• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Takes more than one to make a League: Other Pokemon Trainers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpatialPSI

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regent_EX
3DS FC
1091-7941-1344
How about a Pokemon Ranger as a character? Technically they still carry Pokemon with them, and I think that having a different type of trainer can work without making it a clone of the existing trainer.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
How about a Pokemon Ranger as a character? Technically they still carry Pokemon with them, and I think that having a different type of trainer can work without making it a clone of the existing trainer.
He/She's not a Pokemon trainer! He should be on the Less Then Likely Pokemon Character Thread

D

Deleted member

Rangers are still within the same category. And by technicality, discussion of a 2nd Trainer within itself should be in the "Less Than Likely Pokemon Character" thread, as a 2nd Trainer is less than likely as well.

So enough.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Rangers don't use Pokemon to fight other pokemon. They borrow wild pokemon to help them either rescue pokemon or save pokemon altogether. Its like calling Rosalina a princess

:phone:

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Rangers don't use Pokemon to fight other pokemon. They borrow wild pokemon to help them either rescue pokemon or save pokemon altogether.

Peach doesn't fight Bowser. Mario needs a fireflower to shoot a fireball. Bowser doesn't transform into Giga Bowser. Before Melee, neither Fox, Falco, or Captain Falcon were never seen fighitng outside of their vehicles in a game (Falcon STILL hasn't). Sonic can't make a spring magically appear under his feet.

BUT THEY ALL DO IT IN SMASH. So... your point? :rolleyes:

And what Golden said. Talk of a second Pokemon Trainer belongs in the other thread anyway.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Peach doesn't fight Bowser. Mario needs a fireflower to shoot a fireball. Bowser doesn't transform into Giga Bowser. Before Melee, neither Fox, Falco, or Captain Falcon were never seen fighitng outside of their vehicles in a game (Falcon STILL hasn't). Sonic can't make a spring magically appear under his feet.

BUT THEY ALL DO IT IN SMASH. So... your point? :rolleyes:

And what Golden said. Talk of a second Pokemon Trainer belongs in the other thread anyway.
The thing is that the Pokemon Ranger is not a Pokemon Trainer. They are a person in the Pokemon world that has been seen with Pokemon. They don't go around the region capturing pokemon to be the very best. They don't use Pokeballs. They aren't fighting gym leaders for badges. They aren't trying to beat every pokemon trainer to be the very best. They are basically people in the pokemon world that captures Pokemon to have them help either people or pokemon in some sort of way.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
The thing is that the Pokemon Ranger is not a Pokemon Trainer. They are a person in the Pokemon world that has been seen with Pokemon. They don't go around the region capturing pokemon to be the very best. They don't use Pokeballs. They aren't fighting gym leaders for badges. They aren't trying to beat every pokemon trainer to be the very best. They are basically people in the pokemon world that captures Pokemon to have them help either people or pokemon in some sort of way.

...So?

Peach isn't a character that fights. She's always getting kidnapped. She's always relying on Mario to save her. Captain Falcon doesn't fight in his games either. He never fights. All he does is race in the F-Zero Grand Prix. He's always in his car. In SMASH, Peach kicks Bowser's ***. In SMASH, Captain Falcon uses his racer in ONE move. This is SMASH... not Pokemon.

The Pokemon Ranger could easily use the same concept as the Pokemon Trainer... you have to realize that canon means nothing within the Smash universe. That's why size doesn't matter. That's why Peach can kick Bowser's ***. That's why Mario can shoot fireballs without a fireflower. That's why Sonic can make springs magically appear under his feet. That's why the Pokemon Ranger having a similar concept as the Pokemon Trainer COULD WORK. No one cares if they "don't fight with Pokemon." That doesn't even matter...

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
...So?

Peach isn't a character that fights. She's always getting kidnapped. She's always relying on Mario to save her. Captain Falcon doesn't fight in his games either. He never fights. All he does is race in the F-Zero Grand Prix. He's always in his car. In SMASH, Peach kicks Bowser's ***. In SMASH, Captain Falcon uses his racer in ONE move. This is SMASH... not Pokemon.

The Pokemon Ranger could easily use the same concept as the Pokemon Trainer... you have to realize that canon means nothing within the Smash universe. That's why size doesn't matter. That's why Peach can kick Bowser's ***. That's why Mario can shoot fireballs without a fireflower. That's why Sonic can make springs magically appear under his feet. That's why the Pokemon Ranger having a similar concept as the Pokemon Trainer COULD WORK. No one cares if they "don't fight with Pokemon." That doesn't even matter...
Some of the RPGs, Super Princess Peach and Super Mario Bros 2. Then include the Mario Party, Mario Kart and Mario sport games, she does not act like a damsel in distress. Also, I said the Pokemon Ranger was not a Pokemon Trainer, so they don't belong on this thread. It's like talking about Ridley's chances on the Bowser Jr thread.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I am extremely confused on what we are arguing about...

Whether Pokemon Ranger is considered a trainer or not? Seems kind of.......(ーー;). I would consider him a off-shoot off the Pokemon trainer. And, in Smash, would work exactly like the Pokemon Trainer.

And arguing with SmasherMaster about Pokemon is like arguing with a brick wall.

It's like talking about Ridley's chances on the Bowser Jr thread.

Ummm....no. That is a horrible analogy. It would be more like talking about one of the Koopalings on Bowser Jr's thread. That are basically offshoots from each other that are connected by the franchise, similar characteristics and archetypes, and hold similar roles within their semi-franchises.

I say talk about the Pokemon Ranger is a legit branch of discussion in this thread.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I am extremely confused on what we are arguing about...

Whether Pokemon Ranger is considered a trainer or not? Seems kind of.......(ーー;). I would consider him a off-shoot off the Pokemon trainer. And, in Smash, would work exactly like the Pokemon Trainer.

And arguing with SmasherMaster about Pokemon is like arguing with a brick wall.

Ummm....no. That is a horrible analogy. It would be more like talking about one of the Koopalings on Bowser Jr's thread. That are basically offshoots from each other that are connected by the franchise, similar characteristics and archetypes, and hold similar roles within their semi-franchises.

I say talk about the Pokemon Ranger is a legit branch of discussion in this thread.

I'd see the Pokemon Ranger being where you play as the Pokemon Ranger and a Plusle/ Minun which is Nana + Pichu. Also, what is that suppose to mean?!

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
That is entirely possible and something that could work. Maybe i should have clarified more. I believe many people would still think that the Pokemon Ranger is a lot like the Pokemon Trainer. Therefore, many people would assume that he is a 2nd Trainer. I would even say that the Pokemon Ranger is similar, in both designs and role, to the Pokemon Trainer. While both the 2nd Pokemon Trainer and the Pokemon Ranger could be in the the less-then-likely Pokemon thread, I think the Pokemon Ranger can be discussed here too.

I assume you are asking by what I meant you being a brick wall. It is obvious that you are extremely biased towards Pokemon. Whenever you bring up a point or a statement - it has some connection with Pokemon. Whenever someone tries to argue a point; you always contest it and refuse to give in even when someone is using logic (i.e.spydr enzo). You also tend to think in Generational representation in Smash and, even when people present you logic and facts that Sakurai doesn't look at generation representation, you choose to ignore and keep on making the same argument. Just an observation I made.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well this conversation just went somewhere weird.

I thought over the N idea and decided to combine my "use Pokeball Pokemon" idea with the "N fights by himself one". As I see it N wouldn't sit back and just bark orders at his friends, the'd all do the work.

Jabs and tilts: punches and kicks
F-Smash: Vanilluxe- Vaniluxe appears in front of N and gives a short blast of cold air that hits multiple times
U-Smash: Sigliph- Sigliph briefly appears above N's head and damages those it touches.
D-Smash: Zorua- N sweeps the drown in front of him while Zorua attack the ground behind him

B: Staryu- N sends out Staryu who does rapid spin in front of him before firing off swift, albeit a lot less than the original version.
B-Side: Marill
B-up: Klingklang-N holds on to the underside of KlinKlang which spins and floats upwards
B-down: Zoroark- Zorua appears and assumes N's form, following him and copying his non-special attacks.

Nair: Koffing-

FINAL SMASH
Hero of Ideals: N summons Zerkrom (or Reshiram, which would be Hero of Truth) who attack the stage similar to Latas/os but much larger in size.

What do you think?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Well this conversation just went somewhere weird.

I thought over the N idea and decided to combine my "use Pokeball Pokemon" idea with the "N fights by himself one". As I see it N wouldn't sit back and just bark orders at his friends, the'd all do the work.

F-Smash: Vanilluxe- Vaniluxe appears in front of N and gives a short blast of cold air that hits multiple times
U-Smash: Sigliph- Sigliph briefly appears above N's head and damages those it touches.
D-Smash: Zorua- N sweeps the drown in front of him while Zorua attack the ground behind him

B: Staryu- N sends out Staryu who does rapid spin in front of him before firing off swift, albeit a lot less than the original version.
B-up: Klingklang-N holds on to the underside of KlinKlang which spins and floats upwards
B-down: Zoroark- Zorua appears and assumes N's form, following him and copying his non-special attacks.

Nair: Koffing-

FINAL SMASH
Hero of Ideals: N summons Zerkrom (or Reshiram, which would be Hero of Truth) who attack the stage similar to Latas/os but much larger in size.

What do you think?
Amazing! Not only it suits his physique and personality, it also manages to use most of his ionic Pokemon.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You can't have a team with Blaziken because he's banned

There ARE pokemon rangers in the pokemon world that do capture and train pokemon. It differs by what region they are in

"Rangers in Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova collect and train Pokémon just like other regular Pokémon Trainers"

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Darn it! I miss out a couple of the descriptions. Here's a new version

I thought over the N idea and decided to combine my "use Pokeball Pokemon" idea with the "N fights by himself one". As I see it N wouldn't sit back and just bark orders at his friends, they'd all do the work together.

N's playstyle is similar to summoner type characters in other fighting games. He is light and his special attacks are telegraphed but he's able to move around while his friends lock down space and block damage.

F-Smash: Vanilluxe
- Vaniluxe appears in front of N and gives a short blast of cold air that hits multiple times
U-Smash: Siglyph
- Siglyph briefly appears above N's head and damages those it touches.
D-Smash: Zorua
- N sweeps the ground in front of him while Zorua attack the ground behind him

B: Staryu
- N sends out Staryu who does rapid spin in front of him before firing off swift, albeit a lot less than the original version.
- Marill runs out and rams the opponent. Last less time than pokeball counter part
B-up: Klingklang
- N holds on to the underside of KlinKlang which spins and floats upwards
B-down: Zoroark
- Zoroark appears and assumes N's form, following him and copying his non-special attacks. Lasts 8 seconds and ends if Zoroark is attacked.

Nair: Koffing
- Koffing appears and surrounds N with damaging Gas

Taunts
1: Pets Zorua
2: Releases a Pidove
from his hands

3: Takes off his cap (Like in his BW2 art)

FINAL SMASH
Hero of Ideals: N summons Zerkrom (or Reshiram, which would be Hero of Truth) who attack the stage similar to Latias/os but much larger in size.

What do you think?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Darn it! I miss out a couple of the descriptions. Here's a new version

I thought over the N idea and decided to combine my "use Pokeball Pokemon" idea with the "N fights by himself one". As I see it N wouldn't sit back and just bark orders at his friends, they'd all do the work.

N's playstyle is similar to summoner type characters in other fighting games. He is light and his special attacks are telegraphed but he's able to move around while his friends lock down space and block damage.

U-Smash: Siglyph- Siglyph briefly appears above N's head and damages those it touches.

B-down: Zoroark- Zoroark appears and assumes N's form, following him and copying his non-special attacks. Lasts 8 seconds.

Nair: Koffing- Koffin appears and surrounds N with damaging Gas

Taunts
1: Pets Zorua
2: Releases a Pidove from his hands
3: Takes off his cap (Like in his BW2 art)

FINAL SMASH
Hero of Ideals: N summons Zerkrom (or Reshiram, which would be Hero of Truth) who attack the stage similar to Latias/os but much larger in size.

What do you think?
Much better. I hope Sakura takes consideration into that VgChartz Smash Poll since he was the Pokemon character to dominate it.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Wow, that is incredible. My question is that because he is exclusively 5th gen, and as of now (at least B/W, is he even in b2/w2?) has only used 5th gen pokemon, why does he have pokemon other than 5th gen?

Also, instead f putting their names put the actual pokemon with these: http://sprites.pokecheck.org/?gen=5
All pokemon in existence, well, not existing but having made existed, eh, you know what I mean, in it.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Wow, that is incredible. My question is that because he is exclusively 5th gen, and as of now (at least B/W, is he even in b2/w2?) has only used 5th gen pokemon, why does he have pokemon other than 5th gen?

Also, instead f putting their names put the actual pokemon with these: http://sprites.pokecheck.org/?gen=5
All pokemon in existence, well, not existing but having made existed, eh, you know what I mean, in it.
He is in Black and White 2 and has a few older gen Pokemon.

jigglover

Smash Lord
He is in Black and White 2 and has a few older gen Pokemon.
Oh thanks. I take it you find him in an aquatic area due to him having a staryu and marill?
I have to say, it might be a bit difficult to make the Zoroark attack work, so maybe just a counter? N takes out Zoroark in front of an attack, Zoroark transforms into the character that used the attack on him and uses the same attack with 5% more damage and knockback.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The reason I added Marill, Staryu and Koffing is that N's trademark is using only the pokemon found in the area he's in (apart from the final battle) and they are all "native" to smash bros.

SteliKingOfSpeed

Smash Cadet
In a ideal world, I'd have Mudkip as he was prominent in the anime and is internet famous. Grovyle as he is often squared with Ivysaur and to represent the Mystery Dungeon games, and Blaziken to represent May's main Pokemon from the anime and it is a popular Pokemon that is a fighting type and represents the recurring recent fire-fighting starters. Her chances can only be realistic with a R/S/E remake. And May as a female Pokemon Trainer is just as common as a male one.

I'd also like to see a Rival trainer such as Blue (since he can be called Gary to represent the Anime like some people called Red; Ash due to the similarities). The Rival trainer could have Pokemon from the 3 Generations not currently represented. Mudkip, Bayleef from the Anime with Ash and Infernape. But I would like to see some more unique typing in as N is recent and could represent a villain. I'd have these over Meowth, Zoroark, Deoxys and Victini any day!

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Mudkip/Grovyle/Blaziken is the only combination I'd be fine with if Squirtle/Ivy/Zard were replaced.

It also makes the most sense because we all know the inevitable 3rd generation remake is at least going to be starting production by the time Sm4sh is out. Having the above mentioned 3 in Sm4sh would be a good marketing move for Game Freak.

One could also argue that those 3 are the most iconic starters since the original 3.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
Mudkip/Grovyle/Blaziken is the only combination I'd be fine with if Squirtle/Ivy/Zard were replaced.

It also makes the most sense because we all know the inevitable 3rd generation remake is at least going to be starting production by the time Sm4sh is out. Having the above mentioned 3 in Sm4sh would be a good marketing move for Game Freak.

One could also argue that those 3 are the most iconic starters since the original 3.
For some reason I really like the idea of having low evolution water, mid-evolution grass and final evolution fire. It works perfectly for the first three generations. Besides the original and the one you mentioned, Totodile/Bayleef/Typhlosion also works out pretty well. Totodile is the most feisty of the first evo, Bayleef is the one Ash has for the longest time and Typhlosion is a slower but powerful badass.

jigglover

Smash Lord
And then you have Piplup, Grotle, Infernape.
Piplup is definitely the most popular of the starters and their evolutions for that matter.
I actually think a Monferno, Torterra would be better for these guys though. You have Torterra made popular (or at least more popular than Grotle) by Paul, and Monferno was pretty popular for that episode of the trainer's school, and also being very, very consistent in pokemon battle revolution.

aba1

Smash Apprentice
I think it would be interesting if they went up a generation every time a new smash bros game was released. So SSB4 would be 2nd gen and SSB5 would be 3rd gen (or 4th gen if they make a handheld smash with 3rd gen already)

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I would see May using Mudkip, Grovyle and Blaziken to be a unique character, Blaziken and Charizard are nothing alike same with Grovyle and Ivysaur and Mudkip and Squirtle

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
And then you have Piplup, Grotle, Infernape.
Piplup is definitely the most popular of the starters and their evolutions for that matter.
I actually think a Monferno, Torterra would be better for these guys though. You have Torterra made popular (or at least more popular than Grotle) by Paul, and Monferno was pretty popular for that episode of the trainer's school, and also being very, very consistent in pokemon battle revolution.
How would a Torterra pick up and throw things?

jigglover

Smash Lord
Plus, how would Turtwig or Grotle work also?
This just means that gen 4 can't get a PT! :troll:
Besides, Torterra is the only one in the line that can learn vine whip...

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
What about pyschic type pokemon? They use it with their mind and drop the item after being attacked once?

D

Deleted member

Hmm, after doing research, it appears that none of Turtwig's line can use Vine Whip.

We may have reached a legitimate problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom