• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Takes more than one to make a League: Other Pokemon Trainers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Do not fret, after some more research I found out that they can both learn leech seed. Although I knew this before, there is part of a description on bulbapedia that resolves this misfortune.
'The seed then sprouts into vines that wrap around the opponent's body and absorbs its energy'
There, problem solved!

D

Deleted member

Not really.
The seed is shot from Turtwig/Grotle/Torterra, hits the opponent, and vines wrap around them. The vines nor the seed itself are not connected to Turtwig/Grotle/Torterra.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Actually grass knot makes a lot more sense, giving that it has been shown in the anime still attacked the pokemon that has used it. And, it's not like smash exactly uses moves from the anime entirely directly, like double team!

D

Deleted member

Doesn't matter. Turning Double Team into a Substitution Jutsu technique is different from turning Leech Seed into a primary method of attack and grab like Vine Whip. It just doesn't work.
And I'm well aware you're going to use Rest as a counterexample. Jigglypuff still falls asleep, doesn't it? That's what the move does.
The results of the move may be different (healing vs. concentration of mass energy), but the premise remains the same.

SpatialPSI

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regent_EX
3DS FC
1091-7941-1344
Doesn't Grass Knot wrap a couple blades of grass around the opponent's feet and trip them? I could see that be work for grabs and throws, but for running around with items and grabbing onto ledges, I'd imagine bite or crunch.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Torterra holds the items in its tree and a branch either knocks it our or hit it making it fire.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Look, we can't just shoehorn a way just to justify it being playable. If there's no way for him to work, then he can't work.
Torterra's anatomy just isn't fit for mascot fighters. He's also a bit too large for this. He's huger than Venasaur and Meganium combined! Weighing a whopping 683.4lbs/310.0kg!

Turtwig's your best bet, due to the animated series giving him "Powerpuff Girl Hands"

I go with this because Infernape wouldn't work as a heavyweight.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Torterra was the only plant pokemon I liked using. Being type ground gave him access to better moves than most plant pokemon get

Plus Wood hammer is awesome

D

Deleted member

I cooked this up this morning. Thoughts? I could elaborate more on the individual moves of each Pokemon if you like, but it's pretty self explanatory.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Cool idea but I have no idea how they would be able to give Serperior or the bird (forget its name) a proper moveset with Smash mechanics.

We have yet to have a character without legs or one that mostly flies.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The term "He's/ She's/ I'm in a league of his/her/my own disagrees with the title

jigglover

Smash Lord
Why Arcanine? Unless it's something to do with black 2 (if it is just say it's something to do with black 2, it's the one series I don't like spoilers in) but I didn't think they were in it?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Why Arcanine? Unless it's something to do with black 2 (if it is just say it's something to do with black 2, it's the one series I don't like spoilers in) but I didn't think they were in it?
The Unova Dex was expanded to include Pokémon from the previous four gens, including Arcanine itself.

Besides, has anyone seen the anime trailer for Black 2 / White 2?

D

Deleted member

Cool idea but I have no idea how they would be able to give Serperior or the bird (forget its name) a proper moveset with Smash mechanics.

We have yet to have a character without legs or one that mostly flies.
Well, for Braviary, Pit, and Charizard are good starting points. Also I think the fact we've never seen them implemented is the precise reason we should add them in. To mix things up a bit.

As with Serperior, keep in mind Pikachu can't punch. So it would hit mostly with it's head and tail, and do body slam motions. But as a snake, I feel grappling moves favor it, so perhaps it's a grab heavy pokemon... That's the idea behind it.

Because as I metioned in the image, Nate has an Arcanine and Rosa has a Serperior in the trailer for B2W2. Black is seen with a Braviary in the Manga and art, and White with a Tepig.

I recommend you both watch the animated trailers for B2W2. They give you a good idea of how Arcanine and Serperior would fight. And I suppose the anime is a goog reference point for Braviary.

D

Deleted member

I'm aware of that, but why Arcanine? There are about 200(?) pokemon added, so my point still stands.
Two reasons:
1. Personal Bias, it's my favorite Pokemon.

2. (the more important reason), it's the iconic Pokemon of one of the Unova trainers (Nate/Kyouhei). The same way Pikachu, and Charizard are considered Red's pokemon, Eevee and Blastoise Blue's, etc, etc... Braviary, is Black's, Arcanine is Nate's, Tepig is White's, and Serperior is Mei's.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My favorite pokemon is Blastoise.

In order to get him, Blue would have to be in the game.

I say we put Blue in he game so I can fulfill my desire to play as Blastoise

D

Deleted member

My favorite pokemon is Blastoise.

In order to get him, Blue would have to be in the game.

I say we put Blue in he game so I can fulfill my desire to play as Blastoise
Well, Blue also has an Arcanine, so that would work out wouldn't it?

But then we wouldn't get to play as the delicious Gen5 Pokegirls like Mei and White.

Sorry, but I'll have to pass.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

But then we wouldn't get to play as the delicious Gen5 Pokegirls like Mei and White.

There names are Rosa and Hilda

Pokemon special names are not cannon

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Aren't they like 10?

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
I just want Rival Blue and his Blastoise/Charmeleon/Bulbasaur

cmon people, Blastoise! He'd be like a more awesome Bowser, and he has guns! (water)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think a more logical team for him would be Blastoise, Arcanine and Machamp

Arcanine and Machamp are the only pokemon he has in all his appearances, and Blastoise is his "Canon" starter

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
I think a more logical team for him would be Blastoise, Arcanine and Machamp

Arcanine and Machamp are the only pokemon he has in all his appearances, and Blastoise is his "Canon" starter

Him having all those big pokemon is somewhat of an overkill in my opinion though.

I'm going for the other evolved form of the starters to make him more of Brawl's Pokemon Trainer's nemesis.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They could go with Growlithe, Machop, Blastoise

Edit: Whatever the heck Machamp's second evolution is. Not Machop

D

Deleted member

You should recognise it for the clear sexual implications from the name; Machoke.

D

Deleted member

Aren't they like 10?
No Pokemon Trainer in the games is 10.

Also, "White" is a stupid name.
That's not what the anime says

The trainers in BW & B2W2 are implied to be older than the original trainer. Mei is also the first Pokegirl to actually have visible breasts in the official art. We could assume they are somewhere around 16, maybe a bit younger, 14 at the youngest.

Besides who cares what their ages ACTUALLY are. They're ****ing cartoons. This is anime, where Yoko from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is actually 14, yet Kotana from Lucky Star is 18 (if you don't know who these characters are, you need to stop living under a rock). The general rule of thumb with anime is, if she LOOKS mature, then that's good enough, unless you're into loli's, which some people are... Anyway, point being, the fanart usually depicts the trainers as much older and mature, since a large portion of the Pokemon fanbase is made up of college students. So when people say, "so and so, is best pokegirl," chances are they are going by the fanart depictions, which DO indeed make awesome representations of the trainers.

Oh, and "White" is an infinitely better name than ****ing "Hilda."

Or are you gonna say that, Red, Blue, Green, Gold, Silver, Crystal etc... are stupid names too?

The only trainers that got decent original names are, May, Brendan, Barry, and Dawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom