 quarts in a gallon.
12 inches in a foot, three feet in a yard, 1760 yards in a mile.
metric: 10 any unit in 1 any unit +1 power of ten.

the power of ten is mad easy to multiply by and why the metric system is better. Celsius is better for science as well, Fahrenheit is good for everyday weather though, since the range of temperatures in weather is ~32 to ~100 (around here) which is ~0 to ~38, and the higher resolution allows for a bit more precision.

LLDL

Smash Hero
( Didn't read thread >___> )

If PP wins the whole tourney, he's paying us back, right?

Or is he pocketing the money?
He said he would pay whatever winnings he makes back.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
3 teaspoons in a tablespoon. 2 tablespoons in an ounce. 8 ounces in a cup. 2 cups in a pint, 2 pints in a quart. 4 quarts in a gallon.

the power of ten is mad easy to multiply by and why the metric system is better. Celsius is better for science as well, Fahrenheit is good for everyday weather though, since the range of temperatures in weather is ~32 to ~100 (around here) which is ~0 to ~38, and the higher resolution allows for a bit more precision.
Isn't the added precision pretty much wasted? I personally don't give a **** whether it's 5 or 10 ° Celsius already.
Plus it is perfectly acceptable to say 17.5 ° Celsius, if you really care enough (:

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Thought this discussion was dead already...
Celsius already has enough precision, 1.8 times more isn't necessary, and decimals do exist. Water freezing at 0 is way more practical, plus it boils at 100 in case you find that useful.

Novice: If you think of dd/mm/yy just being a collection of numbers, then the order wouldn't matter, but as you already went on bashing on Americans for their order, obviously it matters. They aren't independent, and yy > mm > dd in the same way that hh > mm > ss. I don't see how ymd is more difficult to read than dmy or anything else, but if you think the year isn't necessary, just skip it.
At least Sweden uses ymd on most "official" documents =).

stelzig

Smash Lord
If you actually add in hours and minutes to a date and speak it out, you still say minutes before hours though. So it wouldn't exactly be weird to reverse the order on a clock either. Just thought i'd point that out, lol. Like, if you talk directly about how much time has passed or will pass, you use the "correct" order, but when you're talking dates and what time it is, you reverse it.
(You'd probably still say the time of the day after what day it is though :p)

Edit: Come to think of it, I suppose people also sometimes just say the numbers when telling the time and then use your so called "correct" order again. Not very common in my language though.

Battlecow

Play to Win

When have you ever been seriously inconvenienced by American measurements? The difference it makes to your life is almost immeasurably small. It simply does not matter, and yet people still get worked up about how much "better" metric is. Imperial = Metric.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Say you have accumulated a distance of 2000 inches in some scenario. How many yards is that?
When I see 3853 centimeters, I instantly know it's 38.53 meters. I don't need to think about this, and I certainly don't need a calculator or pen and paper. How can this be not "better" than the imperial system?

I enjoy living in Germany, but Sweden is giving me more and more incentive to move there :D

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Novice: If you think of dd/mm/yy just being a collection of numbers, then the order wouldn't matter, but as you already went on bashing on Americans for their order, obviously it matters. They aren't independent, and yy > mm > dd in the same way that hh > mm > ss. I don't see how ymd is more difficult to read than dmy or anything else, but if you think the year isn't necessary, just skip it.
I explained the difference between dates and numbers. Why are you comparing dates and hours now? The order does matter obviously, also to you. Not because I would have "bashed" anyone, but because of practicality and habit. Already explained why dd/mm/yy is easier for me, but I see your logic. As I stated, one practical application of ymd would be archiving.

I enjoy living in Germany, but Sweden is giving me more and more incentive to move there :D

Sweden is ahead in many things

http://kopimistsamfundet.se/english/

VA

Smash Hero
I think you should stop talking about this. It's the "FUNd PP to Europe" not "Put him off by being boring nerds". Stop please.

Grape Ape

Smash Apprentice
When have you ever been seriously inconvenienced by American measurements? The difference it makes to your life is almost immeasurably small. It simply does not matter, and yet people still get worked up about how much "better" metric is. Imperial = Metric.
it's annoying as hell when im trying to convert **** while cooking.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
The reason we don't use y/m/d is because a year is a year long...you generally know what year it is unless you have been under a rock for a decade, so the information isn't as pertinent at first glance. Same thing to a lesser extent with the month. When someone checks the date, the day is generally the most important part.

When it comes to h/m/s in time, the seconds are the least important because it changes so often; by the time you've checked the seconds, it's changed. Because seconds are inherently last, I guess it makes sense to simply order the others in ascending value after that.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
everybody knows that flopmerican ways of measuring **** is ********, inconvenient and stupid. the metric system not being incorporated makes just about as much sense as not having socialized medicine and having drug companies and insurance companies controlling who gets medical care.
now lets go back to funding pp. i might chip something in, but i tend to waste money on random stuff like lego, vitamins and books. ill try though.

Top Bottom